*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1357468-Friends-of-Circumstance-Chapter-2
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Family · #1357468
Marjorie gets a punishment and has a confrontation with her dad.
         Once we were in the principal’s office, Principal Clarke gave us one of her “I-expect-more-of-my-students” speeches and called our parents. Christopher’s mother and father were the first to arrive, of course, and he was set free in no time. They even let him go back to the prom. He walked out with a cocky smile and a wink to me.
         It felt like I sat on that wooden bench forever before my father showed up in all his glory. He almost looked like he was going to prom in his Armani tux (it was only the best for Frank Ashford). With his salt and pepper hair slicked back, he easily looked as classically handsome as Humphrey Bogart or Clark Gable. That might explain my mother’s slight resemblance to Lauren Bacall.
         He didn’t waste his time by talking to me. However, he did take the time to throw a disapproving glance my way. I knew I would be in for on of his “Ashford do not behave this way, you are disgracing our family name” talks. It was our special thing. I sat calmly outside the principal’s office with my ankles crossed. I didn’t bother listening to the mix of voices inside. What would they do? Expel me? Like my father would let that happen. They couldn’t kick me out like my private school did and I really couldn’t have cared less anyway.
         When Principal Clarke opened the door and motioned for me to join them, I rose slowly and sauntered into the small office. Even father’s home office was bigger than this cubicle. I took one of the chairs before anyone mentioned sitting and I recrossed my ankles. They could stop wasting my time so I could dance with my boyfriend at least one more time.
         “Miss Ashford,” Principal Clarke began,” I have informed your father of your rebellious actions and we have come to an agreement.” I knew she was merely pausing for effect. Like she actually expected I would tremble from fear because she stopped talking. Good luck with that. “Keep in mind, Miss Ashford that you very well could be expelled for at least one year. You would have to repeat the entire senior year before being allowed to graduate.” She glanced at my father who nodded at her. That meant “please continue.” I’m sure he was dying to get out of there as soon as possible.
         “However, since your senior year is nearly terminated, we are giving you another option. You can do community service time and we will let you graduate but only if you complete the community service.”
         I simply nodded and she excused us. I knew better than to let my true feelings out in front of my principal. I’m a product of “good breeding” and we just don’t behave that way. However, the moment we were outside of the school, my rage come pouring out of me.
         “Community service! Community service! How could you?” I said. My blue eyes narrowed and threw darts at my father. He didn’t as much as flinch in response.
         “How could you sneak alcohol into your prom?”
         “It was Christopher’s alcohol. I didn’t sneak in anything. And he got off free. He is in there right now. Do you really want your only daughter picking trash up from the ditches with criminals?” I felt my face heating up and my hands shook.
         “Don’t be dramatic, Marjorie Leigh. You aren’t going to be picking trash up from the ditches at all,” he said. He continued walking toward the car and his voice remained even.
         “That’s right. I’m not. You need to fix this,” I said, pressing my lips into a firm line.
         “I have done all I am going to do. You will report to St. Michael’s foster home on Saturday and that is all there is to it,” my father said, “It wouldn’t hurt you to learn some responsibility.”
© Copyright 2007 Brittney (novembergirl11 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1357468-Friends-of-Circumstance-Chapter-2