*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1352038-Childhood-Is-Calling
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Summer
Rated: E · Other · Personal · #1352038
I love the rain, and my childhood was calling.
Childhood Is Calling

I listened carefully from my position on the couch as the clouds roared above. For once I didn’t have to strain to hear the pitter-patter of the rain hitting the window pane. Tightening my blanket around my shoulders, I watched the water crystals cascade down. The trees swayed back and forth from the force of the wind. The leaves whirled through the air.
Nostalgic was the best way to describe what I was feeling. I love the rain, I always have. There’s something mystical about it or at least that what I’ve always thought. Grey skies swirl, letting me know that it wouldn’t be stopping anytime soon. I was looking at all of this but I wasn’t seeing it. Instead, sweet memories embraced me as I remembered my childhood. Throughout my life, rain has always been something that’s constant. It always follows the same pattern that I had come to appreciate. It would stay dormant for awhile, staying mysterious before deciding to grace us with its presence. I didn’t know how sorrow became associated with rain and frankly I didn’t understand it. All I remember is joy.
I continued to stare and saw a little girl staring back, her hand was outstretched and a mischievous smile graced her lips.
As soon as I got up from my seat and walked towards the glass doors, the little girl ran away, her raven hair flying out behind her. Looking back she shot me an encouraging smile.
Tentatively, I outstretched my hand. Cold rain splashed against my palm. However, I was entranced by that little girl so I stepped out into the rain and gasped as the cold water hit me with full force.
I stumbled a little before continuing to follow her. Her eyes twinkled as she leapt into the different puddles. Before I knew what was happening, I was splashing around. I followed the raven, haired girl, standing beside her. We both ran in the rain, laughing. Strands of our hair clung to our forehead and flew out around us whenever we jumped.
I didn’t know how long we danced in the rain before I realized I was alone. I looked around, searching for that little girl but she'd mysteriously disappeared. My eyes dropped down to the puddle in front of me and there I saw myself when I was younger. With raven hair, a mischievous smile gracing my lips and a twinkle in my eye.

Childhood Was Calling
© Copyright 2007 Summer (aries01 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1352038-Childhood-Is-Calling