*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1344441-Thump-If-You-Believe
Rated: E · Other · Children's · #1344441
Emily & her guide dogs rescue their parents from evil squirrel army.NaNo story in progress
  New sunlight creeps on through the sky blue and baby white thread onto to the slab of marble. A most fancy windowsill. Slowly the sunlight makes it's way through plush carpet and up the wooden bars. Though one cannot touch sunlight sunlight is able to warm or burn anyone in the way. Sunlight cannot penetrate blankets especially quilts with frolicking faeries patched on to them. Sunlight can, however, can drip into the eyes of a sleeping child starting at the corner of the eye then becoming stronger forcing a transparency like effect of the eyelid. This is what happened to Emily every morning.
It seemed like any other morning but this morning would be terribly different. Emily does not know this yet so we will wake up with her and discover what is so different about this morning. The pink fleshy curtains also known as her eyelids are slowly drawn open. Emily is greeted by Mr. Oges. Mr. Oges is a happy yet demanding creature. He is of the Golden Retriever species with magical curls and a tail that thumps obnoxiously. Mr. Oges makes sure he is there to witness Emily's awakening. This task is a considerate one as well as selfish. See, Oges thrives on attention. I cannot prove this but I am almost sure without the proper affection and doting Mr. Oges would shrivel away. Curls and all. It is imperative that people love him from the moment they wake up. Which is how Emily finds herself human nose to doggy nose. Dog noses are not pleasant despite what nursery rhymes may say. Nursery rhymes are trickery. Dog noses are actually cold, drippy and clammy. Mr. Oges knows this and also knows that he must compete with the rays of light coming through the window to wake up his beloved Emily. Mr. Oges wants to be the first to receive attention and loves in the morning over every other living being in the household. When Emily awakes. Eye contact is made and the thumping of Mr.Oges' tail begins.

    The thumping of Mr. Oges' tail is a sort of trumpet to let the kingdom know that Princess Emily is awake. All must come to her bedside and worship her. No. Worship them both. No actually just worship him. In any case the thumping of the golden is of much importance as it is a confirmation that the day is beginning. The thumping alerts Aunt Sadie. Aunt Sadie is of the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog Species. Sadie is Emily's personal body guard and protector. She is also the protector of all that resides in her home. When Mr. Oges' tail thumps Sadie makes her wait to greet Emily and wish her a good morning.

    Both dogs are at Princess Emily's attention. Emily may be an infant but she bestows praises on both of her furry guardians as they are her best friends as well. Pleasantries are exchanged. Kisses in the form of licks are showered on Emily. Emily responds with gratitude with gurgles, screeches and screams. To the adult human ear this exchange of greetings does not sound like a greeting at all but is that of utter cuteness. Little do Emily's parents know that important information concerning the day are being discussed between the beasties and the infant.

    It is that of Emily's parents in which this story is about. After the tail has thumped, smiles, sloppy kisses and screeches have been exchanged the beasties make their way to the master bedroom to announce that Emily is awake. The excitement that everyone in the kingdom will be awake is heard from the screeching infant and the tapping of beasties claws on the hardwood floor. The beasties jump on the bed. Each beastie to their designated or favorite human. Mr. Oges favors mom and Aunt Sadie's heart belongs to dad. This morning the jumping of the beasties was not quite the same as there were no human lumps under the blankets or quilts. The breath of the kingdom had stopped in this moment. The long breathless moment (approximately 14 seconds) was broken by the deafening sound of Emily's fussing.

