*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1350740-Excerpts-From-Pam-Taylors-Diary
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1350740
Will Pam Taylor's nightmares come back to haunt her.
‘Hope you enjoy our quiet little town,’ the real estate agent Ben said.

‘I’m sure I will. I’ve always wanted to live on the beach. All that blue wide open seas always has a calming affect’ said Pam Taylor.She eyed Ben thoughtfully for a moment He reminded her of someone. Maybe it was his puzzled look and his blue eyes that pierced right through her.’

Here is your handbook of the sites. I’m sure I’ll be seeing you soon for the rent’

‘Yes,here's hoping the surroundings, the rush of the waves will give me incentive to get my writing done. I’m just starting out.’ she said.

‘An author in the making.’

‘ Yes you could say that,’ she said, while tying back her blond hair.

Ben gave his puzzled look and asked, ‘what do you write?’

‘ I extract excerpts from my diary and form them into short stories. I was haunted through my nightmares as a child, so I began writing a diary,’ she said.

‘How unfortunate...was there any meaning to your nightmares?’

‘Yes- half asleep I witnessed a dark figure in a form of a man climbing into my bedroom window. He had held his gloved hand over my mouth and pressed his knee hard into my ribs. But my black labrador Rex warned him off. To this day; his never been caught.’

‘Eerie,’ said Ben.

‘I happened to notice one thing.’

‘What would that be?’ asked Ben.

‘Dawn was breaking, so I did get a glimpse of his eyes! They were quiet blue just like yours. How uncanny.’

So they haven’t captured him yet?

‘No, it’s been more then I can bare.Bad memories keep cropping up,so I moved up here.

‘Ben slipped the keys into her hands without looking up.’

‘Something wrong?’ she asked.

‘No, just a twinge an old football injury,’ he said grimacing.

‘That’s no good, I’ll be off now. The furniture removalists are coming at five, she said, heading towards the open idoor. I better be there to supervise, who knows what valuable will end up broken.’

‘ See you Monday for the rent.’ said Ben

On the drive up to the beach house, Pam couldn’t help but wonder how odd Ben was acting, Even though he was nice enough, he was acting kind of nervous towards the end of their conversation.

Pam made it to the beach house, as the removalist van reversed up the driveway.
A sweaty burley man, not looking he would be short of a feed asked, ‘which room is the TV going into love?’

‘Be careful, I’ve only recently purchased the TV.’

‘Right on love said the other man helping the sweaty burley guy. He was easier on the eye, winking as she looked his way.Blushing, she decided to make her get away into the house.

She sat herself down on the only wooden chair in the middle of the kitchen.Someone seemed like they had been making themselves at home at Pam’s expense.In the corner there was a wood stove, The stove was still warm and the cinders were smoldering to a flicker.There were dishes piled up high in the sink with baked on grease.It would take her a month of Sundays to wash them up, she sighed.

The burley sweaty man peaked his head around the door, in astonishment. He asked ‘what happened here?’

‘Isn’t it obvious, mayhem has happened?,she retorted.

‘Probably squatters.’ Piped up the more helpful man, placing a lamp down on the small coffee table

‘How can you be certain it was?’ she asked.

‘The young couple, who lived here before you, had the same problem. We also moved their furniture up here,’ said the burley sweaty guy.

‘I’ll clean this mess up and contact the agent first light with my complaint,' she added.

The old beach house was starting to feel like home. after the removal van had driven off and she washed the dishes.She noticed her hands were looking red raw.I'll end up with dish pan hands at this rate, she thought.

She sat down at her computer desk. It was well organized. Her half finished writing in the in box and her finished writing in the out box. Pens and pencils lined up neatly in her pink flowery stationary box. She opened up her diary and started to memmorise the day.

Friday August 14th 1999.

Today I thought I could feel his presence. Not sure where,but I knew he was near. I’ve been drawn to this old house as long as I can remember.
Having passed through this seaside beach so many times before.
A child so small, I was with my parents. Mum and Dad enjoyed coming through here as much as I did. I loved the smell of the salt sprayed air. I’m back here- drawn to this old house, but why and why now. I feel an unusual aura around that man;the blue eyed man, Got to find out more about him. So curious; I need to know more.

