*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1363104-Held--Chapter-Three
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Adult · #1363104
Cinderella? Not likely. However perception is everything.A D/s relationship unfolds
"Held ~ Chapter Two


HELD ~ Chapter Three

         Kara struggled to balance the dead weight of a sleeping five year old on her hip as she pulled Nick's backpack and her purse from the back seat of the Monte Carlo. A roll of thunder and the first couple drops of rain lent a bit of urgency to her movements. Bumping the car door shut with the other hip, she clutched her keys and hurried for the faded blue door of the Budget Inn Motel. Hitching Nick a bit higher, she leaned him against the door as she fumbled for the correct key. Her heart sank as her gaze fell on the recently installed padlock.

Closing her eyes, Kara let her forehead fall hopelessly against the door a couple times in frustration and then rest there as she tried to figure out what to do. She had pretty much severed ties with her mother at fourteen...she would not be welcome there. Nick's sperm donor hadn't paid support in over four months now and would be no help. Rae Rae and Vincent were all the "family" she had and they already did so much for her, watching Nick after school until she got home from work. She knew that Rae would roll out the welcome mat in a heartbeat; however she remembered the look in Vincent's eyes as he had looped a thick finger through the ring on Rae's collar, pulling her towards the bedroom as they were leaving. Kara shivered. Finally taking a deep breath, she straightened and headed for the office.



"You are two weeks behind and today starts week three. Three hundred dollars or hit the road, honey." 

Unshed tears burned as Kara stared at the resolute manager, mentally counting the tips hidden in her boot and the paltry amount in her purse.
 
The manager eyeballed her with a knowing leer...waiting for the girl to realize what a roof over her and the brat's head was really worth to her.

"If I can come up with the two hundred I owe you, will you give me a couple days to..." Kara's voice trailed off as the portly man shook his head.

"Two hundred gets you your shit back," he said, coldly hitching his thumb at the pitifully small pile of belongings behind the counter. "Unless you want to make other arrangements..." Kara trembled with a combination of fear and rage at the unspoken offer, his previous lewd propositions ringing unbidden in her ears. Tears started to roll down her cheeks as she stared at the Indianapolis Colts football that topped the measly pile. The ball had been a Christmas gift from Rae and Vincent, personally autographed by Peyton Manning to Nick, it was her boys pride and joy. Choking back a sob, she gently laid the still sleeping boy down in a cheap vinyl armchair and sat down on the floor of the office, taking off her boot.

Kara's fingers trembled as she tried to unfold the dog-eared bills, a couple fluttering to the worn carpet between her knees. A knot formed in her throat...a hundred and twenty seven...she picked up the strays from the floor, Ean's change...a hundred and thirty six...and the crisply folded ten dollar bill he had tucked away for her at the table...smoothing the bill in her hands, her heart stilled as she stared at a hundred dollar bill in disbelief. Fresh tears spilled and she swallowed hard. It had to be a mistake. As generous as Ean was, he surely hadn't meant to...she shook her head. She couldn't afford to question right now. She would make it right with Ean another time. For now...Nick was all that mattered.




         The late model Monte Carlo catching his eye, Ean instinctively turned into the shopping center. Wheeling the rental car through the nearly vacant parking lot, he glanced at his watch. A dark brow arched questioningly at the still early AM hour. What would bring his pretty little pixie out again only hours after they had parted? Pulling up alongside her car he killed the headlights, leaving the car idling to ward off the bitter October winds as he settled in to find out.

         His sharp cerulean gaze fixed on the well-lit Wal-Mart entrance; he idly examined his unexpected attraction to the childlike waif. Her fresh-faced naivety and shy submissive nature lent her a femininity seemingly lost in the ball breaking socialites of his circle. Nearing forty-five, he knew many a match making mama had given up hope he would settle down, his own included. What they all failed to understand was he would never settle for one of the chilly pedigreed beauties that had graced his arm at society functions for years. As chauvinistic as many found it these days...Ean wanted a woman that knew her place and felt honored to be put in it.

         Turning his head against the intrusive glare of approaching headlights, Ean's eyes narrowed at a shadowy movement in the Monte Carlos back seat. Apprehension settled cold in the pit of his stomach as he silently opened his car door. He stole around the rear of the rental, ruthlessly banishing visions of his petite beauty broken at the feet of another. His fist clenched reflexively as he neared the other car. Leaning forward to get a look, he felt as if the air had been driven from his lungs. He stared for a long moment...disbelief warring with fact. Cocooned in a blue and white Indianapolis Colts sleeping bag a small towhead blonde slept peacefully, Kara curled protectively around him.

As Ean watched, Kara stirred restlessly in her sleep, her forehead creasing in worry, lips parting. She must have whimpered though the sound did not carry beyond the car, for the little boy snuggled closer to her, his pug nose burrowing comfortingly into the crease between her neck and shoulder. The tension left her.  An invisible fist clenched in Ean's chest and he forced himself to turn away. He had searched for years for...that type of...raw devotion. Just seeing them together, he instinctively knew Kara would do anything...sacrifice all...move heaven and earth...kill...for her child.  Love that strong was foreign to Ean, and yet something he ached for.