    Mr. Oges thought the absence of the humans was a game specifically created for him. He would be brave and courageous and find the humans and then would be handsomely rewarded with milk bone showers and never ending praises. Sadie thought otherwise. Deep down in her beastie guty-wuts she knew they had disappeared. Something wasn't right. The humans would not leave without saying good-bye. In her little beastie heart, though, there was some light. Maybe they were playing a game and her and Ogie must find them. Sadie shot off the bed and out of the room. Sadie employed Ogie and a search was announced. Every room was searched. No humans. Sadie thought to herself “we much change tactics since all rooms have been searched. We must now search behind loose doors and open closets. How I wish we could turn door knobs!” Panic. There was panic. Yes, panic was setting in. Panic! PANIC! Sadie's pace becomes faster and faster. Mr. Oges has grown tired of looking just after a few minutes. He is now wondering when he will be get his morning rangs. Rangs are beastie food. There are two scoops of real orangutan in every bag. With that explanation out of the way we can continue onto the question of who will feed them rangs? Who will walk them?! As Sadie's pace hastens across the hardwood floor, up and down the stairwell Emily's screeching is turning into shrieking. The baby must be fed and cleaned as babies can be filthy, nasty things if left sitting too long. Sadie was thinking of all of this but after a lengthy and meticulous search the parents of the infant, the king and queen of the kingdom could not be found. Now Sadie's thoughts were wondering about food and walks and potty. Especially potty now that she thinks about it.
We are now at a point of desperation here in our story. The infant is an impatient creature who is giving one of her finest performances of fussiness and frustration. The beasties are on the verge of starvation as they were only fed the evening before. That does not count the midnight cookie run. They are frantic but most of all their beastie bladders are at full capacity. There are no humans to attend to all of these creatures who are hopelessly incapable of turning door knobs.
There is, however, one creature who has watched this unfold long before the sunlight dripped into Emily's eyes. She is neither of the beastie or human persuasion but she has been laughing loudly this whole time. A laugh that is not audible to earthy ears but loud nonetheless. The laughter becomes so loud that it officially breaks the fantasy world barrier into the human world and becomes a high pitched noise that only can be heard by beasties. At the moment this sound barrier has broken into earthly audible levels the beasties respond. The little exhibitionist stops and realizes what has happened. Her eyes grow larger that that of those hideous earthly Bratz dolls and she gets a temporary case of clucker flesh also known in the human world as goose skin. She hears the approaching tappity tap tap of the beastie claws on that undeniable hardwood floor. They don't see her right away but they will. She knows it. She's not scared though because despite the adrenaline rush through her 4 foot wing span she's here for a reason. She's been expecting this just not with so much beastie teeth which are coming at her. The beasties have found the source of the high pitched screaming also known as a faerie laugh. Emily's room on the marble windowsill. The laughing has ceased and has ended with a thud.
The powerful blow of beastie halitosis mixed with the terrifyingly loud beastie barks forced the fairy to flee for her little winged life. She had forgotten, though, that there was earthly glass of the window behind her.
“Blasted Windex!” She exclaimed as she slide down the glass.
The beasties have stopped barking. Both looked at the ridiculous human insect thing with awe and confusion. The faerie pulls herself together. She straightens her glittering yet ravaged dress and begins to squawk at the beasties.
The beasties simultaneously tilt their heads right. Utterly confused despite their hunger and full bladders. It seams like the faerie is trying to communicate with them. Their tumblies are growling and it occurs to them that this insect thing might be a scrumptious morsel. They usually would never stoop so low as to eat insects but this was not the usual situation.
The faerie looks at the beasties and realizes that they are confused. She is reminded that in this world of human and beasties her language is not only not audible but useless to understand. She does the hokey pokey and turns herself around. There is sparkling dust everywhere making the dogs sneeze and herself as well.
“How rude! Who do you think you are. You have ruffled my brand new spankin Armani dress. Do you know how many mushroom spots I had to spend on this this dress!?!”
We now have flabbergasted beasties at this talking insect. It occurs to them that they are able to understand this insect thingy and they are able to communicate with it. “We're sorry we have never seen such a hideous...ahem...lovely insect before.” Sadie Calmly replied.
“Insect! INSECT!! You have just about ruined my new dress and then you call me a hideous insect?”
“I do apologize. Notice I did correct myself and said lovely insect.”
“The POINT is you called me an insect. I am NOT an insect” the faerie replies with disgust. We now have an an upset disgusted faerie.
Thump.(fast) Thump. Thump. Thump. (Faster) Thump. Thump. Thump. (Fastest) Thump! Thump!
“You wanna be friends!? Huh? Huh? Hug? Oh please say you do!! I'll be your friend forever. Pollleeeeazzzzze!” pleads Mr. Oges.
“You nozzle hawk! We don't even know if this...this faerie can be trusted. Maybe we should eat it” replies Sadie as she thrusts her blackest of blackest nose up to the faerie's face.
“Well you will trust me if I tell you I know where your King and Queen are. Hows that for an insect.”
Sadie backs off.
Mr. Oges pipes in. “Does this mean we are friends? Huh? Huh? Huh?”
Thump.(fast) Thump. Thump. Thump. (Faster) Thump. Thump. Thump. (Fastest) Thump! Thump!
“Where are Emily's Parents? What did you do with them? Sadie growls lowly
“Well if want to get any information out of me you are going to have to be less rude. A proper introduction is also in order. I will start. My name is Yen and I am of the faerie kind. My favorite color is purple. Now you. I got your name” pointing at Mr. Oges “You are nozzle hawk. Your curls and obnoxious tail will come in handy. And your name is?” Pointing to Sadie with her right arm and the other on her left jutting hip.
Ogie butts in in front of Sadie interrupting her before she could speak.
“My name is actually Mr. Oges or Ogie if you prefer. Nice to meet your acquaintance. Do you want to be friends? Huh? I will be your best friend.”
“Well Mr. Oges I would love to be your friend. It is a pleasure to meet you.”
Mr. Oges' tail thumps with approval
Both Yen and Mr. Oges turn to Sadie. Sadie replies, “My name is Sadie and I am the protector of this family. Both of us.”
“It is a pleasure to meet you both. Now lets get to the reason of why I am here and why your humans have gone a missing.
Sadie politely interrupts. “Ogie and I need to go to the bathroom very much. Would you be so kind and turn the door knob for us?”
“Oh yes. Gross. Beastie bladders.” Yen flies off of the marble windowsill toward the door. She cannot open the door knob by herself so she calls for some reinforcements. She whistles and two more faeries show up.
“On three. One. Two. Three!” Yen instructs.
The door knob is freed from it's latch. Sadie knows what to do. With her nose she pries open the door and lets her and Mr. Oges out to the back yard.
“Hideous things they are.” Yen says to the other two faeries.