Pam woke up shivering, the rain was pelting on the old beach house roof. The rushing of the waves kept her up all night Her sea change hopes had been dashed, she thought. She contacted the agent as she intended.

‘Ben, its Pam. I’m calling to complain about the unkempt state the premises were in. For starters, I think there may have been squatters in the house. The kitchen was in disarray when I arrived here. dirty dishes in the sink, and the woodstove had barely burnt to an ember.’

‘Trust me I will get right on to the problem.’ He said.

‘I guess I wasn’t the only one to make a complaint and one more request. I know the house is old, but suitable heating would be nice,’ said Pam cutting him off before he could reply.

Maybe I shouldn’t have been repelled to do that, but I’m so enraged right now. she thought.

Ben showed up that afternoon, tools in one hand and his other out for the rent.

I thought you were collecting the rent on Monday,’ she asked,looking confused.

‘You get me out here... very inconvenient don’t you agree?’

‘No I don’t agree.’

‘ That’s why I’ve asked for the rent now,' interrupting her rudely.' Seeing the weekend is upon us, my time is wasted-yes you agree,’ he said with a gruff voice. It was thick with his wrath.

‘No, but what I do agree with is when I call you out, I do expect a quick response.’

‘Whats that got to do with me given up my weekend?’ he asked. He headed towards the back door to investigate if there was a problem with the pilot light outside.

‘I’m not going to argue with you, I just need to know, whether the problem can be fixed before winter is over. Concentrating on my writing will be difficult in this icy house,’ she stated.

‘See here’s the problem, the pilot light has blown out. You could have seen to it yourself.’

‘Oh sorry, I’ve lived a sheltered life.’ She sarcastically replied.

' Sarcasm does not become you,' he retorted.

‘Yeah, yeah here’s the rent money. Including a weeks rent in advance and don’t forget to close the door after you, once you start the pilot light.’

Once the job was finished, he picked up his tools, saying.’ I’m going now, but I’ll be back.’

‘Don’t forget to give me enough notice before you arrive.’

The door slamming echoed through out the drafty house.

A trip down to the local store for groceries will do me some good, she thought
‘She grabbed up her bag. She had taken two short steps, before she heard a noise coming from outside the lounge room window. She stopped short and went to investigate. The phone ringing chilled her.

‘Hello, hello is anyone there?'’ she pleaded.After slamming down the phone, she was so annoyed, as there was not a murmur.Nobody knows I’m here anyway, only Mum she thought. Maybe a wrong number, but she didn’t feel so sure. Doubts about the past crept up in her mind.

Looking out the lounge room window gave her the idea if anyone was out there, they’d be long gone by now.She thought she would take in a coffee at the local seaside café, before doing the grocery shopping.

Ordering a croissant, her focus turned towards a gathering of beach goers comforting a young woman.The woman, an auburned hair woman, roughly in her late twenties. She was beside herself, how forlorn she looked kneeling on the sand.She was crying,’ my daughter has gone missing. I’m sure someone has taken her.’
I wandered over to capture the grief stricken moment. The police arrived and the young woman went off with them up along the shore Pam could still hear her crying.

Arriving home, she noticed the door was ajar.’ I’m sure I locked the door,’ she said aloud, after placing the groceries on the bench. She checked for theft, she also noticed her diary was opened to yesterday’s entry. She had locked her diary in the desk draw. The lock was damaged.Her next move was to call the police.

‘Hello, Constable Phillip Baker here, how may I help you?’

‘This is Pam Taylor, I’ve just moved into the beach house on Churchill Drive. Well I was out shopping and it appears an intruder has broken in.

‘We’ll have a patrol car out a.s.a.p, Miss Taylor. It is Miss isn’t it?’

‘Yes please hurry. I’m sure I heard noises coming from outside earlier in the day,’ she said.

‘Will get right on to it Miss Taylor.'

She packed her groceries away, while making herself a coffee. Turning the radio on...it was time for the hourly news.

‘To head off the 4 o'clock news. An eleven year old girl, who went missing at the seaside beach today, has ended in tragedy. Her body was discovered by two fishermen, fishing off the jetty. She got tangled up in one of their lines; as he was reeling in what he thought was the catch of the day. The gruesome discovery was found.

