*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1370316-Chapter-nine
by Diana
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1370316
Jade gets attacked by a demon looking for a meal
Jade hugged Jaybriel,fighting tears.And wondering what plan was forming in Jaybriel's head.Jaybriel kissed Jade on the forehead and said,"Get some rest,".Just as he was turning to leave Jade noticed the shadows move.Jaybriel noticed too and shouted,"Touch her and I'll rip your throat out,".Instantly the movement ceased. "What was that?" asked Jade.Jaybriel snorted. "Don't worry about him.He makes himself look big,but you could've beaten him when you did your first spell," he said."We'll take care of him if he shows back up,". Jade was uncertain,but she goodnight and Jaybriel closed the door behind him as he left.

Jade looked around,trying to calm herself.Jaybriel's mountain,an unnatural thing he'd created, was home to rouge demons that Jaybriel never chased out.Unless they attacked her or tried to overthrow him.Normally no demons ever dared come near the door,but Jaybriel had been away for almost three month.Leaving Ed, a child in demon years, in charge.Jade hesiantly walked towards the bed,her footsteps echoing on the stone floor.Fire burned in the four torches around the room,but Jade didn't take any comfort in the light.When she reached the bed Jade yanked back the covers,hoping she wouldn't find the spoils of anyone's lunch.Taking a deep breath Jade began to search the sheets and mattress.

Satisfied that nothing was in the room,but her Jade reached into the crudely made dresser and got the brush Jaybriel kept for her.Using a small spell Jade cleaned the brush of anything that was on it before she brushed her hair back and braided it.Finally,having no excuse to stay up Jade lay down in the bed.Even as tired as she was Jade couldn't fall asleep.Staying with Jaybriel always did this to her.To calm her nerves Jade whispered a protection spell,and then made an attempt at sleeping.Just as she was Jade heard giggling in her ear.

Jade shot up,heart pounding.She looked around,but nothing was there.Jade started to lay back down,but movement just out of her vision caught her attention.Jade noticed that the light from the torches had dimmed.And that she was vulnerable.Just as she moved to throw back the comforter something pinned Jade down and covered her mouth.Again she heard the laugh in her ears.Saliva dripped from the thing's mouth onto Jade bare neck.Jade screamed against the thing's hand when she she felt hot breath blowing against her neck.Without use of her mouth Jade couldn't use any of her spells.Jade struggled violently against the demon's holdon her,but she couldn't move.Jade suddenly got an idea and ,despite her fear,concentrated on the torch closest to her.The demon yanked her head back,intending to cut her throat,but Jade refused to loose contact with the flame.Her eyes watered,but Jade blinked the tears away.Just as the demon brought a jagged knife to Jade's throat the flame on the torch disappeared,and then engulfed the demon's bird-like head.

It let out a deafening screech as it fought to put out the flame."Knife," said Jade.The knife the demon had dropped flew to Jade's hand.With no hesitation Jade buried it to the hilt in the demon's heart.She didn't even blink as dark blood spurted all over her.Jade pushed the demon off of the bed just as Jaybriel threw open the door.He sighed and walked over to where the demon lay. "They should know by now.Lucky I didn't get to him first though," said Jaybriel." IlLLediel,".At the summons a ghost-like figure appeared beside Jaybriel. "Feed him to the others,"said Jaybriel.The figure nodded.It touched the demon and they both disappeared.Jaybriel shook his head and sat on the bed next to Jade..

"I want to leave," said Jade.Jaybriel shook his head. "You'll be guarded the rest of the night,"said Jaybriel. "I want to leave,"Jade repeated.Jaybriel sighed. "Please don't make this difficult," pleaded Jaybriel. "Then let me go," said Jade.Jaybriel groaned. "You make it sound as if I'm holding you prisoner," he said.Jaybriel wrapped Jade in a hug and kissed her on the lips. "Just until we killed Mei.So I don't have to worry about her coming after you anymore," he said.Jade gave a resigned sigh and nodded.Jaybriel kissed her on the forehead,then left the room.

Later,dispite herself,Jade fell asleep.After making sure she was asleep Jaybriel walked back to where the others sat. "Are ya sure it was her?" asked Alex.Jaybriel laughed dryly. "I'm sure it wasn't her ghost kicking out ass,"he said.Xavier shook hi head. "Why's she coming after Jade?"he asked. Jaybriel rolled his eyes. "A jealous woman,let's leave it at that," he said.Raven snorted,but didn't say anything.Jaybriel looked at Raven. "You're acting as if we couldn't tell that as soon as we sensed her,"said Raven when he noticed Jaybriel's stare.Jaybriel smirked. "To be honest it was for your benefit," he said.Alex and Xavier chuckled,but Raven seethed quietly."More importantly,even though I love humiliating you,Mei is stronger than when she revealed herself eighteen years ago," said Jaybriel. "She was able to appear on sacred ground and mortally wound Ashley Griffin,".

The news shocked Raven,Alex,and Xavier.Ashley had been the main reason Jaybriel hadn't killed Jade.She'd also taught Jade a spell powerful enough to paralyze Raven till dawn.But Jade had spared him only minutes before sunrise.Putting Raven in Jade's debt.Ashley had also fought beside Jade when, and almost succeeded in killing, Alex and Xavier had been slaughtering humans and demons alike.The fact that Mei had become powerful enough to bring down one of the city's most powerful witches made them hesitate. "I know she's powerful,but she's got Jade in her sights and I refuse to let Mei harm her," said Jaybriel.Alex nodded. "Ya heart's in the right place,but do ya have a plan to go with it? Xavier and me will gladly lay down our lives,but we're not jumping in blind," he said. "Jade's gonnasummon her when she's gotten some rest,but as to what we're gonna do exactly is yet to be decided," said Jaybriel. "Then let's quit chatting and get to it," said Xavier.

Jade woke up well rested for a change.She knew Jaybriel had put a sleep spell on her,but she wasn't mad.She'd been fighting since three in the morning and needed the rest.As she was getting up the bedroom door opened.Jade was expecting Jaybriel,but Ed poked his head around the door.He gave her a toothy,arkward grin.Jade sighed and said," Come here,Ed,".With an excited yelp Ed shot into the room and jumped onto the bed with Jade.Wagging his tail Ed said," I stayed here all night,". "Thank you," said Jade with a smile.Ed lay down,placing his head on Jade's lap. "Where's Jaybriel?"asked Jade.Ed was quiet for awhile before saying," He's asleep. And so's Raven.Alex and Xavier went to get weapons,". "What time is it?" asked Jade. "It's noon," said Ed.Jade got out of bed and headed towards the door."Where are you going?" asked Ed worridly. "To get supplies.I can't face her again without my book and my wards," said Jade.Ed glanced around nervously,and then said," I'll go with you even though Jaybriel'll skin me alive,".

© Copyright 2008 Diana (dianicwitch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1370316-Chapter-nine