"We will start our journey tomorrow." Said Yen
"Shouldn't we start right away?  The sooner we start the sooner we can rescue our humans." Asked Sadie
"General Scurio will keep your humans alive if we start out now or tomorrow.  Our informants tell us that your humans are alive and well. General Scurio may want vengeance but he wants something more.  He wants ransom.  We aren't sure what exactly he wants but he doesn't torture. He wants to keep them alive while he waits for you. Besides we need to pack. We need to assemble a small survival team.  A team for your survival, nourishment and well being." Explained Yen.''

"OK" said Sadie unsure but trusting. "Let's get started."

"We faerie folk are able to travel easily between the fantasy realm and the human realm.  So we will be bringing your rangs and baby formula for your nourishment when you get hungry.  We also have clean, clear, geardia free water for to quench your thirst."

"If you don't mind we would like to use your backs to carry our small caravan of troops.  We will build it and attach it so that it will fit like a saddle.  It will be constructed with tents and chairs.  It will not be a burden to you but it will be a great help to us." 

"Of course!  You are friends right?  We're friends now right? Huh? Huh?  I will help my winged friends!" Pleads Mr. Oges.

"Of course we are friends, Mr. Oges" Said Tara "We LOVE you!!"  All three faeries kiss Mr. Oges on his flaring brown nose."

Thump.  Thump.  Thump.  Mr. Oges' tail thumped so hard that it bounced the other fairies sitting on the ground.  The faeries all giggled  and left uncontrollably.  Mr. Oges had more friends then he could ever imagine. 

While the faeries, beasties and Emily constructed a plan to get Emily's parents back the other Tarafina faeries were constructing the beastie saddles and getting ready for the trip.  The sun was setting and the crew were talking and laughing as if they had known each other for decades.

If you were among the faerie, gnome or forest folk that were listening from the above weeping willow limbs you would have the following.

"It is hard to say what we will encounter in the forest but be rest assured that whatever it is we come across it will be like nothing you've ever seen or dealt with before.  Please be cautious and depend on us to communicate with the creatures of the forest."  Yen with her stern yet gentle expression.

"We understand" Said Emily as she kissed all 10 faeries on all 10 of her fingers.

"Will there be scary things in the forest?  I just want to be friends." Said Mr. Oges.  There were a line of faeries on his tail.  They held on tight as he swung his tail from side to side.  The faeries giggled with glee by the warm glow of the fire.

"I suspect we will not get through unscathed.  At most we may encounter the green faerie and Walpole the wannabe womping Santa." Explains Yen

"Eeeeee!  If we do encounter the green faerie we will have to protect Emily." shivered Che.

"Me? Why?!"  asked Emily

Tara explained. "The green faerie enjoys biting and pinching human children.  At night she travels to the human realm when children are sleeping and pinch them and bite them.  When wake up their parents think that spiders and bed bugs have left the bites on their beloved children.  Innocent spiders and bed bugs have perished wrongly because of the green faerie's tyranny.  We cannot let her bite Emily."

