*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1350153-Gaia-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Froggy
Rated: 13+ · Other · Other · #1350153
The first of a series of short stories about the spirit of Nature.
When i wrote this story, Gaia's speach was multicoloured and in italic/boldtec. randomly, and Death's was in bold, but i don't know how to do that here...

Candles burnt in the darkness, sending the shadows of the robed figures dancing on the dark stone walls. The men and women had inscribed a large circle on the floor, white chalk against the black stone. Runic characters decorated it, seeming to glow in the dark of the cellar.
“It is time.” said one of the men. He was taller than most of the assembled figures, and his black robes were more finely decorated than the others. He held a large, leather-bound book in his hands.
The acolytes stood around the circle. On one side a makeshift alter had been made out of broken furniture. Items were reverently placed on her back; a chipped wine glass, a twisted knife, a feather, coins, the Grimoire.
“Tonight, my friends, we will enter a new age. After years of searching, the Rhea Grimoire is within our position. With it, we will summon and imprison Death.” The man spoke with all the passion of a great spiritual leader. A ripple of excitement went through the group. “And I will command who shall live ... and who shall die.”
The Priest opened the book, and raised the knife above his head, chanting in a strange language. The candles flickered in a breeze that stirred through the dank room.
He was speaking faster now, and in English. The air in the center of the circle began to shimmer.
“From the dark we call you ... into the light we call you. Knife and Chalice, Feather and Coin.”
The outline of figure could be seen in the center of the circle, and the broken glass of the windows reflected strange images into the room. The room had begun to fill with a strange smell; freshly-cut grass, ploughed earth and old leather.
“Here in the darkness, we summon you together. COME!”
There was a flash of light, and a small figure stood in the circle. She appeared to be a young girl, no more than thirteen years old, and wore a flowing green dress. She had blond hair, decorated with flowers, and bright green eyes. She held a large cornucopia in her hands.
“Oh, uMM, HelLo” she said, her voice echoing oddly in the old room. There was a fluttering of wings, and several pigeons appeared at the windowsill. Silence filled the room, the assembled men and women did not know who this was, but she most definitely was not Death.
“Who-who are you?” the head priest asked. The young girl turned and smiled at him. He took a step back.
“Me? I’M, uM, you kNoW, Gaia.” She muttered. Her eyes never actually focused on anything but were continually blurred. She sat down abruptly, drawing patterns in the dust on the floor.
The acolytes exchanged glances. None of them were quite sure what they should do now. It was the leader who took charge.
“Now listen to me, creature.” He lifted the knife in his right hand and pointed it at Gaia. “Whoever, whatever, you are, you have been summoned here, and are bound to our will until such a time as-”
He stopped; the girl had turned, and was staring at an attractive woman who was standing to one side.
“YoUR preTty, lady. YoU’re A PRetty, pRETty ladY.” The girl giggled. She turned away, and inspected the room. “ThIS pLace is UgLy.” She waved her hand, and suddenly the room was filled with plants. Vines covered the walls and weeds forced their way through cracks in the concrete floor. The remaining windows shattered as tree blanches forced their way in, allowing the multitudes of animals, which had begun to gather outside, to enter the building.
“Stop! Stop this now!” the magician roared. He drew a complex sign in the air, and a bolt of energy flashed through the air between him and the girl. She screamed, a piecing cry that was joined by the assembled animals, and the girl collapsed to the ground.
Silence filled the room. The girl looked up, an expression of hatred and terror on her face.
“YoU’re MEAN!” She cried, and suddenly the room was full of sound. A crack of thunder ripped through the room and the earth shook underfoot. Without warning, the plants that surrounded the group burst into flames.
Several members of the group cried out, searching for a way out. In the center of the circle, the girl had vanished. In her place stood an old woman. The woman’s hair was grey and tangled, the skin of her face worn and wrinkled, like the bark of an ancient tree.
“How dARe YoU? hOW DaRE yOU hUrT Us!” She screamed. Her voice was the boom of thunder, and the eruption of the greatest volcano.
Almost as soon as the fire had started, it was gone. The room, which had been an abandoned wreck to start with, was now a bombsite. The walls were blackened, the burnt remains of the plants clinging to them. Broken glass littered the floor. Any of the animals that had survived the disaster had fled.
The girl had changed once again. In the center of the circle, a woman sat, hugging her knees and fighting back tears. She had pitch-black hair, and snow-white skin. The cornucopia lay on the floor a little way away from her.
“Let m-Me gO.” She whispered, and the man felt a drop of moisture hit his hand. Within minutes, his robes were soaked, the rain pouring from the ceiling. “p-PlEAse, lEt mE GO.”
“No.” he replied, struggling to make himself heard over the storm.
“Let mE GO!”
The explosion ripped through the derelict building, tearing it apart. The fire lit up the sky, turning the clouds blood red. Stone and mortar were sent flying, the bodies of the acolytes among them, tossed through the air like dolls.
The leader stood in the middle, surveying the wreckage, the bodies of his dead followers. He smiled; at least he had survived.
“Greetings, Johann Faust.” A voice spoke behind him. The man turned, and saw a tall figure standing behind him. The man had bone-white skin and silvery hair. He appeared to be young, but it was hard to judge. He wore a black suit, its material so dark that it seemed to suck the light into it. He leant on a walking tick which had a skull-shaped handle.
“Who are you?” The man asked, although he already knew. The man gestured at the magician’s feet. His body lay on the ground, twisted and burnt, half buried in the rubble.
“Are you ... you aren't Death ... are you?” The taller man smiled. “But… I was trying to summon you, but you didn’t come. I got this girl, this thing.”
“My sister.” Death said, smiling faintly.
“Sister?”
“The lady Gaia, the physical embodiment of all nature.” Death turned away, searching though the rubble.
“Oh.”
“She can be quite…wild.” The man leant down, a scooped a body out from under a mound on broken bricks. The young girl rested in her brother’s arms, sleeping peacefully. He turned, walking away from the broken building.
“Wait! What about me?” Faust asked. Death turned.
“What about you?”
“Well, you can’t just leave me here. What about my afterlife?” A feeling of dread had come over the man.
“You have tried to harm my sister. Why should I guide you to the other side, when you have committed such a crime against my family? You shall remain here, for eternity, as punishment for your actions.”
Death turned and walked away. In the distance, the sun began to rise. Faust sat down on a lump of stone.
How long could eternity last?
© Copyright 2007 Froggy (rochezf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1350153-Gaia-1