*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1352807-Baghira-our-first-cat
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Animal · #1352807
A cat comes in the family and lifechanges ...
                   

                 
Baghira, our first cat


            My late wife, Kathy, was a dog lover. Soon after our first child was born, Kathy decided that Robin needs a pet dog. So after Christmas, we ended up in the local animal shelter, looking for a pet cuddly dog for Robin. However, none of the dogs were small and the child was not eager for them. As we were about to walk out from there, a man walked in with a Sheltie pup. Hearing the big dogs barks in the background, the poor puppy was trembling with fear. Our son, who had seen Lessie TV show, he walked up to the puppy and uttered only one word, “Lessie” and my wife had fallen for the Sheltie, which is a miniature sheepdog from Shetland and resembles like Collie, the Lessie type of dog. The man, who was unloading the pup was very honest and told us that the puppy was not house broken and as her wife is expecting a baby soon, she was in no position to look after this mixed breed of Shetland Shepard dog. Anyway, this is not going to be a dog story, so I better stop this divination by just adding that the puppy was named Nicky, and ruled the house and a little bit more of the neighborhood. As I mentioned earlier, Kathy loved dogs but she was prejudiced against cats. To her cats were selfish creatures not as loving as dogs and did nothing for the owners – in fact, she believed that the cat eventually become the owner of the man or woman, who adopted it. Don't laugh at her prejudice, till you come to the end of the story.


                In our library, there was an English man, Leslie G. , an expert of rare books and old manuscripts. Les, as we all called him, was fond of cats and proud owner of one pure Siamese and one exotic Himalayan cat. Les and I had regularly lunch at the same time and at the same table, in the staff lunch room, with two other colleagues. That particular day, Les was disturbed that a stray cat, which walked into their yard, had no place to go. The black cat came out of a distant moving van, which brought belongings of a family, moving in the neighborhood. Les explained to us that the curiosity of cat often takes them far away if they get in a long distance vehicle. Les at no avail, had advertised in the local newspaper, for a week, seeking someone to adopt a sweet black cat - now the cat had to go to SPCA and possibly face death, if not adopted, within a week. He asked if any of us can find a home for a real nice cat, for it had already won the hearts of that family. However, those exotic cats of his, did not care for the vagabond one and were constantly fighting.


          The day of this event, happen to be my birthday – so when I asked Kathy to adopt a cat, she could not refuse because I declared the cat as my birthday present. We all went to see the cat and decided to adopt it. Kathy named the all black cat, with bright yellow eyes, Baghira ( an animal character of Rudyard Kipling). Les was well equipped and loaned us their cat carrying cage and Baghira joined our family. Nicky, of course, gave his dissenting vote and tried to chase the cat out and barked the protest loudly. Les had advised us not to worry about the cat or dog, they will found their place in the family and peace will prevail. We were not sure at this stage. But suddenly, all became quiet – Nicky was looking all over, like a chicken with head cut off but Baghira had disappeared. We accepted the calmness as God's grace -  We all went to sleep peacefully and the dog settled down too.


          Three days went away and no sign our of new member - we all were concerned – may be by mistake we let the door opened and the cat went out. But Les suggested that we place some dry cat food at a higher ground, where the dog can not reach and watch if the food disappears. Sure enough Baghira was some where in the house – the food was gone and elusive cat was still not seen by dog or humans.


                On the fifth day our young daughter, was playing with her friend of the neighborhood and Kathy heard a loud scream of girls, in the basement. They had noticed two yellow eyes looking at them from the rafter of the basement ceiling. The scene, was like a jungle cat looking at prey, as the mother described. Of course, mother had vivid imagination, no doubt. The fact was the cat was tamed and came to her willingly or because Baghira was hungry and thirsty. All this time Nicky was watching the act as unbelievable but as soon as the cat started walking around, he pounced and then another cry from dog. The cat has taken a swipe with her fore pow and bloodied Nicky's nose. But that commotion settled soon and the two animals had signed a co-existance treaty. The dog was required to keep a visible distance from the cat, but cat could come near him any time to smell or play with his bushy tail.


                Everyone adored Baghira and he adored everyone in return. His morning ritual was to sit on top of my chest and purr so loudly, while I was trying to take one more wink of sleep. He has mind of his own and anyone who tried otherwise with him could get a scratch at a short notice – nothing serious, just a part of discipling others.

              The adorable cat was a male and soon started acting like a teenager. That winter, he started staying out late at night. We did not mind his late night partying but then one morning he came with a bloody ears, all with deep scratches. Baghira was taken to the vet, who just laughed and said that is just part of male cat's ritual – ally brawl and male rivalry to fight for female. The animal doctor also warned us that these male cats also loose tips of their ears, due to harsh winter frostbite. Naturally, my wife and I, as responsible parents, imposed curfew on Baghira and he was not allowed to go at late night prowls and to this he protested vigorously. We thought things were under control but one evening Baghira sneaked out and just did not return.


          A week went away and there was no sign of that damn black cat. When ever we gathered to eat, the four of us only talked about the lost cat. The kids loved to say how Baghira demanded cereal from Dad's breakfast and how the kids used to feed the cat, by dropping food under the table, when Mom was not looking. We all expected the cat's return but slowly started accepting his departure.

        Two weeks passed away and it seemed a month, since the cat disappeared and I was just in my pensive mood thinking of Baghira, “It would be a miracle of God, if that darn cat shows up again”. Suddenly I heard purring under my chair and then one leap and he was on my lap. It sure was a miracle and I even today I think. it was indeed. The black cat was full of dust and Kathy like a mother to that cat decided to give him a bath, while he protested and gave her a few scratches. Well, everyone of the family had more to talk about him now then before. We allowed Baghira to go out in the night and he stayed some nights away too – he came with bloody ears too and we just put antibiotic ointment and the wounds healed.

          Next summer, one day in the daytime, he again took off and never came back. Somehow, we had a feeling that it was last time we would see him and came true. Our cat expert, Les told us that was the bad trait in the "pussy cat", a "gypsy",. who did not like living at one place, and settling down, or just took another ride in some movers' van.
© Copyright 2007 mwonder (mwonder at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1352807-Baghira-our-first-cat