*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1369019-Introduction-to-an-untitled-work
Rated: 18+ · Novella · Fantasy · #1369019
A man is alone in the world forced to relive the horrors of his life
By the time Dennis Meyer turned off the interstate his head was splitting, and his back had been twisted to the shape of the seat he had been sitting in for the past twelve hours. He had far from forgotten the events that took place on the very streets he was gliding over, the events that drove him to the brink of insanity. The events that eventually ended all ties to his family, friends and his home town. Letting his mind wander back and forth between images of his childhood and the road stretching in front of him, he failed to notice the red light, that seemed to scream to every one but him to stop. Being the only one who didn't hear this plea, he sped through the intersection crashing into a mini-van. As his car flipped he saw, for a brief moment, the faces of the children sitting in the back seat of his unintentional victim. The faces of children who knew they were condemed to death, although they had a very short time to think about it. The van flipped multiple times landing upside down and sparked in fire, killing the woman and children inside of it. Dennis's car, took the easy way out, careening into the very light that had warned it to stop. The car made it out okay, the same cannot be said for the driver.
Opening the door Dennis stumbled out onto the street falling to his knees, stareing out at the awe struck faces of the audience to his well written tragedy. His mouth was terribly dry, yet the rest of his body drenched in sweat, he found it odd how in seven seconds of panic the body could make such drastic changes. As his vision darkened his body became heavier and heavier, almost as if his entire life had caught up with him in this one moment of vulnerability, only to stradle his back weighing him down, rendering him motionless. Somewhere in his mind he knew he should have never come back, he had but one chance to leave and he had already taken it, and yet he returned. Only to be chained down to the retched place again, the city was alive, brought to life by the events that took place within its boundaries, the city wanted to keep Dennis, no matter the means.
In his last moments of conciousness he saw his mother running towards him, trying to protect him, a feat she had never succeded at. As she ran her face faded into that of his father, standing there with an outstretched hand, grasping at the neck of a little boy no longer there. With memories of the hell that was his childhood racing past his eyes, Dennis fell to the ground, mind as well as vision going black.
© Copyright 2008 eaglethn (eaglethn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1369019-Introduction-to-an-untitled-work