*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1375130-The-Wedding-Party
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Friendship · #1375130
Preparing for her paddleboat wedding, a young woman learns about her fiance' and herself.
Nora took a deep breath and held it dutifully as Daphne, her younger sister and lone bridesmaid, laced up the lilac-edged corset top of her two-piece gown. Quickly pulling the strings tight, the bridesmaid released her breath slowly as if compensating for what her sister could not have.
“Is it feeling okay?” Daphne circled Nora to ensure the silhouette was perfect, scouring each slope for bulges.
“It fits perfectly.” They had been through this routine daily for the past week. It was one of few details Nora tended herself, which automatically made it a priority on Daphne’s endless list of favors and assigned duties. The only arrangement Daphne did not oversee was the flowers, to which their friend Jackson was attending while he was preparing himself to be the best man.
“It’s funny we’re doing this on a boat,” Nora said wistfully, gazing through the porthole of the cabin the ship’s wedding planner had directed them to.
“Why?” Daphne asked calmly, anticipating more pre-ceremonial jitters. “I thought you loved boats and the water.”
Nora didn’t answer. Daphne followed her gaze but found only hypnotic waves beyond the relic’s paddlewheel-clad stern. They licked passing barges pushing heaps of coal until they disappeared into the lochs beyond. The barges seemed in no hurry, but Daphne knew they had to be following some schedule; they wouldn’t be going otherwise.
“Why’s it funny?” Daphne repeated, pressing through her sister’s inattentiveness.
“Well, we’re on this boat, this magnificent historic steamship of a paddleboat, right?”
“Yeah,” Daphne fished. Such abstract questioning was a warning flag.
“This boat is so heavy and so big, but this water that could slip so easily through our fingers holds it up so easily. Then the paddle is powered by steam—hot air, another seemingly weak next-to-intangible force—and we chop on through towards eternity. We’re just being taken along by things we don’t fully appreciate even though we know how much greater they can be than us…I guess it’s about trust.”
Unsure what to make of the observation, Daphne ignored her sister and continued the dressing process. Daphne laid the skirt out on a white sheet for Nora to step into, but Nora just stared at the fluffy volcanic mound of lilac-edged white satin-overlaid layers of tulle, stroking the coast of her corseted chest, her fingers adoring satin. Too elegant for fussy flower embroidery, too beautiful for silly beading, it seemed a worthy reflection.
Finally Nora grasped her sister’s hand as she stepped into the skirt, seemingly not so much worried about tripping as conveying the closeness she felt with her sole attendant. As she felt the ring of fabric rise around her waist, she once more held her breath.
“Are you holding your breath?” Daphne laughed as she maneuvered the zipper, careful not to get too close to the concealing sweep train. “It’s a perfect fit; you can relax.”
Nora released the breath quickly, her words taking on the silent sustainer’s wisp. “I feel better holding my breath.”
“I bet you’ll hold your breath for the veil too,” Daphne joked. “Make sure it fits its best.”
Nora smiled, uncertain which of them was more ridiculous. Daphne wondered if Nora had caught herself speculating about whether sucking in her cheeks might add any noticeable appeal, working her painted mouth curiously as Daphne prepared to open the veil box.
Daphne stared at her sister, stupefied. “You’re considering it, aren’t you? God, you are!” She snatched up the white box from its resting place on a curvy gold wooden chair, her fingers purposefully brushing against the red velvet cushion. “I can’t let you do this. You should be happy about finally marrying Darren after three years, not holding back… It’s not right!”
Nora stared at the area of her skirt that obscured her heel-clad feet. She fanned her face desperately with both hands to cool the burn of oncoming phantom tears.
“Oh, don’t cry. I just want to know you’re happy—and don’t you dare say you are right now.” She cast about the room, hoping for a change of mood before finally settling on something less temporal, her momentarily harsh voice returning to its normal demurity. “I can’t believe you’re getting married today. It just doesn’t seem possible, does it?”
“No.” Nora fretted openly as she smoothed the corset meticulously, apparently mistaking the movement of breathing for wrinkles. “It sure doesn’t.”
“What does it feel like?” Daphne asked, suddenly feeling very small and naïve like a kindergartener. Subconsciously, she brought her hands up before her, letting them hang forward, limp. She looked like an inquisitive squirrel, idealistic, expectant.
