*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1368624-Happy-Birthday-to-You
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1368624
A girl spends her birthday alone, or not.
Happy birthday to me,
Happy birthday to me,
Happy birthday dear Bie Nga,
Happy birthday to me.

 
Bie Nga blew her small candle swiftly, right before it melted away. The room went dark and silent, except for the sparks of gunfire from afar. She reached for the stale bread on the plate and ate it slowly, savoring it. There was a scream, and then, ... nothing. Bie Nga froze. She scrambled under her rickety bed and continued munching the bread to the crumbs as though nothing had happened. Shooting occurred on daily basis, so she thought little of it. But not her birthday. Oh, no. Her birthday was only once a year. It was special. Today was even more special, because it's the first birthday she celebrated without her parents. Her first birthday alone.
 
Now, Bie Nga thought herself as a big girl. She was nine. Parents are for little girls, she said to herself. Little girls like Suu Li and Mei Nang, her friends at the orphanage. They, too, lost their parents to the same cause. Those bad military people with their guns killed a lot of parents. That was why little children had to spend their birthday alone and without a birthday cake.
Aunties who took care of them didn't have much money to throw a party. But the children didn't mind, because Aunties would give them extra bread and a candle.
 
A tap on the shoulder woke Bie Nga. Apparently, she fell asleep under the bed. She rubbed her eyes and moved sluggishly. She couldn't see clearly but she recognized the giggles. Suu Li and Mei Nang. She wondered why her friends weren't sleeping.
Two pairs of arms pulled Bie Nga from under the bed. The giggling was infectious as Bie Nga found herself laughing along.
 
Suu Li shoved a poorly wrapped package into Bie Nga's hands, beaming.
 
"A present for Big Sister," said Mei Nang, shyly.
 
As a warm familiar feeling seeped into her heart, Bie Nga thanked the two over and over again, then she tore the wrapping. A piece of soft and colorful cloth fell onto her lap. No, not a piece, but many pieces of cloth of different colors sewn together to make ....
 
"A blanket. Auntie Fong taught me how to sew it. Mei Nang gathered the material. Do you like it?" Suu Li looked a bit uncertain.
 
Bie Nga smiled and embraced her friends.
 
"Thank you very much. I love the present." Bie Nga said honestly.
 
After her parents' death, it was the first time Bie Nga felt happy. She loved her friends and was loved in return. It's alright having to celebrate her special day without her Mom and Dad. She had Suu Li and Mei Nang with her.
 
Suddenly, Bie Nga thought she was not so alone after all. She had friends who called her Big Sister. And she promised herself, she would always be there for them.
 
© Copyright 2007 Gabrielle Marle (charma13 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1368624-Happy-Birthday-to-You