*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1364157-Night-Time-Diaries
by Nicky
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Entertainment · #1364157
Story focused around the love life a a 24 year old named Gerri
    Reaching across the table, I grabbed the matches to relight my half smoked cigarette. I could sense that I intimidated the man across the table and as the bell rang, he hopped up without saying goodbye. I am a 24 year old 5'9" voluptuous beauty with hazel eyes, straight brown hair, and caramel skin. Graduated from Princeton head of my class with a Business degree and already run my own business. I enjoyed reciting my accomplishments and life story in less than two minutes about 20 times every Saturday night, and have become quite good at it. It was speed dating at Romeo's, a dimly lit cafe in the heart of Miami, where I have spent most of my Saturdays for the last four months. Where the women wore cocktail dresses and nametags and the men came dressed like knockoff Gucci models. I was here looking for the same thing as everyone else. Love, lust, companionship, or whatever the sultry atmosphere provided that week. I broke off from deep thought as a flame appeared before my eyes and diverted my attention.

"Your cigarette went out" He said.
Letting the flame relight my cigarette I stared at dater #17 as he sat down across the table.

"Hey, Gerri my name is Adam" he said as he reached over the ash tray to shake my hand. By looking at him I could tell he was about 6'2". With dark green eyes and a smile complete with perfect dimples I was almost struck speechless by his handsomeness. We sat for the next 7 minutes laughing over the seemingly harmless coincidence that we both went through Princeton with some of the same quirky professors and never managed to meet.
"So what brings you all the way to Miami?" I asked him after finally deciding to put my un smoked cigarette out

"Well definitely the beautiful women, mainly the one I’m sitting across from," He said smiling as he touched my hand lightly,” but more importantly my job."

"Oh really, well what’s your job?" I asked

"Well currently I--" he said just as the bell rang and signaled everyone to move to the right. "Maybe we can continue this conversation later. Like maybe over the phone." he continued saying as he moved closer to me so I could hear him over the noise of people switching tables and exchanging numbers. Without thinking the first thing that came out of my mouth was my phone number. I slapped a hand over her mouth in embarrassment. I had never been so quick, or eager for that matter, to give my number to another speed dater. As they locked eyes Adam chuckled and nodded. He wrote my number on his card while I shuffled through my bag for another cigarette. I sat up and watched him walk over to the next table. When he turned back towards me to wave, I caught a glimpse of his daters’ card and realized it was full. Not wanting to be rude I returned the smile and wave before turning to face #18 of the night
    To say the least, the last three daters were less than interesting and none could hold my interest long enough to continue a conversation. I had a stranger named Adam on the brain, and although I knew that by the look of his daters’ card I probably wouldn't be getting a call, I still couldn't stop thinking about his dark green eyes. As final bell rang someone came over the microphone stating the usual Saturday night monologue.
    The person on the microphone said, “Have a nice night, and be sure to drive home safely. Please everyone feel free to use the club phone to call a friend or a cab if you have been drinking tonight. Also, always remember to use protection.” I chuckled at the last statement while it reminded me of 10th grade health class where they pass out condoms and pamphlets and wonder why half the girls still end up pregnant. While people were leaving, some alone, some in pairs, and some even in groups, I tried to stand tall and scan the room, looking for a last glimpse of Adam.
        Feeling slightly disappointed I grabbed my coat and purse, gave the room one last look and left. Stepping outside in the humid air, I took off my heels and whistled loudly to hail a cab. I spent the entire ride home staring out the window attempting to convince myself that maybe, just maybe leaving the whole dating scene alone for a while would be best. Finally arriving my apartment building I got out, paid the driver, greeted the doorman Hal on my way in, and took the elevator to the 10th floor. I opened my apartment door and made a beeline for my room, while throwing my coat and shoes towards the couch. I quickly threw on a tank top and shorts, tossed all the pillows off my bed, snuggled into my king size soft mattress, pushed the thought of Adam’s dark green eyes and perfect dimples out of my mind, and with in minutes was sound asleep.
      Ok I lied. Sleep did not come within minutes. In fact it didn't come for quiet some time. I tossed and turned, watched TV, listened to music, and tried just about anything else to distract myself from those dark green eyes. Nothing worked. How could a stranger I had known for only 10 minutes completely capture my mind this way. I roll over in bed and stared out my bedroom window to view the Miami skyline. Such a beautiful city with such beautiful people in it and yet I could not pull my focus away from one. I am hoping that maybe fate had me on her good side and I would either see Adam again for find a man way cuter than him.Finally through half open eyelids I sighed, relaxed and slowly drifted off to sleep.
(TO BE CONTINUED)
© Copyright 2007 Nicky (flybypen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1364157-Night-Time-Diaries