*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1345378-The-perfect-Sunday
by Anum
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #1345378
A funny story about a man and a dog.
The tiny alarm clock on the bedside table was showing time seven minutes past eight. Morning sunlight was creeping in through the big window, lightning the small bedroom. Waking up from a peaceful sleep, Jake opened his eyes and stretched his arms. It felt great. It was Sunday. Long awaited Sunday after a week of never-ending work and tiredness.

After getting up from his bed, Jake walked to the window, thinking about what he was going to do that day. Firstly, he was going to have a good breakfast, and then probably he will spend the day doing whatever he pleases. He might watch a horror or a comedy movie with a big bowl of popcorns or French fries. And if he will feel the day is good, he might go and have a look at the new mall opened at the end of the street. And for sure, he will catch a lot of sleep. No working, no bothering about anything.

Stretching his arms again, he looked out of the window at the old lady who lived in neighborhood trying to feed her cats, all five of whom were trying to get the food first. He wondered how her day would be like, trying to take care of five cats and two parrots. He was just glad he didn't have a pet. He was not too much fond of animals. Not that he was unkind to them, but he just didn't love them too much - not as much to keep them as pets and spend hours taking care of them. According to him, he had enough to do even without having to take a dog for walks or to clean cage of a parrot.

Jake took as much time in dressing up as he could, savoring the fact that it was Sunday. And when he made himself a breakfast of fried eggs, he hummed merrily. Just as he placed a plate of two fried eggs, a jug of fresh fruit juice, and bowl of milk and a tin of cereal on the table, the doorbell rang.

With a single glance at the delicious looking breakfast, he walked towards the front door, hoping whoever it was would hurry up. But as he opened the door, all his annoyance about being disturbed at breakfast time vanished. It was Jessica. Jessica was a new neighbor of Jake. Only a few days ago she has arrived in the area, and with her kind nature, innocent face and sweet smile she has won hearts of everyone in the neighborhood within no time. She was kind towards not only people living around her, but she has also got a great love for animals. She was very caring towards the stray cats and dogs, and she has got a big, fluffy white dog as a pet.

Every person in the area has grown fond of her. Jake himself had also told her countless times that if she ever needed anything, he would be very please to help.

"Hello Jake," Jessica said with her usual smile.

"Hello, Jessica," Jake replied, "So, what brings you here at this early morning?"

As she raised her eyebrows Jake understood that she must be among people for whom nearly nine o' clock was not 'early morning'. But before he could correct himself, she laughed and shook her head.

"Actually a cousin of mine has shifted to a new house," she told him, "And there is a lot of work to do there, so I thought I would just go and help her a bit. I was wondering, would you mind taking care of Hero for me?"

The fluffy white dog standing beside her gave a loud bark, answering Jake's question before he could ask it, and it did not improved his mood. Taking care of a dirty big dog was surely not his idea of an ideal Sunday. He must give an excuse. He tried to think if he had ever mention it to her that he was not very much fond of dogs. But what he remembered, and with a sinking heart, was him saying "I love dogs," when she has told him she has got a dog as a pet. At that time he has not thought she might be expecting him to take care of the dog for a day, but now he couldn't think of any excuse to tell her, without sounding rude or selfish.

"Er.. sure, why not?" he answered, the only option he had.

"Oh that's lovely," Jessica said cheerfully, lifting the dog in her arms and handing it to him, which he took from her arms rather reluctantly and attempted to smile.

"Hero is a very good pet. I hope he will not give you any trouble," she added, scratching the dog's ears, "I am sure you would be good friends." After saying goodbye, she walked away.

The moment she was out of view, the dog jumped out of Jake's arms with a loud bark. Jake did not make any attempt to stop him, and did not turn to look until he heard a loud crash. Rushing back to the kitchen, he saw something which did not cheer him up.