“It’s sort of like graduation. Everything’s going to be different today. It’s going to be better than what I’m leaving behind because I will become more, but there’s such expectation.” Nora hung her head, her brows furrowing, further setting young wrinkles. “Such expectation,” she repeated.
“They expect you to be happy,” Daphne said helplessly. She held her arms out to offer her sister a hug, but Nora resisted as expected, still fussing. Daphne smiled at the thought her sister might be happier going through the ceremony naked—she had the body. Daphne closed two steps of space between them and arranged Nora’s heavy chestnut curls, making sure they were separated and fell in the right places. “Don’t you remember that part too?”
“I don’t remember much. I waited in the hall, was escorted down the aisle to the spot by my best friend, they read something sentimental that seemed to mean a lot at the time but was quickly forgotten, I shook the man’s hand, threw up my cap, and it was over. A little later he handed me my certificate, all signed and official.
“After that was the party—you know about that part—with all the relatives and such. They were closer to Mom and Dad than to me; they brought cards and money, watched as I smiled and cut my cake, but I knew they didn’t really care as long as the food was good. Everything happened because it had to. It was all about tradition.”
“Oh, Nora! I never knew. I-I mean—“
“Don’t worry. It’s like that for everybody. You’ll find out once summer comes.” Nora shook her head gravely, the thick tendrils intermingling into tangles she did not bother to fix.
Daphne froze, her hands grasping at nothing as her wrists rested on the tops of her sister’s bare shoulders. “I can’t let you do this,” she reiterated, her body shaking and knees buckling. Her sister had grown increasingly anxious about her coming nuptials over the past month, but now it seemed she was falling apart completely. Now Daphne understood why. “You have to do this for yourself, not for Darren, not for anyone.”
“I’m doing this today,” Nora said with great determination, backing away and causing Daphne’s useless hands to fall heavily to her sides. “There’s nothing you or anyone else can do about it.”
“You’re right,” Daphne conferred. “I just meant you need to do this the right way. You didn’t have that great of an experience at graduation, okay, but today can and should be the best day of your life.”
“It will be. I’m marrying Darren, aren’t I? It doesn’t get much better. I get that part.” She clasped her hands a moment before giving way to fidgeting with her engagement ring, which she had moved to her right hand for the ceremony. She twisted it this way and that as if trying to set a secret dial. Like her sister, she was incurably tactile, always touching, always feeling.
Daphne took a deep breath for courage. She had been stalling long enough. It was time to give Nora her gift and deal with the consequences. “I promised you a gift for after the reception, but you need it now. I’m going to warn you that this is not something I would ever dream of giving you, but it seems like this is the best thing. Try not to freak out too much here.”
Nora closed her eyes a moment and smoothed her hair back with a hand as she exhaled heavily, a feat within itself because of the constricting bodice. She had told Daphne after she bought the dress that, although she adored the corsetry and the lovely shade complemented her bright blue eyes well, she might have went for something just as fashionable but less suffocating—perhaps an edgy red number—but she had to look her most attractive for Darren because he was expecting it. Other brides wanted to be princesses, but Nora would settle for nothing less than goddess status. Daphne suspected her sister further fantasized about being a restrained sex goddess, flaunting what she could without straying too far from tradition. This was evident not only in her signature plunging necklined tops and excessively vented skirts, but also in Nora’s peculiar habit of wandering around the house in nothing but fine mesh underwear when their parents were away, commenting on how it was “quite a shame not to be sharing such perfection.” That was the determining factor in giving Nora this gift instead of the microwave from her registry. Otherwise, the gift could have waited indefinitely.
While Nora continued to grasp for composure, Daphne was checking over her gift. The white paper was smooth against the large sturdy box, the corner folds sharp and flush against the sides. A flamboyant iris-hued bow that would have looked tacky on a less imposing wrapping job demanded anticipation as she set the package down heavily on the cedar chest. It was a big gift, she thought, satisfied as she made sure the smaller veil box was safely out of the way in case Nora tried to run. She’d never leave without her veil. “Have at it,” she said expectantly. “I hope you appreciate this gift not because of what it is, but why you’re getting it.”
