*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1363770-Beneath-the-Tree
by Justyn
Rated: E · Prose · Family · #1363770
A touching family memory that becomes a new tradition
That night we sat, we three. You and me and she. Our loyal pet made four, there beneath the tree. Each ornament danced on its branch, lovingly placed by gentle hands. Strings of lights twindled through the green, illuminating the room where candles did not reach. Strains of a familiar chorus softened the night. A brunette angel sat regally in her place of honor, spreading light across the tree. And so we sat...with no agenda, nothing planned, no schedule to keep. There was nothing to keep us there, beneath that tree. Surely, we had other things to do. Packages to wrap, maybe, to take up their residence under its branches. Perhaps dishes to wash and clothes to fold, to keep up with a busy family. Possibly phone calls to make, to stay in touch or to make new plans. Homework awaited, of course, but its call was easy to resist. But no, these things were not to be on this night. Our world shrank, closed up tight around us, 'till there was nothing but the room we sat in. She laughed and played, the sound sweet melody to our ears. You and I, we shared a look of adoration for this child we created together. We couldn't resist the lilting music, and joined our voices with those recorded ones...your deeper voice, my untrained alto, and her beautiful pure child's voice. The three of us, harmonizing together under our Christmas tree, were not aware of anything outside the glow of our angel. We were connected, all of us wanting and needing to be close to another. My leg draped across yours, while your hand rested on the warm nape of the black Lab. I rubbed the back of our child, while she stretched between the two of us, each of us relaxed and content. There was no urgency to leave, no rushing around to accomplish more. No, just the simple, wonderful pleasure of just enjoying each other. My heart swelled and tears pricked my eyes as I sat there, watching her, touching you. How blessed I felt, that night and every night, as I thanked God for the two of you. You are my special blessings, you and she. You are the lights in my life. And EVERY day of my life is made richer with you two in it. And that night, beneath the tree, as our voices joined and nothing in the world mattered save the four of us together, in that moment my world was perfect. And so we sat, we three, beneath the tree. You and me and she. And he made four.
© Copyright 2007 Justyn (kjsleah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1363770-Beneath-the-Tree