*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1365035-Strange-Meetings
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1365035
Flash Fiction: Character is asked for a key
Tindo had never seen the sprawling trade city of Xanjipoor before, but the stories of its strangeness did not seem exaggerated. He arrived this autumn morning as a guard in a caravan, finishing a three week long journey from the coast of distant Partha. While the rest of the guards had lined up to get their silver, Tindo wandered off and began to transform himself from a dark haired warrior to a gray haired stooped musician in dirty clothes.

There was purpose to his movements as Tindo hid his sword and then eventually pulled a seven stringed lute out of his leather travel sack. He paused, looked around in confusion to made sure no one was following him then made his way to the opposite side of the city from where he had entered some hours before.

Two roads met with a fountain on one side, and the dirty musician found a space away from the traffic and settled down to play. He engaged passersby in quick conversations, asking for copper pennies in exchange for the music of their choice, but none accepted.

He watched the people go by, rich and poor: mostly humans, but also dwarves, gnomes, goblins, and some elves. As the sun approached the highest point of the day he continued to play and wait, play and wait.

"Sir, I need your key," came a voice from above him.

The words were in the common tongue, and so easily understood by Tindo, but he hesitated as he heard the code phrase, hearing something familiar. He looked up into empty hands, then a pair of green eyes.

"Have you tried the one in your hand?" he answered, also in code.

The green eyes were above a veil. She came closer, whispering, " At last, I expected you days ago."
© Copyright 2007 bluehats#5 (bluehats5 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1365035-Strange-Meetings