*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1368907-Dear-me-comp-entry
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Contest · #1368907
A breif note to myself for the coming year.
Dear me,

         Yes, yes, I know. You’re writing this for a competition but ignore that for a moment. Think about why you write, be honest, it’s not really for praise is it? You do have a habit of showing your best work around, hoping that people will say nice things, but, if your honest it’s the story itself isn’t it? That feeling when you print out a new one.

         Are you being too arty? The work ethic you grew up with says that you should be doing something else, something, productive, but this is. I’m going to say that again because it’s important, this is “Being productive.” Tomorrow your words will still hang on the page, permanent, even after you’re gone.

         When you got sick did you just lay there? Hell no. So now that you have finished your first book what are you going to do? Leave it on a shelf so that future family members can read it, or do what you intended and get it published?
         The message that I want you to have in front of you every day is a simple one, “The only way to guarantee failure is not to try” you know this, now get it done.
         

         The second thing is simple, look at your writing from a couple of years back. Now look at the stuff you produce today. If you start to feel that you’re not good enough, think what it will be like in another year. Given enough time you might not be half bad.


         And finally, write every day. Since you were a school kid its all you ever wanted to do, this is your Everest each step takes you closer to your goal.


         Yours

         The positive side.

PS: Don’t listen to that other voice, the one that whispers about tired feet and how heavy the load. When did he ever get anywhere?


© Copyright 2008 Mike Day (mikeday at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1368907-Dear-me-comp-entry