*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1351802-Silence
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1351802
Random piece about changing and how people effect us.
Silence filled the air around her, but it didn’t matter because her mind was filled of thoughts, of dreams, of people she loved and people she had lost.  Rain violently fell from the sky, and she shuddered as the bitterly cold wind hit her and knocked her sideways like a skittle.  As she looked around her at the deserted park she thought how beautiful it looked, she breathed in a deep breath and let the fresh air fill her lungs.  This was the one place in the world she could come and truly be herself, no one judged her or told her where she was going wrong in life.  Here she stood alone, she was her one critic. 

People and experiences from the past haunted her soul and had turned her in to someone she didn’t like but recently she had felt a change deep inside her.  Things felt good right now.  Her heart was filled with so much warmth for the people in her life.  She has always been afraid of letting people in before, afraid of fear of rejection and of hurt, now she wanted people to know the real her.  The walls she had built around her heart around her thoughts around her dreams had to come down, and one by one they slowly were. 

She shuddered again; the wind was cutting through her like a knife.  It was a cold November night, the ground was covered in wet leaves which made it slippery to walk.  The sky was filled with hundreds of stars, all twinkling down on the world which existed beneath them.  She looked at them and smiled, there were so many beautiful things in the world and she wanted to appreciate them.  Life is all about living and not purely existing and that was a rule she was trying so hard to live by.

Her friends were amazing, but there was also a special someone which filled both her mind and her heart.  Thinking about him, his smile, his touch, the way he looked at her made her feel warm inside.  Thoughts of him raced through her mind almost every hour of every day, she had never let a member of the opposite sex in to her heart, and she still wasn’t convinced she was ready to do that now.  She wanted to try though, she wanted to give herself to someone, she wanted to know what true love was, she had always stopped herself from feeling love before.  She had always believed love would weaken her, but now she thought maybe there was a small chance it could make her stronger, that two hearts were better than one, that maybe there were other people that could help her and that maybe she didn’t always need to help herself.  She didn’t always have to stop herself from falling, there were other people that could break her fall and stop her from plummeting to the hard ground below.

Even though she was twenty she had never really had close friends before, people didn’t seem to stick around for very long. She smiled thinking about the amazing people she had in her life now, they had helped her realise who she was, made her realise that she did have dreams, that she did want to be somebody and make something of her life.  She wasn’t afraid to admit those things anymore, it didn’t affect anyone else if she failed, she knew that now, and she wasn’t going to fail anyway so there was nothing to worry about. 

Her clothes were drenched; her feet wet, her hair stuck to her face and mascara slowly slid down her cheek.  A tear forced its way out of her brown eye an eye which glistened with hope, it was a tear of happiness, a tear which represented all the good things that were to come, a tear of hope and of appreciation for all the people she knew and loved.  Her smile grew, and she turned round and started her walk back to reality, to the people which filled her heart, and to the living of the dreams.

The End
© Copyright 2007 smileatdawn (smileatdawn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1351802-Silence