Rubbing a hand over his weary features, Ean ground his teeth against the old pain and surveyed the dark parking lot. A stockman collecting carts moved closer, his interest in the old Monte Carlo seeming unwarranted and predatory. A patrol car tooling through slowed...drawing both their attention. Forcing casualness he didn't feel, Ean leaned back against the rental and nodded to the rubber necking officer. A sudden mental onslaught was like a kick in the gut...the angelic blonde boy locked in the back of the squad car...teary face pressed to the glass...Kara clutching franticly at the departing car...before falling to the pavement in a broken heap. The officer turned his attention to the suddenly industrious stockman and Ean took a deep breath of the bracing night air. The image of Kara's anguish stayed with him. Slowly, he pushed off the car. He wasn't going to allow that type of devotion to die.


Kara was jolted from sleep by the authoritative knock on the car window. Her heart in her throat she eased her sleeping son from her and scrambled into the front seat. Raking a hand through her tousled hair, she took a deep breath and rolled down the fogged window.

"Get out of the car. We need to talk." 
 
Ean's voice washed over her in relief yet his words twisted in her stomach. Glancing back at Nick to assure he was still asleep, she fumbled for the door handle. Stepping out of the car on shaky legs, Kara patted the front pocket on her jeans instinctively to make sure she had her keys before locking her son securely in the car. Turning uncertainly to Ean, she hugged herself, huddling against the night chill and her lingering fear.

Taking her elbow in a firm grip, Ean steered the shivering waif to the still running rental and opened the door for her. Kara hesitated, turning toward her car again.

"We are just going to talk, Kara. I would not put your child in jeopardy," Ean said softly, reining in his impatience and biting back any number of caustic remarks that sprang to mind.

Craning her slender neck one last time, undoubtedly to glimpse her sleeping son, Kara slipped into the car. Closing the door, Ean walked around to the driver's side and slid in. Turning the heat up a bit, he waited in silence. 
 
"It was just for tonight until I figured out something else," she whispered, her voice small in the heavy silence.

"And if it had been that officer that knocked on your window...where would your son be?" Ean asked, not looking at her.

Kara's gaze followed his to the marked police cruiser and she paled further, freckles standing out starkly.

Long moments passed as he let the reality of her situation sink in for both of them.

"Where is his father?"

Kara flinched at the question and shrugged, hugging herself tighter.

"He stopped by about four...five months ago because Vincent rattled his chain. He dropped off a bit of cash but it wasn't worth it," she mumbled.

"What happened?"

"I would rather not talk about it."

"That wasn't an option."

Kara turned to look out the passenger window. When she spoke her voice was so low he could barely make it out.
"He smacked me around and ra..." she paused and swallowed hard, giving her head a sharp shake. "...made sure I earned every cent."

"Did you..." his words trailed off as she shook her head firmly.

"Vincent would kill him. Rae almost lost him once to the law because of me. I won't let that happen again,"  she hunched her gaunt shoulders, half turning away as tears started to flow. Her forehead rested against the cool glass, shimmering jade orbs staring at nothing, lost in both her past and future.

Briefly Ean let his mind wander to the few hours since they had parted yet didn't ask. The details wouldn't change the end result. Moments ticked by without a word. Not immune to her despair, he warred within. Despite, or maybe as a result of, her difficult life Kara was kaleidoscope of strength, vulnerability, world-weariness and naivety. Obviously she was in need of guidance...of a strong hand. The primitive male inside him demanded he care for her, protect her...make her HIS. It was for her own good.

"You can not go on like this, Kara. Your life is out of control. If things do not change...you are going to lose your son," Ean said firmly.

Her head whipped around at the finality of his words. Her petite features twisted in anguish, lips mutely mouthing a pleading...nooooo...as her hands unconsciously reached out in entreaty.

"Our plane leaves in..." Ean glanced at his watch "...less than two hours. Your place is with me now."

Kara drew back, confusion rampant in every line of her body. Her fingers scrabbled blindly for the door handle as her wide gaze shot back to her sleeping child. Her head whipped around and fury shone from her wild emerald orbs as Ean reached out and laid a restraining hand on her arm. Jesus, but she was beautiful.

"Kara," he said, putting just enough snap in his voice to grab her attention before softening it slightly again.

"I do not want to see you separated from your child, however that is exactly what is going to happen if you do not listen to me. I can provide you both a stable life...a life you have only ever dreamed of."

"We barely know one another...why..." her voice trailed off but her guileless eyes pleaded for understanding...for salvation.
Ean's lips curved in a rueful smile. His voice was husky when he spoke.

"The answer is as old as time, little one...I want you.

"Held ~ Chapter Four
© Copyright 2007 Mara ♣ McBain (irish_hussy69 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1363104-Held--Chapter-Three