*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1364957-All-We-Need
Rated: E · Short Story · Holiday · #1364957
A Christmas Story
         One Christmas Eve many years ago, we went to church to sing carols and pray.  When we arrived home, there was no wreath on the door. In the living room there was no tree. On the bookshelf, were we hung our stockings last year, there were none.

         Mom and Dad had prepared us since Thanksgiving, “There will be no Christmas this year.” Mom had been working two jobs since July and was barely making the bills.

         I went to bed that night knowing for my family tomorrow was just an ordinary day. All my friends would have Christmas, and get all the toys and games they wanted. I cried myself to sleep.


         Just after midnight, I woke up. I heard a noise from down stairs in the living room. I went down the stairs and saw something I was sure I would never see, it was a man in a red suit.

         “No cookies this year ?” He said pointing his mittened hand to the coffee table where every year,  Till this year, I left them for Santa. He winked at me to let me know he was not upset.

         “No tree either?” he said

         “No, Mother said we we’re not having Christmas this year because she doesn’t have any money for new toys and things you need to have Christmas.” I said to him

         “No money for the things you need to have Christmas?” He held out his hand to me “Come with me.”

         I took his hand and the next thing I knew I was on the roof of my house. Santa picked me up and put me in his sleigh.

         He opened a thermos and poured a cup of hot chocolate. he placed a candy cane in the cup and handed it to me. “Here this will keep you warm.”

         He cracked his whip and the reindeer took off running to the edge of the roof. We were flying.



         First we stopped at my friend Billy’s home.  Billy’s mother and father were in the living room.  Mr. Call was putting a new red bicycle together.

         I ducked behind Santa. “Don’t worry” Santa said “ they can’t see or hear us”

         “Billy said they don’t even have a tree,” said Mrs. Call

         “John has been sick since June, their medical bills must be pilling up,” said Mr. Call

         “Mary is working two jobs, the poor dear” Mrs. Call shook her head.

         Santa reached into his pocket and took out  something that looked like glitter.  He tossed it over Mr. And Mrs. Call. “This is a Christmas Blessing” Santa said “It will make their Christmas even merrier.”


         We flew to the city. Santa landed the sleigh and we walked into an alley. A man was sleeping with his head resting on a garbage can Santa took a coat out of his sack and placed it on the man with out waking him. Pinned on the coat was a flyer, to let the man know that the mission, just a block away, would give him a hot Christmas dinner.


         We flew over the ocean.  It was just a short time but we flew a long distance. We were in a desert.  There was a two soldiers next to a truck. 

         “What I miss most is the eggnog, my dad makes, nice and strong!” one soldier said

         “We open our gifts on Christmas Eve.”  said the other man        “Every year mom knits me a sweater.” He turned around pointing his rifle “I thought I heard something!”

         Santa tossed some of the glitter over the soldiers. “Being far from home a Christmas blessing of their love ones thoughts and prayers is needed.” Santa said to me



         We went back to the sleigh this time we landed on a hospital.    We were in a room, there were three people there sitting closed to each other a young girl holding her mother’s hand and a boy about my age sitting there I could tell he had been crying.  A doctor walked over to them “He will be just fine, he’s resting now you can see him in the morning I suggest you go home and get some rest.”  The doctor said to them.

“Thank you doctor” the mother said smiling for the first time all night “Merry Christmas” she added taking the doctors hand.

         He took my hand again and we were in a big room lined with beds, in the beds there were children sleeping. The first thing I noticed was most of them had no hair. I asked Santa why, and he said in a sad voice “They have cancer.”

         I helped Santa place a teddy bear on each of the beds.

         As Santa placed the last bear on the last bed. The little girl woke up looked at Santa and whispered “Thank you.” She turned over hugging the bear and fell back to sleep.
         Santa took me back to the sleigh were I fell to sleep.



         The next thing I knew I was in my bed and it was morning. I went down stairs. In the living room there was a tree and a new red bicycle was next to it.  My sister was playing with a new doll.  Billy Call and his parents were sitting on the couch.

         “Merry Christmas!” They said to me at the same time.

         The Calls and my family celebrated Christmas together.    Mrs. Call and my mother cooked the  Christmas dinner.  Mr. Call played the piano and we sang Christmas carols.
 
         I will remember this Christmas for ever.  How blessed I am to have my father, mother, and sister.  As well as my friends.  We do indeed have everything we need to have Christmas, we have each other!

© Copyright 2007 TMeakim (tmeakim at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1364957-All-We-Need