*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1347099-The-Best-Years-of-our-Lives
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Romance/Love · #1347099
This story is of two teenagers meeting in high school and their relationship Chapter 5 up!
Before I begin, let me clear some things up. This story starts in a Military School, with rankings, etc. The school is also a high school with normal classes, like math, english, etc. The students don't live at the school, they go home everyday. This is fiction, except for a few minor things.

=========================================================

Chapter 1: Our First Date

It was junior year in high school at the Wilmington Military Academy. On a Wednesday morning I sat in math class, staring at the clock intently, just watching every second go by, since I had lunch after this. I missed breakfast this morning and nearly the bus, so I was very hungry. All of a sudden, I was snapped out of my trance by someone knocking at the door. The math teacher, Mr. Tomp, answered it, and at the door was the one and only Lauren McCane. She was the Battalion Training Officer, in charge of which student gets promoted, so I assumed she was asking him about a student. I couldn't help but stare at the Irish beauty at the door. How her brown hair had that slight tinge of blond. How easy it was to get lost in those beautiful brown eyes. She was my platoon leader freshman year, and had an aura of leadership, as if anybody she walked by would instantly snap to attention.

When she left, her image remained in my head for another 10 minutes, and by then, the bell had rung and I was on my way to lunch. I passed my friend Rick in the hall, and we started talking. "Hey Matt" he said to me. "Oh, hey Rick. What's up?" "Oh nothing, except I think I know something you don't want me to know." "And what would that be?" "Well, you appear to have a crush on Ensign Lauren McCane." I then got extremely nervous, wondering how he could have figured it out. "How did you find out?!" "Well, I noticed that you get really nervous around her, and you always seem to be trying to look at her, so I put 1 and 1 together and got this." "Ok, Rick, but please don't tell anyone." "Ok, I'll see you in Naval Science, Matt." "Alright see ya then."

'Ah, finally lunch' I thought as I sat down next to Billy, who was "motivating" Josh and Mark. His idea of motivating is giving a charlie horse at full power. I got up and went to get a Yoo-Hoo at the vending machine, and when I turned around, standing in line behind me was Lauren. I didn't even hear her come up. "Hey Lauren. What's up?" I said trying to be as cool as possible, which is MUCH easier said than done. "Hey Matt. Nothing much, just getting me some Yoo-Hoo. It's just so addicting." "I know what you mean, my day isn't complete without a Yoo-Hoo." "Yeah. So, how did you do on that Chemistry test?" "I got a B!! My mom said if I got that, she would let me go to the Phillies game with someone on Friday" "Cool, well then, see you in Spanish." "Alright see you."

After that, lunch was pretty uneventful, save for a couple people being yelled at for throwing a ball back and forth. After lunch, Naval Science with Rick, Dan, and Jamie. We learned about some boring crap about navigating, then it's the last period of the day, Spanish. "Hola, estudiantes." Ms. Lopez said as she entered. "Hola, Senora Lopez." "Today, class, we will be working on invitations to a birthday party. The invitation will be in complete Spanish. Absolutely no English. You will also be working with partners, which I have already picked."

I was paired up with, guess who, Lauren McCane. "Well well well, hello there brown eyed girl." "Ha ha, hey Matt." "So we better get started on this invitation." "Yeah" We didn't really talk much, until we turned in our invitation. After we turned ours in, we started talking, until I asked the fateful question "What are you doing Friday night?" "Nothing really, why?" "Well, I just so happen to have a spare Phillies ticket and nobody wants it, how about you?" "Hmmm...Alright, I'll go with you." "Ok, I'll pick you up at 6, so we can get there early and avoid traffic." "Ok great, I can't wait."

=========================================================

Chapter 2: The Talk

That night, after somehow finishing the piles of homework that was due the next day, I was online talking to Rick.

The_Big_R: Hey Matt, what's going on?

Born2Row: Hey Rick. You'll never guess what happened today during Spanish.