"If we encounter Walpole we will know because his part of the forest is the coldest part of the forest.  Walpole was kicked out of the north pole by Kris Kringle.  Walpole was Kringle's right hand man and was to exceed Kringle in the event of his death.  Kringle wanted to make and deliver presents to all the well behave children of the world.  Walpole thought that children smelled like Gorgonzola and should not be seen or smelled in public. Kringle disagreed and felt that Walpole would hurt the children he was trying to reward. Kringle served him an eviction notice and he chooses to move into the fantasy realm where children are nowhere to be found.

"He misses the north pole and its''s coldocity so he has hired some goons to steal a refrigerator from the human realm and bring it into the fantasy realm as his palace.  He keeps the fridge door open and  refuses to close it contributing to energy waste and global warming of our realm."

"Sounds exciting" says Emily sarcastically.

"There is sure to be other surprises and it's hard to tell what we will encounter in the realm.  We must stick together. "

All agree and make a pact that they will protect their chothers."

The sun has gone down.  The Tarafinas are packed and ready for the journey that starts tomorrow at the drop of the golden sun.  Though it's a warm night Emily sleeps between her most trusted furry protectors.  They don't know know what trials they will face but they will face them together.  They will bring back Emily's parents home and they will all sleep on the bed cloud like the way it was. The way it's supposed to be.  But for now they must be strong and get a good night's sleep.  The realm awaits them.



--------------------

Psshhooooooo!  Nine faeries are lined up on Ogie's tail.  Pshoooooooshhhhh!  That noise you hear is Benjamin faerie blowing into the nostrils of Ogie.  Benjamin's right side of his head is flat on the ground looking up the  nose of Mr. Oges.  Before he even draws open is furry eyelids Mr. Oges starts wagging his tail.  The nine faeries hold on tight.  This is what the faeries had been waiting for.  It was a contest to see who could stay on the longest.  The winner would get five daisy medallions.    Daisy medallions are worth much more than mushroom spots so one can imagine all nine faeries are hanging on as long as they can. 

Mr. Oges was was used to waking Emily up every morning.  He was absolutely flattered that someone was nose to clammy nose with him.  The nose that was not clammy, as I was saying earlier, belonged to Benjamin.  But Mr. Oges was about to find out for himself. 

"Are you my friend?" asked Mr. Oges
"Not only are you my friend but I am your personal assistant.  I will keep you groomed and keep you company.  I must say that I am terribly excited to be your friend."
Mr. Oges is happy beyond his wildest doggy dreams. 

At this point Emily and Sadie have awakened as well finding faeries all over them.  All around them.  Curious.  All of them.  Fluttering not buzzing like bees.  Fluttering.  You will find it best to refer to it as fluttering and not buzzing.

The day is beginning thus the journey is beginning.  The Tarafinas have been preparing all night.  Sadie and Mr. Oges are fitted with their saddles that will hold the temporary apartments for the participating Tarafina's.

There is a party going on in the village of the Tarafinas.  A goodbye party and a dance for their safe return.  It's festive. It's colorful like an Indian wedding faerie style. The beasties and the child are celebrating as well but they must be careful where they step as to not squish any of their new friends.  What a disaster that would be.  Smashing your new found friends who will help you save your humans is not a good way to start a journey.

It's here. The moment has arrived.  They all gather on the recycled tire path.  Yen is riding on Sadie's neck and Benjamin is riding on Ogie's.  Emily is walking between them and this  is how they will walk for a good part of their journey. 

As they walk away their waves are returned.  Kisses are blown and when they meet a peacock firework is born.  There is much rejoicing, worry and anticipation.'

The weather is perfect.  San Diego perfect but this was not San Diego.  The beasties really loved the spongy path.  It was much softer and dog pad friendly than their allies that they were used to at home.  The smells were different as the sources were different than anything they had ever seen.  The plants, the flowers, the creatures were all different. 

They were either silent talking all this in or they were asking so many questions.  Their friends were all to happy to explain every blade of foreign foliage and every exotic breathing creature. There was so much to learn. 

Earlier that morning Yen and Benjamin fed the beasties.  Che and Tara took care of Emily's needs.  If there is a cause there is bound to be an effect.  The effect that I refer to is that of doggy doo-doo.  Both beasties gave each other that look that only beastie's with full bladders can understand.  Where will they go doops?  Who will pick up after them?

Little do they know that the Tarafinas have already resolved this small detail. 

"Yen.  Where can Mr. Oges and I make doops?"  Sadie says politely and shyly.

"Wherever you see small patches of farmland.  You see, your doops are great fertilizer and can fertilize crops guaranteeing many good crop years."

