*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1362838-Best-friends-forever
Rated: · Short Story · Emotional · #1362838
This is simply a true story of two paths crossing.
Best friend - Secrets, honesty, trust, love, life.

The room lit-up with a bluish glow and the soft murmur of my phone rattled on my table. It must have been urgent for someone to call at this hour. I force myself to roll over and see that it’s Callum calling. I answer with a grown.
‘Oh, sorry. Did I wake you?’
‘At this hour you’d wake anyone.’
‘But it’s only 11’
‘On a school night’ I exclaimed. It was normally me to call him at this hour. There’d be something wrong. But just hearing his voice would make me not want to tell him. It’d make me wish I’d never let it ring 4 times.
‘What’s wrong hun?’ I asked, knowing is it was something bad he’d tell me right away. Unlike me.
‘Something bad has happened…’


I asked mum if I could have my phone back. She softly kissed me on the head and told me she just didn’t want to see me upset. She found me crying on the phone and took it off me. Probably wasn’t the best idea. She handed me the phone, turned off.
‘Who’s Callum?’ she asked, interested.
‘My best friend. He’s almost like a big brother. Why?’
‘He called a few times. About 4. I told him you’d send him a message when you got your phone back.’
‘Thanks.’ Most of what I told her was true. He was my best friend. But the brother bit? Yeah, I called him my big brother. He was always there. But I think it was more. I think I was jealous of his girlfriend. But that’s a SECRET to everyone.


‘…Nikki, I think I’m in love with you…’
My jaw dropped. I felt numb. My heart stopped beating. And all the stars stood still for that moment.
I managed to gather a few letters and force them out of my mouth, ‘What?’
‘Nikki, I LOVE you.’ It had been six weeks since him and Bec broke up. And only three hours since he’s finished telling me about Kelly, this girl he liked.
I still couldn’t breathe. He told me to say something.
‘I…I…What about Kelly?’
‘I told you I liked her to hide my true feelings. Cause honestly Nikki, I’ve loved you since we met.’
I replayed the first conversation we’d ever had in my mind.
Callum says:
Who the hell is this?
Nikki says:
I’m Nikki. You added me?
Callum says:
Wtf. No I didn’t
Nikki says:
That’s what is said when I signed in.
Callum says:
Oh, pfft
Nikki says:
Well sorry
Callum:
Its ok. You on the piss?
Nikki says:
No, are you?
Callum says:
Yep. Sorry if I say anything mean
Nikki says:
Nah its ok. I’m just a little mad at the moment. Friend issues. Sorry.
Callum says:
Its all good.
Nikki says:
Lets start again. Hi, I’m Nikki.
Callum says:
I’m Callum…. I think?
Nikki says:
You think?
Callum says:
OH SHIT! I just spilt my beer.
Nikki says:
Ha ha.
Callum says:
Well, I’m gonna go now. It takes to much effort to type. Bye
Nikki says:
Alright. Bye.
I doubted he could remember that so I replayed the second one.
Callum says:
Who’s this?
Nikki says:
I’m Nikki, we were talking last night. You were pissed.
Callum says:
Oh. Sorry I can’t remember.
Nikki says:
Nah its ok.
Callum says:
So how are you?
Nikki says:
Pretty sick at the moment. Took today off school. Yourself?
Callum says:
That’s no good. I’m alright. You party much?
Nikki says:
Nah. I’m only 14 so I figure I have a few more years left to get into it.
Callum says:
Yeah true. I’m 16 so I’m just getting into it now.
Nikki says:
Awesome. Where you live?
Callum says:
Tassie. It’s a hole. You?
Nikki says:
Don’t say that. I’m in Melbourne.
Callum says:
Awesome. My sister lives there.
Nikki says:
That’s awesome. Where about?
Callum says:
About five minutes from the city.
Nikki says:
So when you coming up here next?
Callum says:
Umm… June I think.
Nikki says:
Well I’ll have to show you all the awesome spots next time you come up.
Callum says:
I’d like that 
Nikki says:
Same =]
‘Callum, truth is. I’ve been jealous of Bec all along.’
I could feel him and I think he could feel mine as well.


‘Do you know this song?’ I put the earphone to the phone. The music is blasting around the room, yet he can only just hear it. He starts to sing and a soft smile lights my face.
‘Consider this song a testament. My devotion to your SECRET scent. And to be completely HONEST, your not like all the rest.’ We both sung in unison. I bring the earphone down from the phone.
‘But it’s true…’
‘What do you mean it’s true?’ I was scared as to what he was about to say.
‘Your not like all the rest.’ With those six small words, thoughts fill my head to quickly for me to just run with one.
‘What do you mean?’
‘Your different Nikki. You’re not like any of the other girls I’ve ever known. All of them can’t match up to you.’ I could tell in voice that he was being the honest man he is.
‘Callum, what are you saying?’
‘Nikki, you always talk about meeting Mr. Right. And I think what I’m saying is, I wanna be him.’