His freshly made fried eggs were now lying over the floor, no longer in a state to be eaten. To accompany the eggs, the fresh juice was spilled all over the floor, while its jug was now broken into pieces. The tin of cereal has rolled over and fallen down at the other side of the table. While the bowl of milk was being enjoyed by Hero.

"You were surely not that hungry!" Jake couldn't help but yell after seeing all his breakfast in this condition, "You couldn't have waited, could you?" But all the notice the dog gave to his yelling was a loud bark, and then he continued to drink the milk happily. Scowling hard, Jake started to clean up all the mess which might have been his breakfast.

By the time he had finished cleaning, Hero seemed to have had enough of milk. He bounced from the table right over Jake and started trying to lick his face, which was clearly his way to say thanks.

"Get away, get away from me!" Jake said angrily, trying to push away the dog without hurting him. The dog barked loudly and wagged his tail merrily.

"Go away, I have to take my breakfast!" he said to the dog. The dog jumped away inside the living room. Sadly thinking about the fried eggs, Jake took a piece of toast. But it was not quiet easy to eat peacefully while he could hear the dog barking continuously. And he has just finished the toast when he heard a sound of breaking china.

"What now?" he muttered as he hurried inside the living room. The dog was curled up over the sofa contentedly, drooling all over it, while the china vase which was usually placed on a small table beside the sofa, now lay over the carpet covered floor in pieces. Walking towards sofa he noticed the drooling all over it. "Now you are not going ruin my furniture!" he said frowning. Then, remembering the look on Jessica's face if she ever found out he has been angry with her dog, he said, trying to be as polite as he could, "Er.. Hero, lets go for a walk, ok?"

He couldn't believe it. He was taking a pet for a walk - something he has always hated. But he did not have much option. Remaining inside home was going to mean ruining more of his precious objects.

And so, they were off to walk on the street. The dog barked cheerfully at many of Jake's friends he met on the way, who were not very pleased and walked away after simple "Hello" and "Hi". When the dog barked fourth time at one of his really good friends, Jake lost patience. "You are not barking at anyone else, got it?" he said through gritted teeth. Walking a further away, Jake found himself face to face with another guy, named Bob. Bob and Jake were not very friendly, and Bob knew how much Jake disliked having pets.

"When did you get this dog, Jake?" he asked, not in surprised way, but sneering, "I thought you were afraid of dogs?"

Jake was very angry. He was not afraid of dogs, he just disliked them. He waited for the dog to bark at Bob and shut him up. But all the dog did was wag his tail happily. Smirking, Bob walked away. Jake glared at the dog again, "Why didn't you bark this time?" he asked, and then remembered himself telling the dog not to bark at anyone else. "I meant not barking at my friends," he said, once more through gritted teeth. The dog attempted to jump at him and lick his face again, which made him start walking quickly. "It would have been better if I had thought for some excuse," he muttered.

Two hours later when they returned to the house, Jake could only have described this walk in one word: Horrible. He has decided to have a look at the new mall, and it has been a mistake. Hero has gone only too excited by looking at the mall. He kept running here and there, and Jake has to run after him in order not to get him lost. And that was not the only thing. Once or twice, while he was looking at something interesting at display on a shop, Hero has tried to drag him away by sinking his teeth into socks, and Jake has ended up tripping down, once - in a very embarrassing moment - over trolley of an old man. He has made up for it by helping the old man to put all his possessions, which has scattered all over, back in the trolley. All in all, Jake was fuming with anger and was too much tired when he walked back inside the house, and immediately slumped over a sofa.

The dog, however, did not seem to be tired at all. He barked happily and jumped all around the house. Jake, however, did no attempt to go after him. He has started to feel sleepy. Next time, he would never tell a lie that he loves animals, he thought with closed eyes. And even if he did, then he will surely be ready to give polite excuses when it came to take care of one. And even if he will have to take care of a pet, he will make sure it will not be a dog -

bark! bark! bark!

"What now?" Jake asked, opening his eyes sleepily.