Mr. Oges didn't wait to hear the end.  He found the nearest small patch of farmland and did his business.  To his surprise a small Gnome came running out flaying his short arms and yelling in what seemed to be a tone of praise.  In fact the little gnome was blowing kisses.  Never  before had Mr. Oges been rewarded for pooping in someone's yard. These, these gnome things loved his poo!  What a fabulous world! 

Thump! Thump! Thump!

Sadie and Emily were confused at this point.  Benjamin went on to explain.  "Your poo is helping us fund our trip.  Because your poo ensures a prosperous garden and crops the creatures of the realm are ready to pay for your poo.  A very handsome sum indeed." 

Sadie find herself another field to bless and another gnome come out flaying his arms throwing money at Sadie. 

"There are some in the forest who are not well off and very poor but they will find the money somehow to pay as it will ensure their harvest which will ensure their livelihood."

"If they are too poor to pay we will not make them pay." Emily says firmly.  My parents helped the poor and have taught me to do so.  Do they forest folk find gold of value?  Gems?"

"Yes."  replies Yen

"I will have Che and Tara get my jewelry from the human realm and pay their fee if they cannot afford it."  Instructs Emily. 

All are touched by Emily's request.  Emily's parents have gold and genuine hearts.  A pure gold heart has truly been passed to their beloved child.

With the doopes dilemma resolved they now continue on their way.  They collect payment from the ecstatic and appreciative gnomes. The gnomes started to cultivate their valuable fertilizer and the party was on their way down the recycled tire path.

As they walked they talked.  Sadie told how she was rescued by Emily's parents from the local animal shelter.  She was so scared. The floor was so cold and she shivered in fear and because she was cold.  Most of all she was so very lonely.  She had been named Olga.  Emily's parents were in need of a companion of the canine persuasion.  Their eyes met and it was magic.  Sadie had a home.  She was appreciative and was ever in debt for saving her life.  She loved mom but her heart belonged to dad.

"And then... And then it was a year later and they needed more love and a FRIEND and then...then they found me."  Explained Mr. Oges.  Mr Oges was a member of the Golden Retriever Rescue.  He came from Kansas.  When he met Sadie she seemed rather uninterested.  She was more into hunting the local guinea pigs that being his friend.  The humans however were captivated by his curls and his outgoing personality. It is still not known to them why paperwork was needed for them to become friends but become friends they did.  Though Mr. Oges loved dad his heart and curls belonged to mom.

Mom and dad decided to make a lifetime pact and also decided to make another human. Mr. Oges firmly believes that this other human was made specifically for him.  The humans loved him so much that they made a friend just for Mr. Oges.  Sadie new better.  She knew that this new small human was another special member to protect.  The smells of both mom and dad where in this one tiny human.  All took a vow to protect this child. 1250

"Ouch" Emily exclaimed as she smacked her arm. "Ouch!" Again as she smacks the back of her neck.  To Mr. Oges and Sadie there was some concern with a tad bit of sympathy.  They understand.  They are victims of pesky insects.  But to the Tarafinas this was cause for alarm. 

"Let me see those" said Yen.  Yen checked out her arm and Benjamin check out her neck. 

"Yep.  What do you got?"  Benjamin asked Yen

"Yep. I got it here too." Confirmed Benjamin

At this point there is alarm from human and beastie.  The all look at each other with confusion and yes, a little bit of dread.  Dread of the unknown.

"Would you be so kind to tell me what I am or might be suffering from?"

"You, my dear child, you have been  the recent victim of the green faerie.  I was afraid of this but I must admit a few bites from greenie is a walk in the park compared what we can face her in the realm."  Said Yen

"Well at least I've had all my inoculations.  I do hope I don't get what my future shots protect me from."  Stated Emily

"You won't get any diseases not any that we know about anyway.  We've never seen the effect on an actual child.  Like we stated before, the green faerie goes into the human realm to bite and leave bruises on little children.  Hopefully she doesn't have any gingivitis.  We just have to watch the wounds AND prevent Emily from being bitten again." explains Yen

The beasties keep guard while the Tarafinas sew together elephant ear leaves for long sleeves.  After  they have finished fitting Emily with her new digs they continue on.

"It's not Gaultier but it'll do." says the ever fashionably Yen.

They make their way on the spongy path and than "Ouch! Not again."  Cries Emily as she swats her her in effort to punish the perpetrator. 

