*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1362751-Chapter-3-Family-Ties
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1362751
Josaline is mad that her parents are getting a divorce.
“DING! DONG!” the doorbell rang. Josaline running to the door, “I’ll get it.”
Josaline opens the door and sees that it’s the mailman. He gives her the mail and leaves. “Who was it?” asked Mrs. Colon who was in the kitchen washing the dishes. Jasoline said from the living room, “The mailman. Where do you want me to put the mail?”
“Put it in the coffee table,” replied Mrs. Colon. Josaline looks through the mail and check which hers and puts it down. Then she sits down and reads her book. Mrs. Colon enters the living room and checks the mail. She throws some out and then opens one. She takes out a pen a writes something down. 5-year-old Jazmin starts crying and Mrs. Colon puts the pen down and goes to Jazmin’s room. Joslaine stands up and looks at the mail that her mother opened and reads it. The top says, “DIVORCE.”
Soon Josaline starts to feel worried. “Are mom and dad getting a divorce?” Josaline asks herself. She feels footsteps and runs to bathroom. Mrs. Colon comes and holding Jazmin’s hands and sits her at the table and gives her food. Jazmin eats and Mrs. Colon goes into the living. “Riiiing! Riiing!” the phone rings and Mrs. Colon picks it up and says, “Hello? Who’s this?”
“Jose. Did the paper’s come in?” asked the voice in the phone.
Mrs. Colon replied, “ Yes, it came in this morning.”
“Ok. Did Henry call you yesterday? Because he called me,” asked Mr. Colon. Mrs. Colon said, “Yes, he called.”
“Um. Janet? Are you going to tell the kids?” asked Mr. Colon. Mrs. Colon replied, “There going to find out anyways. If they ask, I can’t tell them a lie saying that you’re in a conference at work. They’re going to ask me everyday that why aren’t you coming home. So, I have to tell them.”
“Ok,” replied Mr. Colon. Mrs. Colon hangs up the phone and turns around and sees Josaline and asks, “How long were you standing there?”
“Mom?” said Josaline sitting down. Mr. Colon walks toward Josaline and said, “You heard right?”
“Why?” ask Josaline. Mrs. Colon gulps and says, “Look, your father and I fought for many years about his traveling and he doesn’t even come and spend time with us.”
“But, why?” asked Josaline again. Mrs. Colon replies, “Your father and I decided that we didn’t want to speak or see each other anymore. He’s always traveling…”
“Why can’t you just be happy that he’s a journalist, mom? Who cares if he travels a lot, that’s his job,” interrupted Josaline getting up. Mrs. Colon explains, “Josaline your father’s traveling is driving me crazy. I’m the one who does the suffering. Paying for the bills, wasting money on clothes and food for you guys. And do you think he gives money for me to give things. I waste my money on you guys. I don’t even get to eat on mornings like I used to. And besides Jazmin can’t go through this. She doesn’t even know who her father is. How is she even going to know if he’s always someplace else.”
“Is it that is all about, because of Jazmin? Ever since she came all you guys do is argue and everything is getting ruined because of her,” said Josaline getting furious. Mrs. Colon got up from her seat and said, “Oh, so now your blaming this on your sister. She’s not the problem, your father is! I know you love him, but I’m sick and tired of putting up with his problems!”
“It isn’t fair!” Josaline yells. Mrs. Colon pointing a finger at her and said, “Look, Josaline, life is never fair. I didn’t even want to start this argument. I thought it would be easier for us.”
“Easier for us? It’s easier for you!” yells Josaline running to her room and slamming the door. Jason and Justin come to the living room and see their mother crying. Jason walks up to her and says, “What’s wrong mom? We heard you guys arguing.”
“Sorry, guys,” said Mrs. Colon wiping her tears. Justin sits next to her and asks, “Is it true what you said?”
“Yes,” Mrs. Colon replies. Jason and Justin hug their mother and the three start crying. Trying to forget about the argument Mrs. Colon hugs her kids.
© Copyright 2007 WriterJay89 (jvgurl89 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1362751-Chapter-3-Family-Ties