*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1374723-Pair-Shaped
by Jac
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Emotional · #1374723
A tale of tragedy striking after a beach party...
She was facing out to sea. Just beyond the high-water mark, half-buried in sand. She'd been there all night. Alone, when she should have been with her partner, a partner now lost to her forever. The devastation of being alone made her still, inanimate. She was useless now. Only with her partner was she able to fulfill her potential. Only with her partner did she have a home, a purpose, meaning in her life. Without her partner she was now cast adrift on this lonely shore, lost forever.

They had taken so many wonderful trips together - visited so many interesting places. Her favourite was their trip to Thailand where they had visited temples, waterfalls, beaches, even ridden on an elephant. Mundane trips to the supermarket or shopping mall were packed with interest and colour when she and her partner were together. Now alone, the sadness drained her colour away leaving her faded and washed-out. Unattractive. Useless.

It had been such a great party last night. They had been dancing on the beach, surrounded by friends. The music was blaring, drinks were flowing. They so loved to dance, and dancing on the beach was their favourite - the soft, natural feel of the sand, shifting and moving as they moved. That was the last time they'd ever dance together.

Someone walked past her, sitting just beyond the high-water mark, half-buried in sand. He didn't notice her, kicking sand as he walked until she was completely obscured from view.

A lost and lonely flip-flop*, now buried completely beneath the sand.




*Flip-flops can also be known as thongs or jandals
**For obvious reasons, the title spelling is deliberate and not a spelling mistake
© Copyright 2008 Jac (jacster at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1374723-Pair-Shaped