*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1349257-Sci-Fi-and-Fantasy-Serial-Fiction
Rated: 18+ · Other · Sci-fi · #1349257
Original Sci-Fi/Fantasy Serial Fiction. Light GBLT content. Weekly updates.
The following is a sample posting from my sci-fi and fantasy serial website. You can find more recent work at http://phantdreams.blogspot.com/

"Thief! Aaron, bring a torch! Check the roofs!"

The cry rose behind Elise as she scrambled through the bracken at the forest's edge. She continued to run, heedless of the ruin to her clothing. It was several years out of high fashion, anyway.

Unable to see well in the gathering gloom, she skidded to a halt at the edge of a riverbank, windmilling her arms to keep from falling in. The small strongbox that she had been clutching under one arm fell to the ground with a heavy clinking sound. She exhaled slowly after regaining her balance.

She knelt, and after a few blows from a stone, the box's lock snapped. She emptied it onto the ground, silver and gold coins slithering under the moonlight. But she was heedless of the treasures. From the pile, she drew a furled scroll. As she thrust it into a pouch at her waist, the words 'Agreement of Dowry' could be seen briefly.

Digging beneath the brush at the edge of the river, she retrieved a bundle. Her precious flute, her brother's rapier, her poor departed mother's armor and sword.

And a change of clothes. Traveler's clothes. Commoner's clothes.

It was all where he had promised it would be. She would miss him, her brother.

She uncovered the bracken-shielded rowboat at the river's edge and climbed in. The oars were muffled with cloth, and made little sound in the night. She slipped away into the darkness.
© Copyright 2007 Phantasmagoric Dreams (pdreams at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1349257-Sci-Fi-and-Fantasy-Serial-Fiction