*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1365468-Truth-around-the-Fire
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1365468
Write a story that takes place near a bonfire.
"You said we couldn't talk before. It's time for answers. What is going on?" The questioner threw two more logs onto a growing fire on the sandy beach, then went back to sit in the dark next to a woman in a black full length robe.

The woman stood and surveyed the area in a full circle before sitting back down. The beach was on a large lake, the lantern lit city of Xanjipoor on their right. Hundreds of stars shared the sky with two moons, one large and argent but waxing on the horizon, the other, much smaller but a ruddy color and almost full.

A slow quiet tune began to come from the man's lute as he waited for a response. The fire crackled in competition with the strumming, but still the dark haired woman remained quiet.

"Names might be an easier place to start, I am known as Gormlin the Bard." The musician shifted to a quicker tune with an expectant air.

"My name is...", she began.

"Sastra. See that was easy." When he said the name he shifted back to a happier tune and looked up in time to see the shock on her face.

"Please, call me Mina, thats my name here. Never mention that other name. I can't believe Arakis told you my real name!"

"He trusted me to come and help you," the half lie came easily to Tindo/Gormlin, "so tell me why I am here." His suspicion that Sastra had not recognized him in his disguise was both reassuring and disappointing considering there former closeness.

"We need to place a book into a house. The Protectorate needs to eliminate this person."

"Tell me your plan." The lute became silent and only the roaring fire covered their whispers.
© Copyright 2007 bluehats#5 (bluehats5 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1365468-Truth-around-the-Fire