*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1350958-I-Remember
by TerJa
Rated: ASR · Poetry · Personal · #1350958
This came from a bad dream when my wife was in the hospital
I remember

When I was 3 I bit into an electric cord.  I remember the buzzing tingle in my head,

When I was 7 I stepped on a nail.  I remember the stabbing pain as it went completely through my foot.

When I was 10 I fell out of a tree.  I remember bouncing down the branches like a ping pong ball.

When I was 13 I broke my nose.  I remember the numb feeling and a lot of blood.

When I was 17 I got hit by a car.  I remember the sound of screeching breaks and a thud.  I woke up in a hospital.  I most of all remember the smell of that hospital.

When I was 18 I met you.  I remember----oh, so much, so very much.  All wonderful.  No pain.  Just you.

When I was 22 we married.  I remember our life together almost as a fairy tale.

When I was 31 I had a gallbladder attack.  I remember the pain being so great I couldn't even stand up.  Back to the hospital.  I still most of all remember the smells.

When I was 58 I had a mild heart attack.  I remember thinking I don't want to leave you much more than I remember any pain.  Hospital. Smells.

When I was 63 you went away.  All I remember anymore are the painful events of my life.

I'm 65.  I stand here by your stone.

I remember------
© Copyright 2007 TerJa (ralrac at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1350958-I-Remember