*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1355664-Not-Once-Looking-Back
by Bounty
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1355664
They never once looked back....
Not Once Looking Back

She was scared…

         The night was perfect, with the movie and dinner and everything. He was dropping her off at her house, a charming building with a typical swing on the porch. She invited him to sit with her on the swing before their night had to end. He accepted easily.

She was scared…

         The silence was comfortable as they sat next to each other on the swing. He took her hand in his, just holding it. She allowed it, enjoying the feeling of his palm next to hers and their entwined fingers. There shoulders were flush against each other, the heat radiating from the others body surprising them.

She was scared…

         He turned away from the night sky and gazed upon her face. Her eyes were filled with contentment and her lips were stretched in a half smile. Peaceful. He smiled without realizing the action and squeezed her hand, making her turn to him.

She was scared…

         Looking at him, she held her silence as he spoke of his feelings. As he told of his admiration, how much he cared for her and of how much he wanted to be with her. Through out everything she held her silence, not saying a word or betraying her state of mind. Once the silence fell on them again, she turned her face back on the night sky.

She was scared…

         Hearing noise inside the house, the anxiety rose in her. Thinking it was her mother, fear quickly followed the anxiety. She slowly, careful pulled her hand from him and moved to one side of the swing, examining his face.

She was scared…

         He knew that though he wasn’t saying anything, he was pleading for an answer, a response, anything. When the silence remained, he could take it no longer and drew her face closer, kissing her softly, slowly, pleadingly.

She was scared…

         A louder noise took her away from the warmth of his lips and she took his hands from her face. Standing up, her face remained expressionless despite the tears down her face. In one smooth motion, she turned her back and walked towards the door. She pulled it open, stepped inside and closed the solid oak door behind her, not once looking back.

She was scared…

         He stared at the door, wishing for it to open. He hoped she would come out. He wished for the ache in his chest to disappear. He wanted to storm in there and demand a response. He stood up, thrust his hands in the pockets of his jeans and walked down the steps of the porch, not once looking back.

She was scared…
But he was destroyed.

© Copyright 2007 Bounty (chanti at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1355664-Not-Once-Looking-Back