The_Big_R: ¿Qué?

Born2Row: I asked out the Battalion Training Officer!!!

The_Big_R: Cool...

Born2Row: ...That's Lauren McCane!!!!!!!!

The_Big_R: I knew that! I was just seeing if you knew!!!

Born2Row: Suuuuuuuuuuuuure.

The_Big_R: So, how did it go?

Born2Row: Great! We're going to the Phillies game next Friday.

The_Big_R: OH EM GEE!!!!!!! I'm going too with Amanda!!!!!

Born2Row: Wow...Never again... Anyway, where you gonna be sitting?

The_Big_R: Hold on, I gotta get the tickets.

The_Big_R: Section 144, Row 6, Seats 4 and 5

Born2Row: WOAH!!!!!!!!! You won't believe this, but ours are Section 144, Row 6, Seats 6 and 7!!!!!!!!!

The_Big_R: Now I'm scared... Anyway, so you and Lauren, eh?

Born2Row: Yeah, I never thought I would be this lucky. I really like her, and I hope nothing bad happens.

The_Big_R: Awww....That's cute.

Born2Row: Shut it!

All of a sudden, out of nowhere, I get a private message from someone.

Love_to_Laugh: Hey Matt!

Born2Row: Who is this?

Love_to_Laugh: It's Lauren, how's it going?

Born2Row: Oh hey! Pretty good, but how did you get my name?

Love_to_Laugh: From Rick. He's like your best friend, so I thought "He should know it."

Born2Row: I see. Well guess what, when we go to the Phillies, we're sitting right next to Rick and Amanda!!!!

Love_to_Laugh: Awesome!!!!!! Oh, and before I forget, do you really love rowing?

Born2Row: Duh, I am on the crew team at school. You didn't know that?

Love_to_Laugh: No.

Born2Row: HOW DID YOU NOT KNOW THAT?!?! You're the freaking captain!!!!

Love_to_Laugh: Haha, I don't know, I guess I just never saw you there.

Born2Row: Riiiight....

Love_to_Laugh: Haha, anyway, guess what you'll be doing this Thursday.

Born2Row: Standing at inspection for an hour just for someone to take 5 minutes to tell me I can't dress myself.

Love_to_Laugh: No, well yeah, but no. You're gonna get promoted to CHIEF!!!!!!

Born2Row: OMG!!!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?! FOR WHAT!?!?!?!

Love_to_Laugh: The Naval Science Instructor's saw that you were doing such an awesome job, and asked me to ask the teachers if they think you're responsible enough for Chief. Mr. Tomp was the last one to ask, and I knew you were in there, so I tried to say it in a way you would hear.

Born2Row: Well, I didn't really pay attention to what you were saying, I got distracted by someone...

Love_to_Laugh: Oh really? Who?

Born2Row: Well...You.

Love_to_Laugh: Oh! Well, thanks! That's really sweet of you.

Born2Row: Yeah...So, me, a Chief... It seems just yesterday, me and you and our entire grade were just little ol' Seaman Apprentices.

Love_to_Laugh: Well I never was, I got promoted to Petty Officer Third Class, remember?

Born2Row: Oh yeah. I was soooo jealous of all the platoon leaders.

Born2Row: Wait, tomorrow's Thursday, I get promoted tomorrow!!!!!!!

Love_to_Laugh: Yeah! So congratulations!!

Born2Row: Thanks Brown eyed girl

Love_to_Laugh: ha ha ha

We talked for hours it seemed, then it was time to hit the hay.

Love_to_Laugh: Well, it's been fun, I'll see you tomorrow Matt.

Born2Row: Alright, see you Lauren.

=========================================================

Chapter 3: The Promotion

The next day, I'm in History class, sitting next to Alvin. Mr. Borough, the History teacher, wanted us to write a letter describing our difficulties after traveling the Oregon Trail. "Who the hell should I write to?" I quickly replied "Write to God, but spell it G-A-W-D." "'Dear Gawd' Ha ha ha, that's so freaking hilarious." Next, Science with Rick, Will, and Lauren!!!

