*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1357893-Parasol-Dreams
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1357893
A man living out his dreams.... A short short story that I entered into a contest.

                                  Parasol Dreams

“Can I have a drink please?”
“What would you like to drink sir?”
“How about a mai tai or a pina colada with all the fruit and everything and one of those little umbrellas
please.”
“A parasol.”
“Yes that’s it.”
“I’ll get it right away sir.”
         Aaron Johnson had never been to an island resort before. He’d planned a trip once before but…
         On the flight here Aaron thought he was making a big mistake. He didn’t mind getting up early, he was use to that. It was such a change of peace to go from arriving at the office at 6am and working all day, going to meetings, drinking tons of coffee. Boarding the plane, a part of him wanted to stay and work but the other knew he had to make this trip. As the plane was taking off, Aaron was in his seat, closing his eyes wondering about what this trip was to bring, he thought about all the work he hadn’t done and all things he still had to do. He began to drift off to sleep when he was awoken by someone bumping into him as they go into their seat. He opened his eyes …
         She reminded him of someone. Someone he knew long ago.
“Sorry I didn’t mean to wake you,” she said smiling.”
“Oh no problem,” Aaron said laughing, “Maybe its better I don’t drift off.”
Their eyes met, Aaron was thinking of what to say next, as her mesmerizing gaze was already speaking volumes. Aaron had a feeling come over him that he had known this person before.
“Hi I’m Laura,” extending her hand.
“Aaron, it’s a pleasure to met you.”
“So is this your first time to the island?”
“Yes, yes it is.”
“So why are you going?” Laura asked.
“Well I was supposed to go a year ago but something happened.”
“Oh, was it something at work?”
Aaron realized she seemed genuinely interested.
“Well I was supposed to go with someone…”
         
                Marie and Aaron had been together for two years, living in an apartment in ----- City. They met each other on the street at random, in one of those ways you tell people at parties to get a good laugh from people.  As the story goes with a few changes every so often, Aaron and Marie were both walking down the street and both went for the same idling taxi at the same time. An argument ensued as they each thought they had it. After the cabbie got involved they agreed to share it. ‘You know a fight’s bad when a cabbie is the one asking for peace.’ During the ride no one talked expect for the cabbie, “Where to?” And they both blurted out the same address. When they arrived to a friend’s party at the same time, she opened the door and started laughing.
“Wow, did you two time this on purpose?” she said.
Aaron and Marie looked at her puzzled.
“Marie this is the Aaron I told you about who’s the good cook and Aaron this is the Marie I told you about who loves seeing the world. How funny you got here at the same time.”
She was the only one laughing. Marie and Aaron didn’t talk to each other the rest of the night until the very end when after a few drinks apiece, the white flag of vodka on the rocks was waived. Aaron approaching her as Marie was overlooking the city from the balcony.
“Well I guess nobody will be expecting wedding invitations,” Aaron said handing her the vodka.
Marie laughed, took the vodka, “Are you kidding? I think some women here have already picked out the bride’s maid gowns.”
“I’m sorry about before, I was in a hurry and usually I’m not so confrontational, especially over a cab. Hi I’m Aaron.”
“Marie,” she replied, “Thanks for the drink.”
“No problem. I know it doesn’t compare to the drink you have there,” Aaron pointing to the drink Marie had on the table, a large blue cup with fruit pieces and tons of little umbrellas.
“Well that drink is just a reminder of my vacation.”
“Where did you go?”
“An island in the Caribbean.”
“Do you always drink it with those little umbrellas?
“Absolutely.”
So why all those little umbrellas?”
“The parasols? You’ve got to have those, they make the drink.”
“How?” Aaron wondered.
“People, who have to ask, will never understand.”
Aaron just laughed to himself.
Marie told Aaron about this wonderful island she went recently and all the unbelievable times she had there. They talked for the rest of the night and traveling seeing the world. Sharing their past experiences, current plans and future expectations. It was over the next several months that Marie and Aaron began to start a relationship,  they realized that maybe starting your relationship off on a fight isn’t such a bad thing, you see the worst of that person upfront so things have to get better.
They finally planned a trip to an island in the Caribbean after a year of dating and they were only three weeks away from going when Marie…


“… my girlfriend Marie,” Aaron told Laura, “She died unexpectedly from a car accident. ”
Afterwards Aaron buried himself in work at the office. His days became him waking up the earliest he could and leaving only to sleep, so he could repeat this process. It became the norm for him for over three months until his boss finally sat him down and told him something had to change. He told Aaron he had to take time off, go on a vacation…anywhere. Aaron decided that night to go to the island that Marie and he were going to go to.
“That’s so touching,” Laura told him tearing up slightly.
In so many ways, Laura reminded him of Marie. They both had those eyes that lasted for eternity when you looked into them, the same soft way of speaking but more than anything else it was their aura, something that Aaron could feel.
         The plane landed and Aaron said “Maybe we’ll see each other again,” to Laura.

He went to the beach laid down on blank and realized that Marie was right, this place was great. It was here that Aaron started to feel hope again and on this beach overlooking the surf, a calm sensation came over him. Every care in the world seemed to fade away with each passing second. He couldn’t remember who he was mad at or for what reason or what was due at the office. This was definitely the place he’d like to retire to… she was right. The waiter brought Aaron his drink, complete with parasol and Aaron knew this was the right choice.
         As Aaron looked into the ocean, he thought he saw Laura walking down the beach towards the ocean but he lost sight of her, like she disappeared into the horizon.
         When Aaron went back to work he was at his desk but something was different. As Aaron was called to a meeting he got some strange looks along the way. He knew but didn’t care. In the meeting, Aaron sat down when the boss looked at him and laughing asked Aaron, “Do you always drink your coffee with those little umbrellas?”






© Copyright 2007 Dave Bullis (nobull at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1357893-Parasol-Dreams