*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1347563-The-Man-on-the-Roof
by T-man
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #1347563
Young Tyler is kidnapped by a mad teacher. What will he do? Escape or be killed?
The loud bell rang and my classmates ran for the door. I finished packing my backpack, and walked out the door and outside. The way I got to my bus was if I went back through the school or if I went around the back. I decided it would be quicker if I went around back.
At the time I was thinking about how bad my grades were. I had three D's and four C's on my report card. In the last class I was in, math, I had gotten a C on a chapter test. I hoped that would help my grade a little bit.
I walked besides the tech building. Watching my step for big rocks. I stepped up onto the sidewalk and continued around the corner.
"Hey kid," whispered a voice from somewhere. "Look up."
"Who's there," I said a little nervous to reply.
"I am your math teacher," he explained.
"Why are you on the roof," I pondered him.
"Come here!"
A hand grabbed me from behind and yanked me to the ground. I rolled over once and flailed my legs at him to give me time to run away. He shoved his foot into my stomach and grabbed both of my hands. He began to drag me across the sidewalk. He took me into the parking lot, my back scraping along the jagged asphalt leaving me with deep scrapes. My backpack was pulled off during the dragging. He brought me up to a car and tied my hands together. He knew I was too sore to move so he let go of my hands and opened a small blue cars trunk. He lifted me up quickly and dropped me into the trunk. He slammed the door shut, leaving no light left in the trunk.
I was in the stuffy trunk for about four hours. My legs were curled up and my whole body was in severe pain. My right arm was twisted under me and my foot was numb.
The trunk was opened again but it was dark outside so I couldn't make out a figure. Two clammy hands grabbed my legs and my neck and pulled me out of the car and onto matted down grass. The hands pulled me down a hill not saying a word and put me into a wooden boat. The boat was then pushed about five feet until it was in water. I began to panic even more than before. I felt myself float slowly out into this water with no help and no one in the boat with me.
I found myself dosing off to sleep in this boat. I couldn't resist closing my eyes for a minute.
The next morning I woke up startled by something cold on my leg. It was a fish that had jumped out of the water, into the small boat, and had landed on my leg. It was flopping on the deck of the boat. It made a final leap and got out of the boat and into the water.
The boat was drifting in this... lake it seemed for about an hour. I looked ashore and saw nothing but trees and a large house. I looked around inside the boat, maybe a paddle or a stick but I found nothing. I then saw a thick string in the water. I tried to find where it connected to. It was attached to the bottom of my boat, as to keep me restrained. I grabbed it quickly because I thought it might float away. I pulled on it and found that it lead to the shore where the big house on land was. I reeled in until I was on shore. I painfully stood up, walked out of the boat and walked to the house.
I knocked on the door to the house hoping it was a nice old lady with cookies and lemonade. The door opened quickly. I took one good look at the face of this man. I turned around and sprinted as hard as I could. I ran down his driveway and onto the street. I glanced back at the house. The door was open with no one in the frame, and then my heart dropped. He came back to the door with a pistol and my math teacher. I ran to the nearest tree and dove behind it. As I dove the trees bark exploded into a thousand pieces. I rolled over on my back and got behind a bigger tree looking at the hole in the thin one.
The neighboring house's door swung open. A round lady wearing a robe came out, ran back in and was posted at the window with a phone. I slowly stood up without a sound. I waited for the men to run at me. They didn't. They stood there with the gun pointed at me. In about five minutes of staring I heard sirens. Three police cars came barreling down the street. The two men ran inside the house and in a moments notice were looking out the window.
The police yelled for me to get down. I fell right away gratefully, when I hit the ground I heard a bullet wiz by me. Four police stormed into the house their guns at ready. In a matter of minutes two second story windows shattered. One of the two men had jumped out the window to try and escape. Two policemen ran over to him and cuffed him. As he was pulled up my math teacher walked out of the house in handcuffs. The two were put into a police car and driven away.
"Young man, come over here," said one of the police men. "You are a very lucky kid, that math teacher of yours had eight automatics under his bed. It could have turned out much worse for you."
"Sir........ I....... thank you so much," I said in tears. I ran over to the police and hugged him. As I hugged him an ambulance arrived. The police escorted me into the ambulance and wished me luck.
When I got to the hospital my family was waiting for me. As my mom saw me, she broke into sobs. I hugged my family as best as I had ever hugged them. Especially my mom.
I had no real injuries to me except a broken ankle and many scratches. Once I had fully recovered and was let out of the hospital. My family and I returned home. I began to return to a normal life. Although it would never be normal again. Thanks to the man on the roof.
© Copyright 2007 T-man (hokeeekrazy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1347563-The-Man-on-the-Roof