Nora crossed the room slowly, her curiosity overshadowing her fidgetry, causing Daphne to liken her beautiful sister to a goddess treading through a dream, the small train created by her lack of physical stature trailing delicately behind her. Nora ran her hands across the packaging before setting the bow aside. “I’d stick it on my head if I hadn’t spent so much time on my hair,” she laughed. Popping the envelope-clean seams, she found the white box beneath. “A mystery,” she smiled as she opened it and gasped. Daphne earnestly hoped it was a gasp of unfound joy, but knew such a response was a longshot. “What the hell?” Nora squealed, her tone doing nothing to give away any further emotional clues as she cautiously poked through the box’s contents. “What’s all this?”
“Well, it’s not a microwave,” Daphne said simply. She laid each item out on the chest. Nora looked confused. “Are you familiar with bondage?”
“Yeah. That’s where you get tied up and spanked. I’m not that sheltered.”
“Well, that’s part of the concept, but there’s more.” Daphne stroked a pair of black neoprene cuffs before setting them aside. “I’ll show you.”
Nora started to back away. “This is weird, Daph. I mean, we’re related.” She looked about skeptically as if to make sure no one was watching. It did not appear there would be tears.
“We’ve always been more like friends than sisters, if that does anything for you.” Daphne knew their blood relationship would make the introduction difficult, but she tried to push past the awkwardness. “Hold on a second,” she said nervously, quickly adding, “Don’t go anywhere.”
“Or what, you’ll tie me up and hold me hostage?” Despite her lightening tone, Nora was not amused. She rubbed her chilled arms at the thought.
Daphne did not leave the room. Instead she went to the wall and knocked loudly. Seconds later the signal was returned. She sat down in the gold and red chair by the door and waited a moment, rousted by the same knock at the door followed by a cheery whistled interpretation of “Here Comes the Bride.” It was Jackson. No one else whistled like that, so shrill and confident, clearly unmindful of anyone else who could be listening for something more.
The door open, Nora and Daphne could hear the roar of waves being beaten by the great paddlewheel, setting a hauntingly melodic through line for the cries of migratory seagulls swooping and diving about, eager for fish. Earlier Daphne observed the flower girl throwing breadcrumbs overboard to the birds, watching missed pieces saturate and sink before being devoured by large fish. It was a wonder anything could live in the river, which was heavily polluted and yet still beautiful.
“So, what have we got here? A little wedding party?” He moved about in what appeared to be some sort of goofy interpretive dance. “A wedding party for the wedding party!” Daphne had all but forgotten their mutual friend had been named honor attendant, which was not that difficult, since he did little besides pick up the flowers. She could have done the job with much less effort, but she appreciated the help, she finally decided as she smacked him and shot him a dirty look for the lame pseudo-joke. “Stop it, okay? Get the ADD under control.”
“Ooh, I like it when you smack me. Maybe one day it won’t be because you hate me,” he teased, dodging to avoid getting hit a second time.
“I don’t hate you, Jackson.”
“Oh, so there’s hope!” he crowed, dodging a phantom blow.
“I’ve got a paddle here,” she warned, cracking a broad smile. “Don’t make me use it before Nora gets to.”
Nora stiffened and backed away from the pair until she smacked into the dresser. She started, spun around, and saw the splayed entirety of the gift. Her jaws slackened with inaudible words and gasps. Daphne hoped they weren’t prayers. Finally she sputtered, “What? You’re-I’m going to do what?”
“It doesn’t have to hurt, you know,” Jackson said easily, turning serious as he took a few bouncing steps towards her, stopping at the dresser they were now crowded around. Nora took a step away, feeling claustrophobic. “Most of us aren’t into the real hardcore pain and stuff.”
“Then why does all of this look so brutal?”
“Well, most of this stuff started out as torture devices, but now it’s gotten to be kind of dual-purpose. Using them, you’ll be able to produce several different effects. It’s all in how you use them.”
Nora examined the leather paddle Jackson handed her. She turned it over in her hands a few times. “It’s like a mud flap from a truck but smaller. Real soft with a nice finish. I bet it could do some real damage.” She played through a mighty swing at an imaginary target. “How do you avoid that now, huh? How do you make spanking someone feel good?” she challenged, tapping it against the palm of her hand.
“Pretty much like that. Find a good less-sensitive, cushioned area where the bones and nerves will be safe like the top of your forearm or somewhere, and just lightly flog it.” His tone turned momentarily serious. “Just be careful and always try stuff on yourself first so you’ll know what kind of force you’re imparting to avoid dislocations and stuff, and things’ll be great.”