"Take that!  And that! And that!" squeals a tiny rackety voice.  "You don't belong here anyway.  You hideous ugly human child." Cries the green Faerie.  She also goes as far as to spit on Emily.  The green faerie continues to throw insults at the child and tells of how she will take her away from her parents.  Oh the bite marks she will all while smoking her narcotic leafy fern. 

All that were in the journey party stared at the disgruntled faerie and wondered why she had to be so mean.  Emily was a kind a beautiful child.  The conclusion was on everyone's mind and it made everyone sad really.  There are some in both the human realm and the fantasy realm that find it pleasurable to be mean, hurtful and hateful to others.  And all who thought of this conclusion knew that they must rise above by not acknowledging such powers. 

Emily remembers  on one of her more fussy nights her mother tried to comfort her.  Her mother had asked her, though she could not communicate back, what she was so angry about.  Her mother then whispered to her 'he who angers you conquers you.'  Emily thought of this wise whisper at this very moment as Greenie was spitting her inappropriate insults.  Emily began walking away but Greenie followed her to the point of flying near Mr. Oges.

Everyone was sick of hearing being mean and all started walking away with Emily.  Mr. Oges had had enough.  With one wap of his tale like Casey at the bat he whipped his tail up then down in a quick like second and smooshed the green faerie.  Mr. Oges detested violence but he was not going to sit back and have a meanie greenie insult the golden hearted princess Emily. 

After the tail went down there was a thud and quiet.  Finally quiet.  Not a crunching of the forest could be heard but after that silence came clapping and laughter.  Mr. Oges however was not laughing.  See his  tail now had green faerie guts all over it.  It was quite nasty.  He found a small pond and cleaned himself from the gooey gutty-wuts. 

While he went berserking like a proper retriever the Tarfinas medicated the bites Emily of which Emily had been afflicted.  Aloe Vera to be exact. The stuff works wonders and is obviously found in both realms.

The Tarafina's looted the green faeries house for food and other items of value.  The green faerie would no longer terrorize small children in the human realm.  Sometimes the end justifies the means.

The party continues on their way.  They discuss the weather.  Sadie comments that she likes the weather but prefers the cold weather.  It makes her more frisky.  Mr. Oges agree.  Emily loves it. She doesn't need a sweater and she likes that a lot.

They also talk about how the green faerie got to be so mean.  No one really knows.  She used to be very nice.  She used to be so pleasant.  She used to be one of us then one day she decided to cross into the human realm on her own.  After that she was never was the same.  She would sneak into the human realm every chance she got.  We rarely saw her.  Her days turned into nights.  She became nasty, mean and insulting to the point where a vote was taken and she was kicked out of the Tarafina village.

No one is exactly sure what happened the first time she went over.  Maybe a human child  hurt her or scared her.  She just really enjoy torturing and being mean to others.

"I'm starvin marvin'" said Emily.  "Can we stop and eat?" 

"I could use some rangs right about now too" Said Mr. Oges.

It was a late lunch.  It was still a ways till sundown.  They decided that when they sat down by the fire this evening that they would conceive a more in depth plan of how to get their humans back. 

The Tarafinas have spies.  They don't like being in the business of having spies but the corrupt General Scurio has prompted this. 


The party talks and nibbles and nibbles and talks. The sun is starting to grow weary and and give up for for the day. Everyone keeps an eye out for a good place to rest for the night. As the darkness grows so does the evident warmth of light that the night provides. There is an unusual light that is set against the darkening velvet backdrop. The members of the party are not sure if they want to proceed to find the source of the light. They are not prepared to take on anything unexpected. It is this moment they find themselves very vulnerable. They all agree that once first light comes they need to acquire some defense equipment and tactics. They hope they are not to late at the light ahead of them grows more apparent.

After walking aways and finding a good spot to rest for the night Yen and Benjamin volunteer to check out the source of the light. Sadie insists on going as well. The rest stay behind and get the fire going, prepare rangs and tend to Emily's needs. Near their campsite they could hear a flowing stream nearby. Everyone took turns quenching their thirst at this most convenient watering facility.

Sadie and the check-it-out crew make their way to the source of light. Sadie's blackest of blackest coat envelopes her perfectly in the darkness. She is stealth hunter with keen tracking abilities. As they approach the light source they find the light to be coming from a small cottage. The faeries automatically recognize the cottage from the local gossip at the local Pub, The Wing Hut. This had to be the cottage of the mystic oracle everyone talked so much about.

