*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1360417-More-News-From-Camp-Anaconda
Rated: 13+ · Letter/Memo · Comedy · #1360417
Just another letter from that sleep away camp in the Amazon.
Dear All,

It has been an exciting week here at camp.

Parent's Day is the highlight of any campers experience and we fervently hope it will be better than last year.

I think I have mentioned the amazing Mr. Boolu, that very clever man who knows the
powers of the plants and minerals in this part of the world. He has been going with the little kids to the forest to gather the plants and leaves for the costumes, headdresses and stuff to staunch the bleeding for the circumcision ceremony.

Last week he proved his worth when little Jimmy Binks accidentally stuck himself with a poison dart during crafts class. Mr. Boolu took some bark –or something- from his ever present skin bag, chewed it up, and spit it in Jimmy's mouth. You should have seen what happened next!  Well, maybe not.

At any rate, Jimmy came out of the coma after a couple of days and now all he does is stare into the middle distance a good deal and eat a lot of raw meat. Mr. Boolu assures everyone Jimmy will be right as rain by Parent's Day.  In the mean time, however, we are advised to stay away from the cage.

The older boys are planning a special surprise. Mr. Boolu showed them how to find,
collect and prepare some mineral found near the riverbank. This is ground to a fine powder, packed in the end of a long bamboo tube and inserted in a nostril. Someone then blows really hard on the other end. After staggering around for a while, the lucky camper has a vision of his spirit animal. The parents will really be impressed.

The planning of the Parent's Day feast has been given to the councilors.
There has been some debate on the menu from the exotic to the last of the Spam. Finally, a surprise potluck approach was adopted. Two of the senior councilors went into the forest to dig the pit and bring back what fell in. That was two days ago and they have not returned. These things take their own sweet time you know. In the mean time, there are the yams to dig up and the cassava bread to make.

The camp has been all spruced up and the huts repaired after the fire. I think that's
the last we'll see of those pesky army ants this season. We really showed them who's in charge at Camp Anaconda, I can tell you. The burns were minor and all but the worst of the bites have healed.

Must run. Some of the guys have returned with evidence that the two guys who went out to find the entrée met with their opposite numbers from one of our less than civilized neighbors who, it seems, are planning a feast themselves.

It's really fortunate we have the Spam.

All in all, it should be a great Parent's Day.

Love to all, Ricky

PS,  Please send some more of that ointment?
© Copyright 2007 Michael Spaulding / Curly (curlyone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1360417-More-News-From-Camp-Anaconda