When I got to Science, I noticed Dan wasn't sitting next to Lauren like usual. "Hey Matt! Come sit here, I saved a seat for you!" "Thanks." I went over and was about to sit down, when Lauren jumped up and hugged me. I was a bit shocked, but I just hugged back. "So what's up, Matt?" "Oh nothing. Just had History with Alvin, and you know how he gets." "Oh yeah...So you excited for your promotion?" "You know it! I can't believe I'm gonna get Chief!" Rick then came in following Will, who had a Rubik's cube in his hand trying to solve it. "This is so hard! Matt, how the hell do you solve this?" "It's easy, Will, I'll show you." Within two minutes, everybody in the room was surrounding me, watching me solve the cube. Within another minute, I was standing there with a solved Rubik's Cube in my hand. "How do you do that Matt?" Lauren asked. "It's easy, it's just remembering what pattern to use when."

Lunch is next, and as soon as I sat down next to Billy, Mark, and Josh, Lauren sat down right next to me. This time, I hugged her first, then we started talking about miscellaneous stuff, such as TV shows, music, and other things. She was then paged to the office, so she had to leave for a minute. "Matt, you dog" Billy told me. "How did you manage to land her, man?" both Mark and Josh asked. "I just asked her to the Phillies' game next week and she said ok." When she came back, she said "I have some stuff to take care of. I'll talk to you later" and gave me a quick peck on the cheek. As soon as she left, Billy, Mark, and Josh all ran over to me and started cheering for me and patting me on the back.

'Inspection time in Naval Science, oh boy!' I thought sarcastically to myself. When our class fell in, the inspection began. After inspection, it was finally time for the awards and promotions. I got more and more excited as they came closer to my name, then I heard "Cadet Petty Officer First Class Fross." I then went up and they started announcing the awards. When they got to my name, I heard the Senior Naval Science Instructor say "Cadet Fross, for showing outstanding achievement in military aptitude, as well as in your studies, you are hereby promoted to the rank of Chief Petty Officer." I felt like nothing could go wrong, and as soon as that was done, the day flew by, and before I knew it, it was time to go to bed.

=========================================================

Chapter 4: The Game

Friday night, I drove to Lauren's house to pick her up for the game. 'Finally,' I thought 'I'm actually going out with Lauren!' I arrived there and went to knock on the door. Lauren's brother, Chris, answered the door "Hey Chris. I'm here to pick up Lauren." "Hey Matt, she's still getting ready so come on in." As I entered he pointed to my 1980's style Phillies shirt, and added "Nice shirt, by the way."

“So how’s it going, Chris?” “Pretty good. I got my 16th birthday coming up, you know what that means.” “Oh great, as if there weren’t enough bad drivers on the road.” “Ha, shut it!” Just then Lauren came downstairs wearing a newer Phillies shirt. “Hey Matt!” she said right before hugging me. “Hey Lauren, you’re looking good.” “Thanks, well we better get going.” We said our goodbyes to Chris and left.

When we got in the car, I suggested “How about some music?” “Sure.” I turned on the stereo and Pink Floyd’s album “Dark Side of the Moon” blasted out. “Sorry! I didn’t know that was in there and was so loud.” I said as I fumbled to get the CD out. “It’s okay, Pink Floyd is actually my favorite band. And besides, the only acceptable volume for them is high, otherwise you may as well just not listen to them.” I stared at her for a moment, then said “Whoa, you are like the perfect girl for me.” She laughed, and we were on our way to Philadelphia.

The album was over by the time we got to the field, and we were still singing. I showed her the way to our seats, bringing two baseball gloves for the both of us. Rick and Amanda were already there. “Hey guys!” I shouted “Hey! What took you guys so long?” Amanda asked. “We were listening to Pink Floyd, and I guess we may have gotten carried away” I answered.