As they got closer to the cottage Sadie smelled something very familiar. It gave her a rush of adrenaline and a sense of caution. She couldn't place it but it reminded her of something all too familiar. The Yen and Benjamin peaked through the window of the cottage. They could see no one but they did see a very active fire and a sense of happening. They flew around to all of the windows to look inside. They flew to the last window and found themselves close to little faerie heart attacks as a hairy thing looked straight at them. They were taken aback and fled far into the comfort of pines. They eyes still remained on them as if this hairy creature could see them beyond any blanket of darkness. They could not quite make out what this creature was. They had never seen anything like this before. Then again they had never ventured out this far from their comfy mushroom homes either.

They made their way back to where Sadie was and told Sadie what had happened and what they had seen. They described the creature. It seemed like a squirrel but it was too big to be a squirrel. Sadie decided to check it out herself. With of of her stealth she did have a handicap that the faeries did not have. She was a quadruped and that gave her four times the chance to make a noise and blow the cover. She would take her chances anyway. She had to resolve this smell and the ambiguity of this creature.

She went slowly in efforts to reduce the crunching sound under her feet. Why did she feel that someone was watching. The familiar smell got stronger and was driving her crazy. She thought she heard something and stopped. All was quiet. Too quiet.

“I've been waiting for you.” a voice whispered out of the darkness

Sadie was brave but she also was capable of feeling deep emotion and the emotion that she felt was fear. Her heckles went up her white teeth glowed in blackest of black nights and she growled a low deep growl.

“OK. OK. OK” there's no need to get all upset and angry about it” said the voice

“Show yourself” Sadie yelled firmly

“On the condition that you don't eat me. But I already know what is going to happen. You see I am up in the tree.” cried the voice from up above.

Sadie could not quite make out the source of the voice up in the tree and amidst a black lake sky. I can't promise that” Yelled Sadie into the darkness.

“Okay. But we need to talk. We need to talk about how to get your humans back. How about those conditions?” asked the voice.

Sadie was stunned but wasn't fooled. She remembered the Yen saying that all of the realm knew about the journey. This was trickery. She wouldn't fall for it but what if this...this creature could help them. “How can I trust you.” asked Sadie

“I am going to go back into my homey little cottage. You bring the two faeries that traveled here with you and look through the window. Please be polite and don't attack me. I am not your enemy though I sense that you think I might be. If you choose to cooperate we can have tea and I can tell you what you need to know. Sound good.” asked the mysterious voice

“Yes. But be aware I will always be on guard.” warned Sadie

“As you should be” said the voice. And with that Sadie cautiously went back to Yen and Benjamin and explained what happened and what they will do. The two showed signs of shivering from fear but they agreed to go. As they approached the window they saw the back side of the furry thing that met them before. They've seen the face and now they were staring at the butt. The hairy butt backed up from the oven and was pulling something something out of the oven. The delicious smell seeped through the windows and into the nostrils of the adventures. Sadie was now aware of how hungry she was.

Benjamin, being the brave one now, had slipped away and knocked on the door. Yen and Sadie's heads turned and with a whispered yell cried “BENJAMIN!” The two looked back through the window and they could not see the furry thing in their sights. The door opened.

“Welcome Benjamin!”

Benjamin was stunned. How did this animal know it's name?

“You may know me from such gossip from your local pub. My name is marmotte”

At this point Benjamin didn't realize his jaw had dropped so low. How? How did she know his name? How did she know about the pub?

He is seduced by the smells coming from inside the cottage.  He hears Yen and Sadie yelling at a whisper telling him not to go in.  Yeah.  He's a little scared but he's also alotta hungry.  Sadie and Yen run after him and find themselves inside the warm and comfy cottage. It feels so right but still unsure. 

“I'm glad you could join me.  Like I stated before to Miss Sadie my name is Marmotte.  I'm also known as the Oracle.”

Sadie is face to face with the the smell that has been revving up her adrenaline.  Marmotte looked like a squirrel but not really.  Most importantly she SMELLED like a squirrel.  She wanted to lunge, grab and shake Marmotte but at that exact moment Marmotte said “I would rather have you eat the food I've prepared and not have you eat me.  What do you think, Sadie?”  Sadie was Shocked to say the least.  Was Marmotte reading her mind?