Pam felt numb as she silenced the radio. The phone ringing startled her. ‘Hello, hello; I know somebody’s there,’ she screamed.

‘I’m watching you.’ a muffled voice said and there was silence.

On the arrival of the Police she said,’ I’ve just received a call from a person, trying to disguise his voice.It sounded muffled, stating that there watching me!’

Jotting that down in his notepad, Constable Blake introduced himself and his partner Constable Barker.

‘Now Miss is there any items of value been stolen?’ asked Constable Blake.

‘No, but my desk draw was tampered with and my diarie's’ been disturbed.’

‘Well there’s been no sign of forced entry Miss’, said Constable Barker.

‘The door was ajar, but I’m quiet certain I didn’t leave it open.’

‘We’ll scope the premises for clues; also outside for disturbances,’ said Constable Barker.

They found footprints,maybe a mans size 9 imbedded into the tiny garden.

After Constable Blake swabbed for prints around the desk area he wrote in his notepad… he received a call on his Police radio.

‘We’ve got to go Miss, but we’ll be on the look out for your intruder,’ said Constable Blake.

She sat down at her desk, opening up to today’s page relieved that they allowed her to hold onto her diary just for today. But they did say they’d be back for it.

Saturday August 15th 1999.

At the seaside, a girl so young went missing. Her mother so sad and forlorn. Tragedy struck, the young girl robbed of her innocence. Memories come flooding back into mind. Feeling his presence growing stronger with each fading day. Who is he, only god knows? That poor girl; she is no more. The sun sets for another day. Am I getting closer to the truth, or is it all in my mind.This strong presence of him, I feel around me.

Placing her diary back into the tampered draw. Her thoughts turned to that day. If it wasn’t for her faithful labrador Rex warning off her intruder; the out come could have been different She could have turned up somewhere on a dark stretch of rough terrain; in a makeshift grave or fish food like that little girl.

After dishing up a meal of spaghetti bolognaise, not too much sauce; tomato paste and a sprinkle of melted cheese- she decided to take a long soak in the tub with her favorite bubble bath. The aroma of strawberries was given off an intoxicating scent.

A rap at the door had taken her out of her relaxing state.

‘I wonder who that could be at this time, she mumbled, searching for her watch in her robe. It was Ten O Seven. She put her crèam robe on and headed for the door.
She opened the front door to find no one was there That’s weird- I thought I heard a knock at the door. Being here on my own must be making me feel on edge.Still feeling tense, she made her way to bed. But knowing her Mum will be making an appearance after dawn calmed her into a deep sleep.

He crept silently crouched down on hind legs outside her bedroom window. Waiting for the right moment to pounce. If he planned it well, the feeling it will give off will enhance the thrill that will travel right throughout his body.He pulled his black beanie over his ears and his black hooded drawstring on his jacket tighter. Peering through the ice stained window, he saw her lying still, under the bed covers.

The full moon shone down into her room, making it easier to eye his next victim. How uncomplicated is this he thought as he unlatched the window with poise as not to draw attention to himself

He army crawled along the polished ceder wooden floor He took a small bottle of chloroform and placed a little into a cloth. He held it over her moist mouth. She was helpless to defend herself, as she was already in a deep sleep.
He drew the covers back and he carried her up in his arms out to his blue car. The scent of her strawberry bath lotion was still evident and left him in a stimulated state.

He opened up the boot of his blue Camera and positioned her in there.
He took one brief gaze at his victim and whispered, ‘our journey will be short as I have plans in store for you.’
. .
The chloroform had worn off and she woke up in a dark place. Fear welled up, her mouth became dry. The scream was not there. Was she reliving a nightmare? Her surroundings were unfamiliar. The car had stopped with a jolt at the intended destination.

He got out of his car and tied a handkerchief around his face to mask his appearance. She heard footsteps nearing closer.Realizing her fate, she thought she’d be ready for him once he opened her dark place.

On opening the boot she kicked out at him, with one swift boot, she knocked him to the gound.Trying to make a run for it was invain.He grabbed her left ankle and upended her.

‘Lay still and I might let you live,’ he groaned in anger, His voice was muffled by the handkerchief.