“This is a nice set,” Jackson marveled, picking up the flail. He let the black ponytail-like bundle of rubber strands caress his exposed inner wrist. “It is, perhaps, the second most impressive one I have seen.”
“Oh, hush,” Daphne said modestly.
“You know I’m right,” Jackson prodded warmly. Turning to Nora, he added, “You should be proud.”
Nora drew closer with great interest. She looked almost proud as she ran her fingertips over a stunted feather duster. “Really?” she asked, suddenly excited about her strange new acquisition. “Tell me more about this unsurpassed horde.”
“We were over at Jackson’s one night, as usual,” Daphne began, dancing about energetically at the thought of the mythic cache. “We were pretty drunk—“
“As usual,” Nora interrupted good-naturedly.
“Well, I wouldn’t say it was a routine…”
“It’s fine. I don’t care,” Nora reassured. “Just get on with it.”
Daphne slackened, leaning back a bit. “Anyway, we’d been drinking, and this guy goes out to his car and brings back this huge suitcase, all battered and retro. We figure he’s invited himself over for the weekend or something and just didn’t bother bringing anything nicer to keep his stuff in, but then he opens it.” Daphne smiled magnetically.
“It was this incredible bondage kit,” Jackson interjected, ruining Daphne’s carefully crafted dramatic pause.
“No, no, Jackson. You aren’t barging in on my story time,” Daphne cautioned, looking like a crafty game show host.
Jackson halted his wild gestures immediately. He nodded, feigning obedience. “I love it when you tell me what to do.”
Daphne shook her head, rolling her eyes. “Yes, Jackson, it was a bondage kit. It didn’t look as flashy as this one, but it was all handmade. Apparently he’d been building it for some time.
“That alone made it special, but here’s what really sold everybody on it. He made a point to never use it on anyone else. He’d occasionally use it on himself, testing it out, practicing for when he could use it with a wife. That’s what made it so meaningful.”
“That’s nice,” Nora said, smiling a little. She was undoubtedly the romantic of the family, no matter how she tried to conceal it. “Who made this kit anyway?”
“I can’t give names. Wouldn’t be right.” Daphne searched for a subject change. Jackson found it.
“Doesn’t matter—let’s try this stuff out!”
Nora brightened and stood a little straighter from her defeated slouch, but Daphne could tell her sister still was not fully convinced. “How about that little demonstration?” Nora offered hopefully, unable to match Jackson’s verbal enthusiasm. “It’ll be fun.”
“Okay.” Nora shifted uncertainly, her shoulders uneven in a stifled half-shrug, her hips falling at an angle of exact opposition. She looked so apathetic she reminded Daphne of the too-pretty-to-care models from the bridal magazines. “Just don’t tell Darren about our little threesome,” she said finally, smiling shyly.
“First let’s get you set up here with some restraints,” Jackson half-mumbled with busied enthusiasm, gently straightening Nora’s rakish frame like a wayward scarecrow, still managing to rattle her this way and that as she wobbled on the too-high heels she had not bothered breaking in properly because a wedding magazine only suggested scuffing the soles to avoid slippage.
“Here’s the wrist cuffs,” Daphne said, her tone as earnest as a surgical assistant’s as she held them out to Jackson, who was still fussing with Nora. She ran her thumbs across the soft neoprene, a grin of peculiar exhilaration crossing her lips as she thought about her own set.
Jackson straightened Nora’s arms before her like a submissive zombie. He took one cuff from Daphne, undid the generous Velcro, and secured it snugly around her bony wrist. “Too tight?”
“No,” Nora said with slight embarrassment. She flexed her wrist a few times, getting used to the device before adding, “You could probably even tighten it a little more so it wouldn’t move,” her voice suddenly low and rich.
Jackson worked a finger under the edges of the apparatus, carefully evaluating the fit. “This is as tight as it goes. Neoprene’s pretty stretchy.” He twisted his mouth to one side, deep in thought. “Maybe you’d like to try the metal handcuffs later. Just be careful not to get them too tight, or you could cut off your circulation. Also, they tend to create redness if you get very rough, so this is about right for you today.”
Nora nodded obediently, her brows knitting as she watched Jackson Velcro her other wrist. “Trendy,” she smiled, looking to her sister for approval, which Daphne immediately nodded. “I could go out like this sometime.”
“Yep. Actually, you could,” Daphne nodded. “I did once.”
