*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1362608-Story-of-2-Friends
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #1362608
2 friends learn the truth about friendship.
Two friends, Matt and Mike, are traveling together. During their travels they are to cross the desert. A couple of days in, Matt says, "I think we should go this way."

Mike replied, "No, this way." The argument continued until they were yelling at each other. Mike got fed up with it and punched Matt in the jaw.

Matt rubbed his jaw, just sore from the punch, and knelt down to the sand and wrote in the sand, "Today my friend hit me." He got up and continued along with Mike.

The next day, Matt got stuck in some quicksand. He called for Mike to help him and he lifted him to safety. Matt turned, found a stone, and wrote upon it. It said, "Today my friend saved my life."

Mike was confused. He thought, Why did he write one in the sand and one in a rock? He asked Matt, "Why did you do that? I mean, write one in the sand and one on the rock?"

Matt turned, his eyes full of solemn joy, and a smile on his face. He said, "When a friend hurts you, you write it in the sand where the wind will blow it away over time. When a friend saves you, you write it in stone where time can never change it."
© Copyright 2007 Valyrin (fafnir at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1362608-Story-of-2-Friends