*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1352768-A-Temporal-Error
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest · #1352768
A time traveler is temporarily stuck. Entered in 11/25/07 DFF Challenge.
He slowly opened his eyes and winced at the pain he felt at the back of his head. He quickly recalled receiving the fateful blow while observing his subjects from his post--a rookie mistake, laughable for a veteran Shifter. The scent of dried blood assailed his nostrils and he became aware of the animal skin on which he laid. Groggily, he sat up and realized he was naked; his clothing sat in a pile near the fire. He watched as a young female fed the flames with his trousers. Nearby, he saw what he was hoping to find and knew that he needed to retrieve it before it, too, became kindling.

         He stood and heard shuffling to his right. Two males had begun approaching him. He realized they felt threatened, and slowly raised both hands, hoping it would signal acquiescence, but they continued their advance. A hand grabbed his arm, and he found that the female had walked to his side. Under her wide forehead, soft eyes stared at him in bemusement. She grunted and lifted a hand to his face, which made him smile. He gingerly lifted the Chrono from her hand. Dismay flew across his face when he realized it was damaged.

         Dejected, he tossed the broken Chrono into the fire, and marveled at how little the useless gadget affected the flames. The female grabbed his arm again, and led him back to his makeshift bed where they both laid down. He watched the firelight dance across the rugged expanse of the cave's ceiling, wondering how long it would take for the Agency to realize something had gone wrong and send a Recovery Team. For now, he knew he had no choice but to wait and play along, and welcome the amorous caresses of his new wife.

Written for 11/25/07 Daily Flash Fiction Challenge
Prompt:
Write about a character who travels to another time.
Word Count: 300
© Copyright 2007 Sam N. Yago (jonsquared at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1352768-A-Temporal-Error