*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1371305-The-scream-that-wont-let-me-sleep
by Ox
Rated: E · Short Story · Psychology · #1371305
A frightening vision...of the past...of the future? A frightening child stares back...
...As I wait for the last train I curiously look around. There's got to be something to see in this god forsaken hole...What's this? It's a young girl...I've seen the bunny she drags around. I saw it when I was born. One of the few memories from my childhood. The left leg was tore off and some must have sewed it back on. I walk towards the girl and as I do, she abruptly stops. She starts to turn towards me and I get an eerie feeling in my stomach. She doesn't have any hair. Almost as though she had cut it all off with scissors the night before. She doesn't look at me...but rather the ground in front of me...and starts to creep towards me. She is a good fifteen feet from me...and I start creeping backwards...I pull out my pocketwatch and check the time. The train is three minutes late because it's 12:33...This is pretty much typical. I look back up and this girl is now right in front of me and drooling on my shoes...a foul scent escapes her body and almost drives me to throwing up...

"t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t..."

"are you mad?" was the only thing I could mutter from my imprisioning of my fearful body. She then fell over. I was shaking so bad that I only inched backwards...The lights started flickering. They started flickering harder and harder. It's odd when gas powered lights start flickering as though there were a strong enough gust to blow them out...I wish the train would get here. One more look at my pocketwatch and it had only been a minute. I looked back to see if anyone was here...and that's when I saw it. Every sindle locker had a sheet of paper covering...I would have to get closer for further inspection...

She was crawling away and I figured it'd be the time to check the lockers. One was banging wildly as though that strong wind was still active. I felt nothing and went to inspect it. The bunny was in there and I went to grab it...It started to melt like a candle and as soon as I pulled my hand back the door slammed shut. The papers were graded school work. In these days...when kids are put in factories at such a young age...who can put their children into school? Most of them seemed to have big read "U"s across them as for the Unsatisfactory ranking...there was a name written too...

"Cheryl..." as I spoke her name she started screaming. A sharp, high, shrill tone that cut through me and straight to my bone. Chilled me and froze in terror. She was on the train tracks and now she was  latched onto my arms screaming the shrill tone into my face. The lights started flickering once more and the sheets tattered in the fake wind again. I glanced back and where there were the giant "U"s...there were now red, bloody swastikas...as if the paper were actually bleeding them. I threw the child to the ground and started to run. I was as fearful of her as I were her eyes. Those broken, blackened, voidless eyes...I ran away like I had never before and the lights flickered...everything disappeared...and I had almost ran in front of the very train I had been waiting for...

"Was this a dream?" I spoke aloud to myself. I was trying anything to keep my heart from bursting out of my chest...then I saw the bunny in a seat on the train...
© Copyright 2008 Ox (samuraiox at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1371305-The-scream-that-wont-let-me-sleep