*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1361967-Unwanted-Memory
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1361967
This is a story I sent in for a contest. It is a fiction story, enjoy! ^^
A woman sat, facing a man in a diner booth. It was early in the morning, around nine. It was a partly cloudy day and the sun beamed through the window, sending a glare streaking across the table. The man held a cigarette in his right hand, gazing at the woman. The woman held a small notepad, pen resting against her lower lip. She moved the pen down, taking a silent breath. The man blew out a stream of smoke, never taking his eyes off her.
"If I answer your questions, will it get your magazine off my back?" he asked with an aggravated sigh.
"Yes sir." she said, hesitantly. She cleared her throat, the tip of her pen hovering just over the page. "Well, here goes: being the president of one of the most prestigious insurance corporations, you must have had an interesting childhood. Any youthful ambitions, past adventures, adolescent crushes?"
The man took in another drag of his cigarette, gazing out the window to his right. He exhaled slowly, sending a thread of smoke toward the ceiling.
"Her name was Alicia Barnes." he said, his focus unwavering. The woman began to write. "She and I were the best of friends. We were like siblings .She was gorgeous. Long, silky, caramel colored hair, and the most amazing green eyes. Almost like emeralds, only they seemed to shine a little more brightly.
"Anyway, we were closer than anything. We did almost everything together, inseparable since the age of five. We went to the same schools, liked the same things, and listened to the same music. I felt like I didn't need anyone else.
"When I was 18, she was 17, I was in my senior year, and she was in her junior year. It was a typical day and we went to my house after school. My parents were home, and hers were there too. We asked them what they were doing, and they said they had some news for us.
"They told us they had everything planned, everything decided for us. We were to be wed that very summer. I was shocked. My shock changed to excitement when I thought about it. I mean, I did like her a lot. My excitement turned to confusion when I noticed Alicia's expression.”
He paused, taking another pull from his cigarette. Once again, he let the smoke slip between his lips and watched it rise into the ceiling. He looked back at her.
"She looked devastated." he said, his gruff tone rising slightly. "Her eyes were wet and she looked on the verge of a nervous breakdown.’How can you do this!!??' she yelled. I watched her turn and run out the door. I followed her, out of instinct. I mean, she was my best friend. She ran along the sidewalk, then into the middle of the street. Our street was never busy, we did it all the time.
"She suddenly stopped running, falling to her knees on the solid lines painted in the road. I ran up to her, kneeling down in front of her. I hugged her, and asked her what was wrong. She explained to me.
"She said, 'I can't go through with this! I can't!' Her eyes were full of tears. 'What do you mean?' I asked her. She replied, 'I'm sorry Oliver. I know, you've been my best friend for forever, and I said we'd be together for eternity, but I just can't do this. I just don't love you that way.' She shrugged me off, running down the street. I can still remember the sound of her crying as she ran, clear as day. I knew she was running home, but I was too numb to follow. Her words put me in an ice solid state. I couldn't feel my body, couldn't hear the car horns honking at me or the screams of angry drivers.
"I finally got up, my ears slowly adjusting to the noises. I walked back home, my head was completely empty. When I got home, I didn't even bother answering my parents' questions. I went straight to my bedroom and collapsed onto my bed. I had never felt that kind of pain before.”
He stopped again to take another couple puffs from his cigarette. The woman sat, scribbling little doodles into the margin of her page. The man squished his cigarette into the ash tray before continuing.
"She ran away from home. Left that night, I guess. Her car was gone, so were her clothes. She just left, without a trace. Didn't tell anyone where she was going. Haven't heard from her since. But if she hadn't left, I probably would've told her I loved her." He shook his head. "It's 25 years later, I'm 43, and she's out of my life. A thing of the past."
"I think I have everything I need." the woman said, standing up. "Thank you." She stepped out the door, the bell ringing as the door closed behind her. She stood by the street, waving for a taxi. When one finally rolled up, she slid into the back.
"Where to?" The driver asked.
"Just take me down town." She said. She took her cell phone out of her pocket, flipping it open and quickly dialing the number. It rang once before someone picked up.
"Johnson here," a man's deep voice said from the other line.
"Boss, it's me. I got the interview," she replied.
"Alright," Johnson said. "Great job."
"Thank you sir."
"Hey, are you alright Alicia? You sound a little choked up. Everything turn out ok?"
"Yes, everything turned out just fine," she replied, clearing her throat and blotting her eyes with her jacket sleeve. The cab drove off as the sun was hidden behind the clouds.

© Copyright 2007 Total_Writer (animewriter35 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1361967-Unwanted-Memory