“Your humans are in Scurio's master tree.  They are safe but are  being used as bait to attract you, of course.  Your humans won't be harmed.  As your winged friends have told you Scurio is not want to hurt them.  He just wants two simple things.  To take over the human realm and you and Mr. Oges.”  Explains Marmott “I am not in agreement with Scurio.  I enjoy having the fantasy realm as a refuge.  I don't get over to the human realm very often as I don't like it much.  Humans are to greedy and too fast.  I am helping you because we cannot let the humans know that there is a fantasy realm.  If Scurio proceeds with his plans he will let the humans in.  Do you know what will happen to the fantasy realm if the humans get a hold of it?” She asks Sadie.

“The humans will desecrate, plow it down and turn it into commercial lots?”  said asks back

“Correct. And you bet your beastie life I'm not going to let that happen.  I love my little cottage and I am at peace in it.  I don't want a human to come in and ruin that for me.  By me helping you you get your humans back and you help me keep my cottage and keep the fantasy realm a fantasy.”  says Marmotte

Sadie feels better and her beastie gutty wut instincts say yes.  Marmotte can be trusted.  But there is still that something about her that he can't place. What is it?  Sadie decided to ask.

“Not to be rude but can you tell me why I feel the overwhelming need to eat you.  Beside the obvious fact that you are of edible size I sense that you are someone what familiar by smell. And what are you anyway?”

“Well since you are ignorant to my kind I will forgive such rudeness.  I am a marmot. Marmots are members of the genus Marmotta in the rodent family Sciuridae, or as you know them as squirrels.”

Sadie couldn't believe she was talking to a squirrel...marmot!  No wonder she wanted to eat Marmotte.  No wonder Marmotte smelled so familiar.  This would be a test for Sadie.  She now understood why Yen had told her that she must be considerate at all costs.  Sadie was being tested.  This also changed her mind about trusting Marmotte.  IF she was a member of the squirrel species how could Sadie trust her? Sadie also kept in mind that Marmotte wanted to live in peace away from the humans and didn't even to be involved but she had to be. Sadie put her mind to rest but she was still uneasy about trusting anything having to do with squirrels.

“Someone should go get the other members of the party.  You are all welcome to stay here.  I am dying to meet the child as I've never seen such a fleshy creature before.  We also need to discuss the details of how we are going to rescue your humans.” Marmotte Said.

Yen, Benjamin and Sadie went together to bring the party back to Marmott's cottage. It wasn't too far but they were all very tired after their first day. As they approached camp they could hear talking, laughing and the smell of fire.  Sadie could smell the rangs that was brought for her.  She was surprised that Mr. Oges hadn't snuck them and scarfed them down himself.  He'd do it with no shame.  Sadie loved Mr. Oges dearly but he didn't have the same sense of consideration that she did.  Not only was he a boy but he was a Golden Retriever.  Sadie also heard Emily's laughing and cooing and smiled to herself.

Emily, Mr. Oges and the other faeries greeting them with laughter and wonder. Some of the faeries had found some fermented roots and got a bit drunk and tipsy.  When they got to camp they explained what had happened and told everyone about Marmotte the marmot. Let's not forget she was an oracle too.  How odd the rest of the party thought.  Oracles were supposed to be owls and earthworms with spectacles but a rodent!  There was no such thing as a rodent Oracle. They would have to see it for themselves and they would. 

They all trekked their way through the forest. As stated before the forest floor was crunchy and full of pine cones and pine needles.  They finally arrived ant Marmotte's cottage and all could smell the scrumptious and tantalizing smells coming from the cottage. All were terribly excited.

Marmotte greeted them all and welcomed them.  She served them crumpets, tea and sweet meats if they so desired.  All of the party desired.  With the exception of Emily as she had no teeth.  She did gum the crumpets and meat though.  She was sure her pediatrician would not approve but then again her pediatrician was not here, was he?  Emily started to feel sad.  Marmotte sensed this.  “You have a sever case of marmot melancholy my child.”  she said.

“I miss my parents. I miss them horribly.  I miss my father's laugh and beard. I miss my mother's breast and soothing voice. I miss them so much.” Emily's eyes start to water. The room becomes silent.  The drunken faeries are also quiet out of respect.

“Now. Now child.  You will see them again. I can sense it.  I am sure that they want you to be strong and apply all that they have taught you so far even though you have only been alive for 4.5 months. We are here to help you on your quest.”  Marmotte waddles over to Emily and hugs her.  Marmotte's furry body tickles Emily and Emily begins to giggle.  The drunken faeries take that as a queue and start up again and the festive spirit is once again in the air.  Mr. Oges and Sadie go to Emily and Marmotte and embrace them.  Never before was there such an odd search party as this.
© Copyright 2007 dulcemea (dulcemea at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1344441-Thump-If-You-Believe