*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1344160-Island-of-the-Four-Winds
Rated: E · Short Story · Mythology · #1344160
Grandmother tells the story of the North Winds
         A young boy huddled in the arms of his grandmother near the fire. They were wrapped in layers of animal skins and blankets but the cold still crept its way through the layers and the icy Northern winds whipped around their skin.
         “Nani? Why are the Northern winds so cold?” the young boy asked his grandmother burying himself deeper in her arms.
         “My dear young’un. The great lady who creates these winds is cold.”
         “But why? The other boys in the village say she used to be a kind being.”
         “Those boys don’t know nothing, misbehaving lil’ rascals. Let Nani tell you the real story of the great Lady of the North.

         “Off the coast of our great country, Eos, lays a very old island called Astraeus. Nobody traveled there because many feared that the journey was too perilous. Sea was rough and mean. He didn’t like humans very much but had made a promise years ago that he wouldn’t intentionally harm humans. But that’s another story.
         “Not only was Sea an angry thing to deal with, the other winds could be just as dangerous. Not only did South, East, and West control the winds of their names, they set traps along the shore so that any surviving shipwrecked sailors that washed ashore, they would begin on a long road of suffering.”
         “Nani, how did the four winds get to the island?”
         “Chil’, when they were very young children, no more than five the story says, they were taken to the island by their cruel father, who never wanted children, and were left there. It was then they learned they could control the winds. Now deary, try not to interrupt so much.
         “The four children only had one another day in and day out. The needs of their human bodies adapted to their new environment. The magic they absorbed from this island changed the way their human bodies worked. They only needed to eat once a day and they rarely needed sleep, although they did because sleep is one of the greatest pleasures in any beings life.
         “As they got older, they were able to control the winds that their names suggested. South controlled the warm, moist wind, East controlled the warm winds that took rain to the mainland and West controlled the dry winds that usually took drought and famine to the mainland. Because they only had one another, they did not understand what was right and wrong so they were very rambunctious and caused as much trouble as they could to amuse themselves. Sometimes they would merge their winds to cause storms that would cause the sailors to fall into the ocean and drown. They enjoyed the sound boats made when the sunk into the icy graveyard below the surface.”
         “What about North?”
         “I’m gettin’ to it. Don’t rush me. North was the opposite of her brothers and had enough common sense to know that what they did to amuse themselves was wrong. But what could she do against three older and much stronger boys. North did her best to control her brothers but she could only do so much. Because her winds were cooling and kind, the people rejoiced in the relief. She did what she could to help sailors get safely home and send soft rain to help struggling crops.
         “I told you before that they only ate once a day. Because they lived on four different points on the island, they wouldn’t physically see each other. So, when it was time to fill their stomachs with the fruits of the island and the see, they would walk their own paths to the center of the island where they built a grand buffet table. The food was fit for kings and queens and they ate hardily, wasting none of it. If there were leftovers, they would give them to Sea to give to his servants.
         “During these festivities, the four of them would share stories about their day. The brothers were always eager to speak and frequently interrupted one another while North sat back and watched her only family struggle for attention. South would usually go first and tell of the new traps he had set upon the shore. Some were by magic and were formed so that if something besides the four of them got near it, it would be caught in a net. West and East would tell of havoc that they may have caused on the mainland. One day, they would send pouring rain to the villages and drown crops. The next day they would make sure there were no winds or clouds and that the heat could reach the surface to burn the crops.
         “North’s story would always be the same. With her winds, she would walk down her shore and clear any traps that her brothers may have set without her permission. Some times she would collect shells and make wind chime in the trees.
         “Her brother’s quickly made her finish her stories because they found them boring. They would separate soon afterward and vow to see one another the next day at the same time.
         “Deep in her heart, she wished for something more than what her brothers could give her. She wanted love. They didn’t know this of course because she knew that they would make fun of her. They had before when she made the comment of being lonely.
         “‘What are you lonely for?’ they would ask. ‘You have us!’
         “She would leave the conversation at that because their laughter hurt her heart.
         “What North did not know, however, was that her brothers were also keeping a secret. Before their father had left the island, he cruelly told them that North would leave them for a man. She would love him with her whole heart and she would forget all about the three of them.
