*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1373120-Traumatic-Addictions
Rated: 18+ · Other · Health · #1373120
Alcohol is a drug that acts as a depressant and affects...
Traumatic Addictions

Many people resist personal traumatic experience such as divorce, serious illness, resentment at work or loosing a job, and the death of a loved one. The fact that alcohol is available everywhere and widely advertise in the media as the sound of having a good time helps to disguise the fact that alcohol is also a drug with potential to cause harm.

I started drinking heavy at the age of 30. A year followed with nothing but disaster that came my way and I felt so alone as I had no support A strong sense of fear struck me and I started relying on the drink to see me through. A good remedy! to hide my fear; or so I thought then.

But the drinking got heavier.

The fact that alcohol is available everywhere and widely advertise in the media as the sound of having a good time and to hide any fear or emotional disappointment helps to disguise the fact that alcohol is also a drug with potential to cause harm.

Drinking too much lead me to serous social and economic problems and took effect on my mental and physical health, relationships and even work. The effects of drink remained unchecked until my serous addiction developed.
Alcohol is a drug that acts as a depressant and affects every organ in our body. It does not stimulate our brains but it actually slows the central nervous system including the brain.
Alcohol is absorbed into the blood stream from the stomach and moves to the liver, where it is broken down into Acetaldehyde, which is a poison that is strong enough doses, and can damage the brain.
Getting smashed became a habit and I had to drink every time a problem arose my brain was in the mist of getting damage, alcohol poisoning, violence and other accidents not leaving out drowning on many occasions

Addiction alcohol interfered with the ability of my human mind to function normally. With just as little as 10 years of heavy alcohol abuse the significant physical and the drinking caused me much emotional problems. The alcohol continued to interfere for as long as the alcohol continued the disease gets worse.

Alcoholism is an incurable disease. If you only know what it does to the brain! It’s a sedative and it works by putting the brain tissues to sleep. Some, will go insane and wind up with physical brain damage, others will die.

You can never be rid of alcoholism or drugging all we can do is learning to control it.
It is when instincts were warped and bent out of shape it led me deeper into trouble, for every distortion brought me pain. I was becoming aware of the reaction to what happened to me, things that I remember and felt the pain of embarrassment, fear, and guilt.

No one is capable of remembering every incident that happened in our life especially those problems that were created as a result of our drinking. My negative feelings had wrecked me spiritually, mentally, and physically. I buried my defects under thick layers of self-justification that have finally ambushed me into alcoholism and misery.

Taking Over

The idea of making a decision to give up drinking terrified me. I was telling myself “Decisions don’t mean that I must suddenly change everything about the way I live my life. Changes require participation. I don’t have to be afraid. I must turn my will and my life over to the care of God, and help me reach the simple decision to change my direction in life. I needed to develop and practice skills such as responsibility, communications, empathy, and assertiveness.

One night arrived when I was drinking heavy I went in front of the mirror and as I looked at the image of myself I spoke out loud “ I hate you” “ you are so ugly ” then I reached out for the scissors and chopped all my over the shoulders length of hair.
That was it! I knew then it was time for me to give it up. I had to stop and stop now. I picked up the phone and called Detox for help. I was admitted the next morning.

I spend 15 days in Detox and 4 months in the resident recover for alcoholics. It was hard. I felt I was being treated like shit and like a child having to do as I was told. Many times I wanted to run away and forget the whole thing. But I kept reminding myself. I am here for one reason and one reason only (that’s to give up drinking and have a chance of a respectable life). And with God and Luck on my side I will stand a very good chance. I kept reminding myself I came this far I’ve embarrassed myself I lost my dignity I have to keep going forward and never look back again.

Addiction to alcohol interferes with the ability of the human mind to function normally. Alcohol abuse is significantly physical and the drinking causes emotional problems. The alcohol continues to interfere as long as the alcoholic continues to drink.

People have always had the occasional drink, but particularly amongst young people getting drunk had become the expected way to socialize. It's a worrying trend that needs to be addressed.

Drinking too much can lead to depression, serous social and economic problems and takes effect on our mental and physical health, relationships and even work. The effects of drink remain unchecked until a serous addiction develops.
Alcohol is a drug that acts as a depressant and affects every organ in our body. It does not stimulate our brains but it actually slows the central nervous system including the brain.

Alcohol is absorbed into the blood stream from the stomach and moves to the liver, where it is broken down into Acetaldehyde, which is a poison that is strong enough doses, and can damage the brain.
Alcoholism is an incurable disease. It's a sedative and it works by putting the brain tissues to sleep. Some, will go insane and wind up with physical brain damage, others will die.

It is when instincts are warped and bent out of shape that lead us into trouble, for every distortion brings pain. What you want to be aware of is your reaction to what happened to you, things that you remember and felt the pain of embarrassment, fear, and guilt. Don't let is scare or dissuade you, be honest and fearless to yourself.


No one is capable of remembering every incident that happened in our life so deal with the ones that you remember especially those problems that were created as a result of our drinking. Our negative feelings had wrecked us spiritually, mentally and physically. When you have figured out the first problem, then go one step forward and do something about it.

We buried our defects under thick layers of self-justification and have finally ambushed us into alcoholism and misery. Our honest appraisal is the first tangible evidence of our complete willingness to move forward, we must act our way into right thinking. Recovery from addition is a life-long journey of long processes of unfolding journey.
A decision without action is meaningless, as we end up living a very lonely and self-absorbed existence. We need to differentiate between destructive self-will and constructive action. To drink or not to drink Be weary of that first drink for that first drink is what leads us to the second and heavy drinking is unstoppable. Do things that will help you stay clean?

Something happens that challenges everything we believe in and our understanding will undergo a dramatic change. We will find ourselves able to face situations that used to strike fear in us; we will deal with frustrations more gracefully. You will find yourself calmer, less compulsive and see beyond the immediacy of the moment. Many of us have trouble letting go completely.

Willingness often comes in the wake of despair or a struggle for control. Faith propels us forward into action and give us the capacity to actually male a decision and carry it out into action. Trust comes into play after faith has been applied. It will increase our level of freedom and comforted by a loving God who is caring for our will and our lives and we will find we are on the right path. We will be willing to take risks we never had the courage to take before.

 
Author

Mary C Newton
© Copyright 2008 MyDayWillCome (newtonair at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1373120-Traumatic-Addictions