*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1371547-Friends-of-Circumstance-Chapter-3
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Experience · #1371547
Marjorie meets Kate and things go wrong.
The sun poked its menacing little head through the sheer curtains in my bedroom much too early for me. I didn’t even know 5:30 am existed, especially on a Saturday, but it came marching into my life accompanied by the annoying buzz of my alarm clock. I groaned exaggeratedly and swung my arms blindly at the thing and managed to knock it from the elaborate nightstand beside my four poster bed. It landed in the plush carpet with a familiar “thud.” I remained in there for a few moments in a position that resembled a victim in an episode of CSI. If I had it my way, I would stay there all day.
         
I knew that it would only cause me greater trouble to do what I wanted instead of what I was told to do. This time was different from the rest. I sat up in bed and mentally cursed my father and the principal. They certainly knew just how to punish a girl. And to think it wasn’t even my alcohol. I didn’t bother picking out the perfect clothes, its not like anyone important would be there anyway. Besides, I was running late, as usual.
         
It didn’t take me five minutes to be on my way. That was a record in comparison to my usual twenty minutes. I pulled into the driveway about ten minutes late but I was unaffected. I did have to check the address twice before I was sure that I was in the right place. I couldn’t believe they were allowed to keep kids in the place. It was a medium sized house with peeling white paint. It had a sagging porch and it was surrounded by a weak picket fence. The stone walkway leading to the house was cracked so I just walked in the grass. Thank God it hadn’t rained or my hundred dollar shoes would be ruined.
         
“Hey, can I help you?” a voice asked from an unknown location. I turned around in a circle trying to discover the speaker. “Up here.”
         
I looked up to see a boy sitting on the lower portion of the roof. His jeans were covered in paint and his face and hands had splotches of it on them too. He had a broad grin stretched across his face and a pair of brown eyes that twinkled with amusement. I had to admit, the boy had potential despite the grime.
         
“Uh, yeah I’m here for my community service. At least I think this is where I’m supposed to be,” I replied.
         
“Oh so you’re the new enlisted help. You’ll want to see Lissa. Go on inside and it’s the second door on the right.” He said and turned to go back to whatever he was doing up there.
         
“Thanks,” I mumbled and continued into the building. I was just about to knock on the door of the office grimy boy had directed me to when it swung open. A cheerful red-head bounded out of the room and nearly pounced on me.
         
“Oh! Hey, you must be Marjorie! Come on in here,” the red-head said. I followed her into the small office and sat down in one of the chairs as she opened what looked like the beginning of a file on me. She moved her mouth while she read and I found myself following the words she mouthed. It wasn’t all pleasant. “I see you are a senior in high school and new to this kind of thing. I have the perfect thing for you. Both of you are brand new and I know she could use a friend. She’s a very charming little girl.” She beamed a smile at me even though she must have been thinking all kinds of things about me. I didn’t reply but she didn’t seem to notice. “Come along with me and we will get you all started today.”
         
         I followed her out of the office. About midway down the hall she halted and turned to me. “Silly me, I forgot to introduce myself. I swear I would forget my head if it wasn’t attached to my neck. I’m Lissa and I am the director here.”          With that, she turned and continued on the journey. I didn’t know what to think about this person. Most people would say she was sweet and nice but I can’t stand perky people. I especially detest people who are perky in the morning. She led me outside and motioned to a picnic table. “Why don’t you sit here? I’ll be right back.”
         
         I took a seat at the table as she disappeared around the corner of the house. There had t be a good two acres of land surrounding it. The table was possibly the most stable of all the things at the place, if you ignored the slight wobble. It wasn’t long before Lissa reappeared and had one of the little runts with her. She gave me another one of her big smiles, they had to be painted or sewn onto her face. I was sure they were every bit as permanent as the light sprinkling of freckles over the crests of her cheeks and her nose.
         
         “Marjorie, this is Kate,” Lissa said, “Kate, honey, this is Marjorie. She’s going to be spending some time with you.” She gently nudged the girl forward. “I’m going to let you two get to know each other better.” Lissa patted Kate on the back and returned to her office. We sat there for a moment. Neither of us knew what to say and I certainly wasn’t willing to make the effort. I did size her up, though. It’s a habit of mine. She was a cute kid. Her long, stringy brown hair was pulled back into a messy ponytail and she had big brown eyes. She even had the cute dimples I always coveted.
         
