*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1364312-Guy-From-the-Department
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1364312
the story about a night closing up at the restaurant
It had been a fairly uneventful day for a Monday. The evening was drawing to a close. I was ready to close up and call it a night. There were only a few more customers left to finish eating. Everyone had already ordered their food. As I was prepping things for the next day, one man, who had eaten by himself, came upfront to pay. As I was ringing him up he asked me, "how are you able to get away with breaking the child labor laws"?
Caught completely off guard, and really have no idea what he was talking about, I confidently, stammered out an "I am sorry sir, what"?
He repeated his same question with an almost menacing grimace. I looked at him with a serious face, wondering if he was from some agency and was just trying to be an ass or some Joe shmoe who thought he was someone smart enough to pretend he was someone that could get me in trouble. As I started to respond I was going over everyone that was working or even had been working that night, even the youngest ones that worked there were still over 18, the vast majority of the employees were from the local colleges. I, trying to be as confident as possible, told him, "No one here is breaking any child labor laws". My adrenaline was really starting to get me going at this point. He still look very serious and did not seam to be buying my statement. As he pulled out his wallet to pay for his meal, I half expected him to flash some kind of a badge at me, but he did not. Instead, he said, "well girl, there is no way that you look like you are old enough to be working", with a huge grin on his face. All of that adrenaline just about turned against him. What an ass! What a lame way to try and hit on me. He was at lest twice my age! I tired to smile instead of rolling my eyes at him, but I was not sure how well I accomplish it. I tired to thank him as best as I could and make it look like I appreciated the "complement". I could not wait for the guy to walk out the door. He was oozing creepy everywhere. I tired to pretend that I was busy doing stuff behind the counter as I waited for him to gather his things and walk out the door. As soon as he was gone and he was safely out of range, I, despite a few customers remaining, I asked one of my co-workers that I was good friends with, if she had heard that, as I rolled my eyes at his general demeanor to try and cleans myself. "How lame", I said, to her, as I shuddered, just before the two of us disappeared for minute into the back to confirm between each other how lame that really was.
© Copyright 2007 archangel (archangel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1364312-Guy-From-the-Department