         “Her brothers did not reveal this prophecy and silently agreed among themselves to never let it pass. That is the reason they set up traps along the shore and asked Sea to do the same. They feared losing their sister because she was the only one that they could count on.”
         “So that’s why they did such horrible things!”
         “Yes, sir. Let me finish now. One bright day, North was walking along the beach as she usually did encouraging her wind along the shore when she found something very interesting.”
         “What!?”
         “There he was. A man. She approached this being with a little fear because the only other men she had ever seen where her brothers. As she approached his body, she realized that he was alive but his breathing was very shallow.
         “North’s heart began to beat wildly and questions filled her mind. The most important question was how did he survive a storm and end up on the beach. Fate’s hand had put him there, but North new very little about Fate. Those thoughts left her mind as other thoughts replaced them. He had dark curly hair that was matted to his face from the water. It made North wonder what color his eyes were. She laughed to herself at this thought.
         “Then she realized that this man would die if she didn’t get him off of the shore. He may have escaped the dangers of the sea, but if he was found by her brothers, his life would end. They showed no mercy to those who survived Sea and she knew that. Quickly, North took the man to her house. She cleaned his wounds and left him on her feather bed to rest.
         “Many days after she found the man, she cared for his wounds praying in her heart that he would wake up soon. She sung him sweet songs that only he could use to heal his mind and body from the beating it had received during his journey. Each day at sundown, North would walk to the center of the island, as she had done since they began the tradition, to meet her brothers for their daily meal. She listened to them as usual and when they asked what she had done that day she replied,
         “‘I walked along the shore and picked up shells and cleared it of any traps that I may have missed.’ She smiled to herself as her brothers cut her off from any more boring details and said their goodbyes. As she walked back to her home, her heart felt light and airy.
         “This continued for half a year. The man had not awakened, although he was still alive and healing very well. North’s magic and tender care had kept him alive and healthier than any average human. North continued her walks on the beach, although they were much shorter and always attended the gathering with her brothers. She held back her secret every time they asked her how her day went.
         “One evening, after returning from her meal, she found that the man was no longer where she left him. As she began to search the house, he walked out of a back room, wide eyed and startled.
         “He stared at her for a moment, captivated by the radiant glow of her beauty. ‘Where am I?’ he asked.
         “She did not answer the question right away because she herself was startled that he was awake and walking around. ‘I am North,’ she replied softly, lacing her voice with magic so that he would not panic.
         “‘You’re the Lady of the North Winds?’ he gasped. ‘Am I on Astraeus? How have I survived?’
         “North continued to speak softly to him. ‘I’m afraid I’m not quite sure myself. I was walking along the beach one day and there you were, lying on the sand. What is your name stranger? How did you come to lie upon my beach?’
         “‘My name is Gemini, gentle Lady, from the Northern sky. My crew and I were traveling toward the Western sky to trade with the people there. I believe the emergence of a Southern and Eastern wind caused a great storm which sank our ship. I suppose I am the only remaining member of my crew.’ Gemini lowered his head and let a tear fall, careful not to let North see it.
         “‘You are more than welcome to stay in my house until you completely recover from your injuries. However, I must ask you not to leave this place. If my brothers find you here, they will kill you.’
         “He bowed to her because she was so beautiful and so great, ‘Thank you, Great Lady. I am greatly humbled by your generosity and stunned by your beauty.’
         “Several days, then weeks passed and Gemini continued to stay in the comfort of North’s home.”
         “Didn’t he want to go home, Nani? Didn’t he have a family?”
         “He had no family like you do deary. And after meeting the Great Lady of the North, he did not wish to go home. North would continue her daily routine only adding the gathering of clams and oysters to take back to Gemini.
         “Gemini told her the story of his life and how he had become a sailor. He told her how he was orphaned as a little boy and a kind ship’s captain adopted him in return for working on his ship. He told her of his many adventures and how often he prayed he would stay safe each time he left to go on a voyage.
         “North would listen kindly to Gemini’s words, as she did her brothers. But it was different. His words were filled with true emotion and it made her heart melt just to hear him speak. She stayed captivated by his deep soothing voice and told herself she could listen to him for hours. North returned the storytelling by telling him about her life on the island. She told him how their father had left them and how the island changed them. She told him that sometimes, she could still hear her mother’s voice call out to them but she could never return the call to let her know that they were alright.