The dog was sitting on his hind legs in front of Jake, wagging his tail and tongue out, as if asking for something to eat. He remembered that there was a little milk in the house. He walked to the fridge and took out the milk bottle, poured the milk in the same bowl the dog has used before, and placed it beside the dog. Hero barked gratefully and attempted to lick his face again. Pushing him away, Jake once again slumped himself on the sofa. But he had barely closed his eyes for two minutes when -

bark!

"What?" Jake asked tiredly, opening his eyes to look at the dog once more. He noticed the bowl was already empty. Surely, the little milk wasn't enough and the dog was asking for more.

"Now what shall I give you?" he asked frowning, as he tried to think what else could he give to the dog, but he couldn't remember anything else.

"Alright, I will go and get something for you," he said, standing up wearily. "No!" he added as the dog also jumped up and made to follow him, "You are going to stay here. And no damage to any furniture, ok?"

He walked to the market, bought some dog food, and walked back home, hoping that the dog has not decided to jump over anywhere near any china or glass object. He found the dog curled over the same sofa over which he has tried to catch some sleep. Relieved, as it did not look like Hero has broken any more things, and annoyed, as Hero was lying peacefully over the same sofa on which he himself has not been able to sleep because of him, he walked over to the dog.

Hero, looking at him, again jumped at him and tried to lick his face.

"Stay away!" Jake said as he gave the food to the dog, who barked happily and started eating.

Tired, Jake once again walked back to the sofa, but this time he has just closed his eyes when the door bell rang. Jessica can't be home this soon, he thought. But he hoped she was, and also that she will take her Hero away too.

But he was disappointed to find Mr. and Mrs. Robbins there when he opened the door. Mr. Robbins was Jake's senior at his office.

"Hello, Jake, we were just passing by and thought we would pay you a visit," Mr. Robbins squeaked in his cheerful voice.

"Oh.. very nice to see you," Jake said, attempting to smile and standing aside to let Mr. and Mrs. Robbins walk inside the house.

"Oh what a cute dog," Mrs. Robbins said looking at the Hero. She attempted to scratch his ears. Hero, in his way to show pleasure, barked loudly. Mrs. Robbins stepped back, looking frightened. "Er.. Jake.. he doesn't bites, does he?" she asked.

"Sorry, I don't know, he's not mine.." Jake mumbled, but he was not sure whether the Robbins have listened to him or not; Hero has just started to bark loudly and has attempted to lick Mrs. Robbin's face.

Mrs. Robbins considered it as if the dog wanted to bite her. With a shriek, she stepped back even more.

"Er.. its ok," Jake said, embarrassed, "Er.. Hero, why don't you just play outside?" he said looking at the dog. But the dog was in full mood to play inside the house. He was now running after his own tail and barking happily. With an apologetic look at Mr and Mrs Robbins, he lifted the dog in his arms and walked outside. "Play here for a while, ok?" he asked the dog, leaving him in the front garden.

He could hear the loud barking every now and then, and he tried to pay attention to what the Robbins were speaking instead of the barking. After an hour, the Robbins finally decided to leave, and Jake sighed with relief as he bade them goodbye at the door. But as soon as the Robbins' car turned around the corner, Jake heard a loud, ear-splitting shriek, which made him jump. Turning around, he saw the old lady in the neighbor walking towards him, looking so angry as if she wanted to kill him.

"W.whats the matter, Mrs. White?" Jake said nervously.

"This dog!" Mrs. White yelled, pointing at Hero, who barked happily, "He scared my cats.. and they ran away.." She was so angry that Jake was amazed she could even speak, "And two of them are now missing!" she finished her sentence, glaring at Jake.

"Oh.. thats sad, really," Jake mumbled, not sure what else to say, but next second he found Mrs. White's thin fingers clutched around his throat.

