*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1346006-Twilight-Blood-Lust
Rated: 13+ · Monologue · Horror/Scary · #1346006
The speaker's home town has been held by human and vampires for many years.
Twilight, the time where light and dark co-exist for a moment before either of the two triumphs, usually it is the latter. The latter is what we fear as the moment of twilight only remains a safe time before fleeting... leaving us to their mercy.

Mercy isn’t a correct term of the word. As they are blood thirsty, savage creatures, picking off the weak with their nocturnal abilities one of the many things they hold over us.

Twilight, allows us to count that every one is at home, and to mourn in advance the sure lost of those who hadn’t made their way home in time.

It was only in our homes that they could not attack. After a treaty was made between our leaders it was agreed that we could not break into each other’s homes, but it did not mean they wouldn’t try and force us out.

I know this, as my mother was one of those forced out of our house.

_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_


My eldest brother gathered us all in the city. We were misfits one of the only children who hated staying at home where we were ensured safety. Ryan plucked us all by our wrists dragging us home, but it had been too late.

The
twilight was taking place and when the final glow of crimson had left the horizon they would burst out attacking. As we children shuffled into our small one-room apartment, Ryan remained outside trying to help Ricky get his bicycle inside the small door way. Paleness rushed over Ryan’s face the moment the alarm throughout the city signaling the night had risen, and it wasn’t too short a time had one of them stolen Ryan off of his feet and a sharp scream reverberated amongst us children.

He held Ricky inches away from the doorway on the street. He taunted my mother by running his nails off of Ryan’s chest causing blood to spurt out of the thick incisions left.

“I wonder what horror it is to see one’s son killed before their eyes.” The vampire smirked curiously. His sharp nails now ran over Ryan’s chest up to his jugular. Using only his thumb he forcefully began to insert his nail into the pulsing vein.

We all watched as Ryan’s scream jolted our mother out with a futile attempt to help her son. That foolish woman was snatched right up by another one and my mother’s and brother’s screams rang out in horrifying unison. As always it was about Ryan, in a matter of moments we were orphans because of her. The remaining 5 of us took the images into our heads and buried them deep inside our brains. We didn’t realize when morning came but once it did neighbors visited our house giving us their condolences.

I knew what they really thought. Better them than me.


_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_


I am no better than my neighbors. I realized that years later when I didn’t lift a finger to help my own friend.

It was survival of the fittest now as most of the houses around here were old and collapsing. The extreme heat as well our dry air became deleterious to these houses. Everything seemed as if they were burning.

I watched as my own house deteriorated before my eyes. My safe haven was gone and tonight I accepted my fate.

I had no friends to stay with, all of them had either moved from this clustered area of vampires or… died. My brothers and sisters had been plucked of their lives as well leaving me the soul survivor from our family.

Karma was a bitch. Of all the houses mine was best constructed but I couldn’t complain now as twilight had commenced.

The blazing crimson of the fire seemed to match that of the flickers of the light dying beyond the horizon. I lay on the ground before my house it was my time to go and I accepted it. Once the dark flooded my eyes I closed them and then felt my body being lifted as if floating like an angel and then something ripped through my shoulder blade as if plucking them out, taking my wings. Another hand ripped through my jugular as my throat convulsed filling my mouth with my own blood.

Vampires; they yearned for even the most submitted blood.

In my world, humans had ruled by day.

Vampires ruled by night after the passing of twilight.
© Copyright 2007 Veritas (leira519 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1346006-Twilight-Blood-Lust