*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1345212-Letting-Go
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1345212
Its about a girl, sitting in a tree, who sees her life long love stting below her.
I saw him down there. Lying in the grass with his hands behind his head. My hand froze on the page. Suddenly I couldn’t feel the harsh bark against my bare calves anymore. My breath caught in my chest as I watched the summer breeze play with his soft brown hair. It took me a second to realize that he was asleep. How long was I up here? I asked myself while I untangled a bright green leaf from my ponytail. I was so engrossed with my book I couldn’t remember hearing him walk up.
                I wanted so badly to climb out of this tree and lay down next to him. I wanted to put my arms around him and tell him how I felt. How I’ve loved him since we were small children, playing hide-and-seek until the sky got dark. I used to slow down when he was “it” so that he could tag me. It was so exciting feeling his hand against my back, even if it was just for a second. It was worth the laughter and ridicule I would get from my brothers about being so slow.     
         I couldn’t take it anymore! I finally had to tell him how I felt. If I could only find the courage. I set my book down in the hole above my head and looked down at him. I watched as a little yellow dandelion tickled the tanned skin of his arm. I was ready. I slipped my foot down to the next branch, and just as I was about to let go I heard someone walk up. I froze in place.
Up walked a pretty brown haired girl with a blue backpack on her shoulder. She kneeled down next to him and kissed him on the cheek. He woke up and smiled at her.  I stopped breathing and a tear slipped down my nose. They stood up and I watched as they walked hand in hand down the field.  I sat in the tree and cried until the sun went down. Then I stood up and jumped into the soft grass. I landed next to the little dandelion. I reached down and picked the flower and put it behind my ear. Then I walked home alone.
© Copyright 2007 Sara D. (bookwo_rm23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1345212-Letting-Go