“Tell her the rest,” Jackson goaded, a devious smirk overtaking his understated pleasureful half-grin.
“What are you talking about?” Daphne demanded, feigning misunderstanding, hoping Jackson was referring to anything other than the notorious grocery shopping incident.
“You know,” he prodded evenly. “Grocery shopping last month.” He savored every syllable as if referring to what happened helped him relive it.
Daphne grinned. “You’d have to bring that up, wouldn’t you?”
“Didn’t have to. You did.”
Daphne was speechless. He was always right; worse, he was always there to point out exactly how correct he was. She had no choice but to tell the story.
“Last month a few of us got together to watch this old zombie movie I’d never seen. Jackson here was out of soda. We’d just ordered pizza, so we were in a hurry to get back before it arrived.”
“Couldn’t you have just gone to pick it up?” Nora asked skeptically.
“Daphne liked the pizza guy,” Jackson said as he checked his hair in the mirror, trying unsuccessfully not to look too interested.
“Yeah, uh, anyway, we all decided to go together, like always. Of course, we all went in, like Jackson couldn’t handle a few twelve-packs by himself.”
“So we’re in the store, not thinking anything’s out of the ordinary,” Jackson interrupted, unable to restrain his excitement. “Then we notice all of these people whispering everywhere. We don’t know what’s going on until we realize Daphne didn’t take off all of her restraints, so she’s just wandering around with her legs loosely chained under that hippie dress of hers, her wrists cuffed but not connected, and she’s collared. It was great!”
“Maybe for you,” Daphne grumbled, scouring the floor for sharp objects. “I think we may have passed the math teacher and his wife.”
“That’s alright. Probably turned him on,” Jackson laughed as he clipped the wrist cuffs together. “Collar!” he called.
Daphne tossed the wide dog collar to Jackson, who caught it like a Frisbee. “You should’ve seen us trying this on at the pet store. That sales girl was almost afraid to ask if we needed any help. I’d do it again,” she nodded.
“You always were an exhibitionist,” Jackson said fondly. He ran the tips of his fingers through Daphne’s long deep red hair so lightly she jumped, not sure of the origins of the phantom touch. When she looked at him accusingly, he gave her a dazed half-smile crippled by feigned innocence as he set about fastening the collar around Nora’s slender neck. His put-on daze turned to triumph as Daphne shook her head and turned back to the bureau, fairly certain it was him. Although she had always considered herself less attractive than her sister, Jackson apparently thought otherwise.
“You got this from the pet store?” Nora asked incredulously, staring at the collar in renewed wonderment.
“I could’ve got it with everything else, but it was much cheaper. Same stuff,” Daphne shrugged.
Jackson fastened the collar around Nora’s slender neck. It slid around easily as Nora turned towards the mirror.
“It looks loose, but that’s alright,” Daphne said reassuringly. “Better loose than too tight.”
“You’ve got a really small neck. We assumed it would fit as long as it wasn’t way too big or too little,” Jackson explained.
“And I was just seeing how it looked loose, checking the width and all,” Daphne added. “That’s what matters, since it’s not going to fall off around your shoulders or anything.”
“I guess it won’t,” Nora agreed, turning this way and that, still admiring herself. She looked down and noticed an extra clip between the cuffs. “What’s this for?”
Jackson followed her gaze but did not answer. Instead he pulled the cuffs up by the clip, bringing them to the collar’s buckle where he joined them. ”We added that one.” He smiled in satisfaction as he stepped back. “You look great,” he reassured her. “I’m feeling kind of jealous of Darren here.”
Nora moved to smack Jackson, but the collar kept her wrists from moving more than an inch, causing her to lurch forward as she struggled.
Jackson steadied her easily. “Effective, isn’t it?” he mused, tossing his head arrogantly, dark hair flopping over one eye. He tried to be extra smooth as he fixed it, but Daphne just laughed at his absurd exaggeration.
“What’s the point in using this stuff with someone if I can’t react?” Nora fumed.
“You’ll still react, Nora. In fact, you’ll probably react more. You’ll just have to adjust how you do it.”
“What if I fall? I can’t catch myself.” She stared at her bound hands.
“Safety is the biggest concern. That’s why you’ll both have to be aware of what’s going on. Besides, Darren will catch you.”