"But.. its n.not m.my fault," Jake tried to speak, "The dog's not mine.. I was just taking care of it - "

"I DON'T care whoever is the owner!" Mrs. White shouted, "If you were taking care of it then its your fault! I want my cats back." She lift his throat with such a force that he nearly stumbled down.

"But.. w.what can I do?" Jake said.

"Thats not my problem," was the cold reply was Mrs. White, "I want my cats back and you are going to find them!"

At any other time, Jake would have refused by saying that he is not free enough to go looking for stupid cats and she must be happy to get rid of them, but Mrs. White looked as if she could murder him on the spot if he dared refuse.

"Oh.. alright, I will," he replied.

It took him two hours to find the cats, who turned out to be hiding behind a dustbin at the corner of the street. Tired and in an extremely bad mood, Jake returned to home, only to find that the Hero was still in the garden, playing. He was in so much bad mood that he did not even called him to come back in the home as he opened the front door, but had to look back when he heard a loud splash - Hero has just jumped into a puddle of mud in the garden, which has been there after the rain the previous night.

"Oh no!" Jake said, looking at the dog now covered in mud.

"Come back!" he yelled at the dog. Hero came back inside the house, covering the floor with the muddy prints of paws. He attempted to jump at Jake and lick his face, but Jake pushed him away.

Grabbing Hero not so politely, he walked out in the garden once more. He walked back inside home, and brought a tub and shampoo and water pipe outside to the front garden, where Hero was now lying on the grass.

"Get up!" he said harshly. Lifting the dog, he put him in the tub and washed him. The dog enjoyed bathing very much. It shook his head, showering Jake with water. 3

"Stay still!" Jake yelled. It was just getting more than enough. He couldn't control his anger any more. "You have been a trouble whole day! And now you are no more going to create any more trouble. After you are washed you will just sit silently in a corner and will go away when Jessica comes back and then I will make sure I never allow you anywhere near this house again!"

Hero barked no more. Neither did he shook his head. His tail drooped sadly and he whimpered slowly and sadly. Jake felt his heart melting. He shouldn't have yelled at him. As soon as he finished drying him, Hero walked away in the corner of the house, silently. Jake did not know how, but he knew that Hero was sad. And he felt guilty. He walked towards him.

"Ok, I am sorry," Jake said, "I shouldn't have yelled at you. I just.. well, I sort of lost control. Sorry." He held out his hand towards him.

Hero looked up, and then with a little whimper, raised his paw into Jake's hand. Jake smiled. He walked up and got some more dog biscuits for Hero, and to his own surprise, found himself smiling as Hero, once more, barked happily and gratefully. He hesitated slightly, then scratched his ears.

As he watched the dog eat biscuits, he thought that at least next Sunday will be a better one, without any trouble.

Once again, the door bell rang. He stood up and opened the door. It was Jessica. She looked tired with the day's work but happy.

"Hello," she said with her usual sweet smile.

"Oh hello," Jake said, just as Hero came there too, barking happily at the sight of Jessica.

"Hello Hero," Jessica said, smiling and lifting the dog in her arms before looking back at Jake. "How was the day? Hope Hero didn't give you much trouble."

"Oh not at all," Jake said cheerfully, "We had a great fun together, didn't we, Hero?"

Hero barked happily in reply and attempted to jump at him and lick his face again, and Jake was too glad Jessica was holding him back.

"Oh thats really nice," Jessica said cheerfully.

"Yeah, really," Jake said, "Me and Hero became friends just in a little time."

Once more the dog barked happily, and Jessica smiled. "Oh, so does that mean I can ask you another favor?" she asked.

"Yeah, sure," Jake said.

"Actually, my Aunt is not well, and I have got to go and see her next Sunday," she said, "And she is not much fond of dogs. So, will you please take care of Hero for me again?"

"Yeah sure," Jake found himself replying, "After all, I love dogs!"

And Hero barked happily once more.





© Copyright 2007 Anum (storywriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1345378-The-perfect-Sunday