‘Who are you, did you have anything to do with that little girl’s murder?’

‘A genius never discloses his talent,' he laughed. He grabbed a length of twine with his right hand and held on tightly to her with his other hand with a vice like grip.After tying her up, tapeing her mouth and blind folding her he said, ‘just get moving or I’ll start digging your grave right here and now.'

He led her into a locked room at the back of the cabin.

‘If I remove the tape from your mouth, do you promise not to utter a peep?'

As soon as he left the room she yelled,’ what are you planning to do with me?’

There was no reply.

‘Can you at least untie my hands and take the blindfold off, she said, almost tripping over a wooden crate. I can’t see my way around or move around too well.’

‘That’s the idea, now be quiet and make the most of your situation, as I will have plans for you soon.’

As best as she could she made her way around and sat down on the edge of the bed in the corner. The mattress had an odor to it, a smell of death drifted through the air. Could he have had someone else here before her. It was awkward with her hands entwined when lying down on the mattress.After she gathered her thoughts, the presence she felt was becoming distinctive, even overwhelming she believed, as she heard a key accessing the locked door.

He held her down moaning I’m going to have my way with you this time. I will. I should have done this; all those years ago, when you were a young girl’

She froze before squeaking out, it was you!’

She struggled to loosen her tied hands. He forced his knee into her ribs! ‘You haven’t got your saviour with you now!’


He left her there with her tear stained face and said ‘Ill be back in the morning light.’

She kept struggling to loosen the frayed rope that entwined her small frail wrists.

Morning came and Pam’s mother Peg had arrived as planned. Peg stepped off the bus at the bus depo.She looked around, but no Pam.I’m sure Pam was going to be here to pick me up before I arrived on the Seven AM bus, she sighed. Pam made it clear in her letter. She waited and waited, but still no Pam. She decided to call her, but no answer. She must be stuck in traffic, she thought.

Pam finally loosened the frayed rope, also to remove her blindfold. She heard movement outside the locked door. The handle on the locked door started to turn. She retrieved the wooden crate and crept silently near the door.

Peg, felt self doubt in her mind. She decided to make her way to Pam’s beach house by taxi.When she had arrived, Peg's self doubts dawned on her that her fears could be real as she approached her daughters front door.

With the handkerchief still around his face, he appeared around the door.
Pam shoved the crate hard into his chest and knocked him off balance.

Peg wandered around the house, not knowing what her find might entail On pushing Pams bedroom door open she eyed the open bedroom window immediately. Her worst fears were coming to a head. She informed the Police straight away.

‘I have reason to believe, foul play has happened to my daughter Pam,’ she said half frazzled.

‘This is Constable Barker, now calm yourself mam. Now what's your daughters full name and address.

Pam jumped over him and headed towards the front entrance. She didn’t make out where she was, but started to head along the shores edge That was her only expectation of making it back home or running into some help. She had travelled halfway along the shores edge, when she started to hear footsteps behind her
.
‘ Constable Phil Barker and Constable Stuart Blake showed up at Pams house.Pams mother Peg showed them Pams diary. Peg opened it to Pam’s last entry and showed them Constable Barker placed it in the evidence bag. 'We should have taken the diary when we had the chance yesterday ,' Barker whispered to Blake.

'Yes I guess we would have known what was really going on,' whispered back Blake to Barker.

Peg eyed them with curiosity, not wanting to intrude. She was too frazzled too bother. They searched the rest of the premises for clues; and then they called in for backup.

‘Don’t worry yourself Mrs Taylor; we’ll find your daughter. She did have problems with an intruder the day before yesterday,’ said Constable Blake.

‘Sorry, I didn’t know. She should have told me. She didn’t like to talk to me about her dilemmas,’ said Peg.

Pam, thinking she was almost to a safe place-was unexpectedly dragged by force by the hair head first into the sand. Screaming was out of the question The beach was deserted.

The Police scoured the outside perimeter and started tracking the beach. A shriek was heard.’ Over there,’ hollered one of the backup Police with a Police dog. The dog ran Pam’s attacker down. It was Ben.

‘See my savior did come in the form of a dog,’ said Pam


© Copyright 2007 magpies (jules1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1350740-Excerpts-From-Pam-Taylors-Diary