“What grade are you in?” Kate asked.
         
“I’m a senior in high school.”
         
“Wow. That’s cool,” Kate said, “You’re really pretty.”
         
“Yeah, I know, thanks,” I said, folding my arms tightly across my chest. “So you’re what, six?”
         
“No. I’m nine but I’ll be ten in two weeks.” As she said the words, her face took on a distant look and she stared at her ragged shoes through a crack in the tabletop.
         
“Shouldn’t you be happy? I mean you’re talking about your birthday.”
         
“I’ll be here,” she said raising her eyes only for a second.
         
“Yeah but you get presents and stuff,” I replied.
         
“I don’t get presents. Not since Nana died, anyway.” She said with a sigh. “Will you be here for my birthday?” Her whole demeanor changed when she asked.
         
“Kid, I don’t plan on it. I am going to get out of here as soon as possible.”

“Oh,” she said, “I thought you were going to be my friend.”
         
“Look, I’m here because I got in trouble and that is the only reason. I’m not here to be anyone’s friend. My friends are out having fun right now while I’m stuck here with you.” I knew the kid did nothing to deserve my verbal vomit but I couldn’t stop it. I really didn’t care what effect my words were going to have.
         
“You don’t have to be so mean about it. You don’t want to be here but at least you get to go back to a nice house. I have to stay here. You don’t belong here anyway. Everyone else is nice.” After she finished her little speech, she stood and walked away calmly. I was even impressed by her composure.
         
“Well, that went superbly. Kudos to you.” I turned around and there stood none other than grimy boy.
         
“What were you doing, listening into our conversation anyway?” I replied.
         
“I couldn’t help hearing it. I was working not far away. Those were some pretty harsh things you said to her.”
         
“Well, that’s life.”
         
“You don’t know anything about life. We all get that you don’t want to be here. Daddy failed you this time and you’re only here because you have to be. That little girl, however, doesn’t have the luxury of choosing whether or not she’s here. You could do something good for once in your life. The catch is you have to try in order to do it and you don’t care enough about anyone else to try.”
         
“What makes you think I’m the person to give the kid rose colored glasses to look through at the world? She needs to know what real life is like.” I said. My anger grew with each passing second but I repressed the effects.
         
“She knows more about what a hard life is like that you could ever imagine. She needs someone to show they care. I guess that’s too much for you, though,” he said and turned to walk away.
         
“You have no idea who you’re talking to.” My voice quivered with rage.
         
“I know exactly who I am dealing with, Miss Ashford, and you don’t scare me at all.” He left me standing there alone. It was the first time I knew I had been beaten. I left the children’s home that day feeling angry. I wanted to hunt that guy down and beat him senseless. Even shopping with Claire didn’t help to soothe the river of feelings that I had. The anger faded as the day went on and I fell into reasoning. Why did I have to be the person to show this kid love? What did I even know about love? What could I possibly do to help her?
         
Then came the guilt. I shouldn’t have taken my feelings out on her. The words grimy boy said echoed in my head. They just wouldn’t leave me alone. Claire even noticed the difference in me. We had met up after my time at the children’s home and went shopping at the mall.
         
“Hey! Earth to Jorie!” Claire said in a sing-song voice. She waved her hand in front of my face and I slapped it away as I returned to reality. “What is your deal?”
         
“Nothing. What do you mean?” I asked.
         
“You’ve been weird all day.” Claire replied. She was right. Even the new Steve Madden pumps I bought didn’t help and they were incredible.
         
“I-I have not.”
         
“Yes. You have. You bare said anything all day and you didn’t even act giddy while you practically maxed out your dad’s card. He is going to be so pissed, by the way. So spill it, what’s going on?” I couldn’t help letting it all come out. I told her about the little girl and the things grimy boy said. She was still for a few minutes after my story and looked thoughtful.
         
“I hate to say this but I think that guy was right. This might be a punishment for you but that little girl needs someone,” Claire said, “She could use a person like you and you never know, you might even enjoy it. I think you should go back and try to make things right.” I had a feeling she was going to say something like that. I knew she was right, though. I couldn’t just leave things the way they ended today. I wasn’t sure why but I knew I would be unsettled until I fixed things. I just wasn’t sure how to go about doing that.
© Copyright 2008 Brittney (novembergirl11 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1371547-Friends-of-Circumstance-Chapter-3