*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1347860-Why-am-I-Here
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1347860
Children's story I am writing for my daughter for Christmas.
Annie was a sweet girl who loved to run and play.  She also loved to ask questions, but she did not always understand the answers.  One day, Annie and her Daddy went to the park.

Daddy sat on the bench, but Annie wanted to run and play and ask questions.

While Annie was playing she saw a big, furry, red dog.  Annie was very curious, so she skipped over to talk to the dog.

Annie asked the dog, "Why are you here"?  The dog looked puzzled.  "I am here to run.  I am here to bark.  I am here to play." 

Annie did not understand.

"Why don't you meow like a cat?  Why don't you fly like a bird?” asked Annie.

"Because that's not why I'm here", said the dog, and he ran and he barked and he played.

Annie ran to the playground to play on the slide.  When she slid down to the ground she saw a pretty pink flower.

Annie asked the flower, "Why are you here"?  The flower sighed.  "I am here to grow.  I am here to smell sweet.  I am here to reach for the sun."

Annie did not understand.

"Why don't you hop like a bunny?  Why don't you climb like a monkey?” asked Annie.

"Because that's not why I'm here", said the flower, and it smiled in the sunshine and it did smell sweet.

Annie hopped to her feet and ran off to climb on the jungle bars.  As she was climbing a little blue bird landed on the bar.

Annie asked the bird, "Why are you here"?  The bird laughed.  "I am here to sing.  I am here to fly.  I am here to build a nest for my eggs."

Annie did not understand.

"Why don't you bark like a dog?  Why don't you smell sweet like a flower?” asked Annie.

"Because that's not why I'm here", said the bird, and she flew to her nest to sing a sweet song."

Annie jumped to the ground and saw her Daddy.  He was not sitting on the bench.  It was time to go home.

Annie asked her Daddy, "Why am I here"?  Daddy smiled.  "You are here to live, and to love, and to ask questions."

Annie did not understand.

"If I am here to ask questions, why don't I understand?” asked Annie.

"Because that's not why you're here", said Daddy, and the dog barked, and the flower grew, and the bird sang, and Daddy held Annie's hand as they walked home together.
© Copyright 2007 gamecockadam (gamecockadam at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1347860-Why-am-I-Here