Tears are pouring down my face and onto my pillow. My soft sobs and sniffs were the only noise that filled the room. I quickly dialed the only number I could remember.
‘Yellow.’ A happy voice answers.
‘Callum..’ I say crying.
‘Nikki, what happened?’ I know he wont take any of the ‘I’m fine’ bullshit. So I told him.
‘I left him. He said goodbye forever.’ I spoke of Mike. We’d been going out for not long but I really TRUSTED him.
‘It’s alright darling. He wasn’t worth it.’ He told me with comfort.
‘He was my best friend. I need him.’ I sob into the phone.
‘If it makes you feel any better, I consider you my best friend.’
I asked about his girlfriend, Bec.
‘Well, were having issues. I think I’m gonna break up with her tomorrow.’
I’m not sure why, but I then smiled for the first time that night.


‘What do you mean something bad has happened?’ I was awake now. There was a long pause before I broke it.
‘Callum, what’s happened?’
‘I’m so sorry. I still love her.’
‘Bec’
‘I’m sorry’
‘Your going out again’
‘I love her’
‘Honey, that’s not a bad thing. That’s great!’ I said with a fake smile and fake happiness.
‘But… you?’
‘Pft, you love her.’
‘I’m sorry.’
‘You have nothing to be sorry about hun. That’s awesome!’ I felt him give a warm smile. Then thank me.

‘Hello, is that Callum?’
‘It is, who’s talking?’
‘Your friends with Nicole?’
‘Nikki, yeah. Why?’
‘I’m her mother. Do you think you could get to St. Georges hospital in the next few days?’
‘I’ll be there tomorrow’
They both hung up the phone.

‘Callum, what do you this the most peaceful way to die is?’
‘Why? Your not going anywhere are you?’ I could tell he was getting worried.
‘No, I’m not.’ I told him convincingly.
‘Oh, ok. Umm…probably by pills. That was there’s no pain.’
‘Hmm… if I was to choose a way to die, I’d jump off a cliff with the guy I love.’
‘Ooo, who’s that?’ he teased.
‘Oh, Heh, no-one.’ I lied. I could never tell him that it was him I thought about each night when I closed my eyes at night. But it was only friends, and I wanted to keep it like that.





‘Aww, that sounds like the perfect date.’ I hinted.
‘Yeah, she looked beautiful is the moonlight.’ I could barely stand anymore of about their perfect weekend together. I wanted to hang up and never talk to him again. But a stupid little voice in my head stopped me.
‘Yeah, are you ok?’ He could tell I wasn’t.
‘Yeah, I’m fine.’ I lied. I hated everything. I wanted to burst into tears and tell him everything. But I didn’t. I held it in like the other million other times I’d done it.
‘Well I better go.’
‘Alright.’ We both said goodnight to each other. Just as he was about to hang up, I whispered for him not to go. Again, he didn’t hear me. And another night was ended with him saying I love you.


‘Nikki..’ he said panting when he saw me in the hospital bed. He burst into tears.
‘I’m sorry I never told you.’
‘What is it?’
‘My liver is failing. If they don’t find a donor in 24 hours I’m going to die.’ Tears leaked out of my eyes and I could barely talk anymore.
‘Your to beautiful to die… people like you don’t die!’
‘We all die honey. And if it’s my turn then that’s ok.’
‘NO!!’ he shouted. He as mad. He was upset. I looked him in the eye and apologized once again. He looked me in the eye as well and told me he loved me. He meant it by his eyes. He then ran out of the room. I screamed for him to come back, while everything went black.

Welcome back to A Current Affair. Now we come to the touching story of Nicole Fitzgibbon. A girl only 15 years old who had a failing liver. Callum Harper, was her best friend. They lived in different states. Callum went over to see Nicole just before her liver failed. In his finale attempt to save her, he went out and crashed his car into a tree only two blocks from the hospital she was in. Although he was brain dead, their blood types were different and neither could be saved. In Callum’s hand was a note that said - I’ll be her best friend. I’ll be HER LIFE SUPPORT!



Best friend - Secrets, honesty, trust, love, life.
© Copyright 2007 writing to freedom (sleep-dream at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1362838-Best-friends-forever