*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1356865-Laughter-is-the-Best-Medicine
by Douger
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Relationship · #1356865
Is laughter good in a relationship? Or does it signal trouble down the road?
670 words

         I can’t remember the last time I laughed. Perhaps it was back when Jodie and I were dating, or just before she died. It’s not clear to me whether I can’t remember or don’t want to remember. Jodie was everything to me. If I wasn’t with her the sun didn’t rise. Now I’m sitting with Marti, and laughing. Her blue eyes sparkle when she smiles. She looks at me and I feel warm all over. I think it may be time to love again.
 
         “I can’t believe you remembered,” Marti said, “It was just something I said in passing.”

         “Hey, don’t worry about it,” I said.

         “I just think it was really great of you. You’re so thoughtful.”

         “Really, it’s no big deal.”

         Marti continued to unwrap the small gift box. She fought with the tape, but finally pulled it open.”

         “I can’t keep this,” she said. “This is too much. Something like this should be given to your girlfriend.” She pulled the diamond bracelet from the box and watched it sparkle in the light of the candle burning on the table. “It’s really too much, Tom.”

         She held the bracelet out as if returning it. I shook my head indicating I wasn’t taking it back.

         “It’s yours,” I told her. “You’ve made me laugh again; you’ve made me feel again. This wouldn’t have been possible without you.”

         She smiled and drew the bracelet back, “I’ve really enjoyed the past few weeks. They’ve really been special for me also.”

         “I thought as much,” I said leaning in to her.

         Our lips met and what started slowly began to burn out of control. I wanted to pull her as close to me as possible. I could tell by her reaction that she felt the same.

         “Let’s get out of here,” I said, dropping eighty dollars on the table. She grabbed my hand and we almost ran to the door. Others were watching but it didn’t matter. We hopped in the car and arrived at my house within ten minutes. At the twelve-minute mark we fell onto the bed. Our desire burned and threatened to scorch everything around us. We rolled from side to side, pushing and pulling, gripping and thrusting. After what seemed like hours we fell exhausted to each side of the now rumpled bed. The clock indicated only twenty minutes had passed.

         “My legs are shaking,” Marti said. “I don’t think I could walk if I had to.”

         “There’s no reason you should,” I whispered. “What ever you need I’ll get for you.”

         “I’ve never been happier,” she replied.

         I reached to the nightstand and grabbed the item that says I love you like no other. Not since Jodie had I used it. Not since Jodie had I wanted to use it. I touched the side of it to her back.

         “That’s cold,” she laughed.

         We lay together, her back to me, and I listened to her breathe. I kissed her neck and brushed her long, blond hair. Again I was reminded of Jodie. I reached around Marti and sunk all five inches of my blade into her neckthroat. With a swift pull on the knife it was done. She didn’t fight, didn’t scream. The last words she spoke were of love and happiness. That’s the way it should be.

         I began to laugh. It rolled out of me, a joy unleashed. I can’t remember the last time I laughed so hard. My arm pulled Marti closer. The warm blood ran across my elbow and soaked into the bed. I now remembered the last time I laughed. It was the night I released Jodie’s joy. The night we shared this special bond. It was a year ago on her birthday, something Jodie and Marti shared. I knew it was going to be hard but number three would have to wait for another year to pass. It would take that long to find someone else born on All Hollows Eve, someone with whom I could share my laughter and joy.

         

© Copyright 2007 Douger (douger3333 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1356865-Laughter-is-the-Best-Medicine