*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1348295-The-Journey-Into-Manhood
Rated: 13+ · Other · Other · #1348295
For Short Shots contest
In attempting to establish a time period for this picture I am judging from his clothing, the fence posts, type of suitcase, road condition, and the general shape of blurred possible buildings in background.  Therefore I am guessing 1950's and for this piece of writing I will go with early 1950's, Korean War era.  (Yeah, I'm that old.)

I also judge he is going instead of coming.  Possibly angry due to left hand closed into fist and brisk walk.



The
Journey
Into
Manhood
                                                                                         


I'll show her.

Just wait 'till she finds out. Uncle Sam believes I'm a man, even if she don't.

I'll show her.

Maybe I'll go to Korea and kill two or three of them little slant-eyed guys. Hell, maybe I'll even come back a hero with so many damn medals they won't all fit on my shirt.     

Yeah, I'll show her.

She'll be sorry when she finds out I'm gone.
Damn that Bobby Blake. He already has everything else.  He's a star football quarterback, got himself a new convertible, lives in a big fancy house, and has the pick of any girl in school. Why does he want my girl?
Hell, it don't much matter. Maybe I won't come back. Maybe I'll get killed over there and come back in a box. Yeah, she'd be sorry then. I'd be dead, and it would be all her fault.

Yeah, I'll show her.

All I got to do is thumb the next ride into town and sign on the dotted line. I know Uncle Sam wants me.

I'll show her.



Word count
187


John Braswell2007
© Copyright 2007 kawheeta (kawheeta at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1348295-The-Journey-Into-Manhood