         “North continued to join her brothers each evening while losing interest in everything they said. Before she would leave, Gemini would ask where she was going.
         “‘My dear, do not worry about such things. I will return as I have always done before.’
         “Every night for a year she told him this and every night he trusted her. Something about this goddess of a woman made him understand her reason for leaving him. This trust in her grew into more than trust. He realized that he loved her.
         “On her evening walk home, North stopped and looked into the heavens. A feeling like no other washed over her and she too realized that she loved Gemini. Her heart broke at the thought of her brothers discovering him. Although she loved him with everything she had, she had to find a way to return him to the mainland without them finding out. She told herself that she could live through the heartache as long as she knew he was alive and safe.
         “That same night was one she would never forget. Gemini was waiting for her at the door. His smile lit up the sad thoughts in her heart and without a word, he kissed her. It was nothing she had ever experienced. Her insides lit on fire and warm sensations started at her toes and went all the way to the top of her head. She never wanted him to leave, but she also knew that he was not completely happy.
         “Gemini wanted fresh air. He had been in this house for over a year and a half. The little breeze coming through the windows did not satisfy him. He wanted to taste the sea air and smell the salt water again. His body longed to be on the open sea, fishing for trout. He wanted to lie on the beach and soak up the warm sun.
         “But he knew North’s warning. And he understood the reason behind it. His human desires, however, overcame North’s warning. After all, the beach wasn’t that far and he wouldn’t go for very long. Just long enough to see the sea.
         “That evening, North kissed him goodbye before meeting her brothers. Although he knew it she reminded him ‘Remember, do not leave this house!’
         “He watched from the window as she disappeared down the long, well-worn path. When he could no longer see her, he ran out of the door and down to the beach to dip his toes in the water.
         “Meanwhile, North sat at the table and patiently waited for her brothers to join her. She continued to sit alone for more than a half hour, until she heard something that she hoped to never hear.
         “It was a blood curdling scream that cut through the air like a hot knife through butter.
         “North ran down the path faster than she’s ever run in her entire life. Her heart beat as fast as her feet hit the ground.
         “When she reached the beach, her eyes beheld a site that she thought would not come to pass.
         “Her brothers had long swords in their hands and were hacking away at something in between them. A horrifying and grotesque form lay between them and their laughter overcame the screaming that had died down.
         “‘NO!!!! Stop!!!’ North screamed rushing to her brothers and pushing them away from Gemini. She fell on her knees next to his broken and bloody body and gathered him in her arms. She wept over him and confessed her undying love for him as his spirit left his body.
         “She kissed his forehead. She used her winds to push his body far into the air and into the Northern sky were he was born and where she could see him for the rest of eternity.
         “She then turned on her brothers and the winds that she controlled swirled around her like a hurricane swirls in the ocean. Her whole appearance and heart changed.
         “The change in North was quick. Her hair became wisps of ice and her eyes turned from a gray blue to an icy blue. Her lips were so blue they were almost black. Her skin turned whiter than the whitest snow in the Artic. Her heart became still and turned into a block of ice that no fire would be able to melt.
         “North’s brothers shrunk in fear as she towered over them.
         “‘Because of you, my winds will no longer be cool and comforting. The will be forever bitter cold and will overpower all others just like you three have done all your lives!”
         “The future was set. During the winter months, during the anniversary of Gemini’s death, they were the coldest and harshest days of the years, like right now. North would make all lives feel the pain her heart was feeling.
         “South, East and West were able to subdue her temper, anger and pain throughout the rest of the year by over powering her winds. Because they had to control her, they could no longer play tricks on the mainlanders and had to find ways to help them. Only when they weren’t paying attention to their duties did anyone drown from a ship wreck. Every day she would visit the shore where she found her one and only true love.
         “Is that a true story, Nani?”
         “Of course it is, Orion! Why would I make something like that up? Just remember that when it is cold, North is sad, so we must endure the pain with her.”
© Copyright 2007 Kendall (penquin53 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1344160-Island-of-the-Four-Winds