“Good point, Jackson,” Daphne agreed, cringing upon realizing how salesman-like she sounded. She trudged on. “A major selling point of bondage dominance and the whole power exchange experience is giving over power to someone else, trusting they will take care of you. Knowing you are less powerful but still so capable makes you feel really good.”
Daphne never knew Nora to accept a concept unless it was very clear to her, so she was unsurprised to observe the outward contortions of her sister mulling over the initial sense of paradox. After she finished fighting the restraints, she sighed in defeat. “Can someone straighten my bodice?”
“Gladly,” Jackson said quickly, tugging the corset uniformly taut.
“Thanks,” Nora said, almost blushing.
“See? That was kind of nice having him do that for you, wasn’t it?” Daphne pressed. “You depended on us to help you, and we did, which builds trust and strengthens the relationship.”
“It all goes back to trust,” Nora murmured. She stared at her engagement ring, twisting it with her thumb as she backed toward the wall.
“What is it?” Jackson asked, noticing Nora’s suddenly somber demeanor.
“This is fun and all in a sick way, but what about Darren? Why are you showing me this if I won’t be able to use it? After tonight I’m bound to one man for the rest of my life, and I doubt this man has a kinky side. Really, I mean, he doesn’t even wear a belt, so why would he like being tied up, let alone having me tie me up? Think about it.”
“We did,” Jackson said, moving uncomfortably. “That’s why we did it.” He cast Daphne a pleading stare, unable to continue the confession.
“We?” Nora asked, turning to her sister. Daphne felt pressured to end what Jackson could not. “We’ve been talking to Darren a lot since you guys got engaged, and his main concern is that you have major confidence issues. He saw how open I am, and he assumed that since it worked for me, it might help you.”
Breathing heavily, Jackson forced his sleeves up and rubbed the mass of fabric across his brow to rid the car wax-perfect beads of sweat. He was headed towards another panic attack. Still, he tried to carry on the awkward redemption. “Well, we’re guys. Guys like porn; guys like sex. Girls like sex too, but they tend to be much more subtle about it with their romance novels and late-night cable soft-core. In way, partaking in porn and putting yourself into it is worse than this, because this is just you two. He’s not looking at someone else and trying to mentally attach your face to their body. It’s personal, special.” Jackson crumbled into the chair.
Nora stared through Jackson. A sheer glare of dissatisfaction overtook Nora’s previous incomprehension as she watched Jackson squirm before her bound inquisition.
“Are you okay with this?” Daphne ventured.
“Actually, I am. I think I understand where this is going.”
“Well, there’s more,” Daphne ventured. “The case belonged to Darren. We just added more stuff to even it out as our gift to you both. After trying to feel you out, he was convinced you wouldn’t be into it, so he called us over to admire it one last time, not knowing what else to do, assuming you’d be too straight-laced to accept it. It was really sad, seeing him toss something he’d put so much into, but he felt like he had to for you.”
Nora was silent, apparently horrified, her hands still.
“That night we got him smashed on cheap liquor, and Jackson nabbed the kit, squirreling it at his house for safe-keeping. After that Darren didn’t say anything about it for a few months.
“Then he started talking about how good it had felt to make the tools with such good intentions, kinkiness notwithstanding. He would tell us how he wished he hadn’t thrown it out, how he should have told you, but he was sure you’d never understand. Then I guess he mourned long enough, and he quit bringing it up.”
Daphne looked to Jackson for help, but he was only mildly recovering from the fearful asphyxiation. She swallowed deliberately, feeling her tongue run the inside of her lower lip, the sides of her mouth crinkling.
“We didn’t intend to show you how all of these gadgets work. The real reason we’re breaking this stuff in with you instead of Darren doing it is so we could be sure you’d give it a chance and not run away or anything and hopefully see it’s not so bad. He can live without bondage, but he seems a lot happier involved with it. We know you’d do anything to make him happy, but we don’t want you to be unhappy trying to do stuff for him. That’s why we did it, since this is something he truly seems to need.
“You were actually getting into it, smiling and growing confident. In that way, this was a success. Sorry we misled you.” Daphne picked up the veil box, motioning for Jackson to fetch the bouquet of eggplant-hued irises from the room next door. “Now let’s get you undone, veiled, and married.” Nora followed, smiling, absorbing. It would be an interesting wedding night.
© Copyright 2008 Becky Everhart (rslynch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1375130-The-Wedding-Party