At the end of the second inning, the Kiss Cam came on, showing various couples. The camera then pointed to all four of us, and we each kissed our respected dates. Strangely, they started playing “Brown Eyed Girl” as soon as the came to us. I was in heaven for those few seconds, kissing the girl of my dreams, then when we were done Lauren and I both laughed at the fact the song came on.

Then, it was the bottom of the ninth inning, the Braves were up 3-2, and the Phillies had 2 outs. The batter tears into the ball, and sends it straight towards Lauren’s glove. She couldn’t believe it, her favorite team won AND she caught the ball that won. She was so excited she kissed me right on the lips. We held hands the whole way out, and said good night to Rick and Amanda as we split up.

The drive back was almost as fun as the way up. I put in a custom-made Pink Floyd CD, and we sang all those songs too. However, little did she realize I had a surprise in store for her. When we parked at her house, I left the music playing, turned up the volume, and walked her to the door. When we got there, I had “Brown Eyed Girl” the last song on the CD, playing. She looked at me, and I looked back. We then eased our way into our first romantic kiss with each other. “From now on, this is our song” she said. “Yeah, I’ll call you tomorrow. Good night” “Good night, Matt.”
=========================================================

Chapter 5: Prom

Lauren and I have been going out for a few months. Right now we're talking online.

Born2Row: Hey Lauren, whats up?

Love_to_Laugh: Hey Matt, I kinda want to talk to you about our relationship

Born2Row: What's wrong?

Love_to_Laugh: Matt, don't get me wrong, I love you, but I think we should break up.

Born2Row: WHAT?!?! WHY?!?!

Love_to_Laugh: You just seem to be getting too close, and I need space.

Born2Row: But...I love you....please don't do this to me!!!!

Love_to_Laugh: I'm sorry. Goodbye Matt.

Born2Row: NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'How could she do this to me?' I thought to myself. I remembered all of the good times we had. I just couldn't believe that it was all over.

One Month Later:

It's the night of prom, and I didn't want to be the loser who stayed home, so I just decided to go on my own. The night was long, and when I got there, I decided to just talk to Rick and Amanda. "Hey guys!" I shouted to them over the rap music. "Hey! Where's you're date?" Amanda asked. "I don't have one, but I don't mind really." "Oh." A few hours later, I was talking to Dan, who was in charge of the votes for prom king and queen, and who was also Lauren's best friend. "So Dan, wanna let me know who won?" "Well Matt, I really shouldn't, but I don't think you should learn this on you're own. Lauren is queen, and, well, you're king." "Woah!" All of a sudden, I was sad that I didn't go with anybody, and I couldn't stop thinking about Lauren. I then went up to the DJ, and requested Brown Eyed Girl for the king and queen's dance.

About a half hour later, they were announcing who won, and the nominees were up on stage. Dan was announcing "This year's Prom Queen is.....Lauren McCane!!!" I got more and more nervous as he started to announce me. "This year's Prom King is....Matt Fross!!!!!!" Lauren then looked at me shocked, and I looked back with equal surprise. Before we danced, we just made some small talk. "So, Lauren, who are you here with?" "Oh, nobody, I didn't want to be the loser who stayed home, so I just decided to go on my own. What about you?" "I'm...kinda...the same, heh." Finally they said it was time for us to dance.

Brown Eyed Girl started playing, and Lauren looked at me, and I looked back. I could see the love in her face. "I miss you Matt, I can't stop thinking about that time on my front porch" "I miss you too, and to quote our song, it's so hard to find my way, now that I'm all on my own. I love you Lauren." "I love you too Matt." We then danced through the whole song, and a slow song came on. When we were done dancing to it, Lauren asked "Can we just hold each other forever?" "Sure, even longer than that" After a month of loneliness, we were back together.

END OF CHAPTER 5! CHAPTER 6 COMING SOON!
© Copyright 2007 Jack Irishman (true_irishman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1347099-The-Best-Years-of-our-Lives