*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1375385-Backyard-Party
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Teen · #1375385
Events of of high schooler's summer party
         It was a hot, humid June day. Torrie woke up for school early this morning. Today was the last day of school and her boyfriend, Randy, was having his annual end of school party. Randy’s parties have become a last day of school tradition for the kids in the neighborhood. He had a huge swimming pool and there was always tons of food.
         Most of the high school freshmen and all the kids in the neighborhood were invited to the party. Everyone would be talking about it in school today.
“I can’t wait till this day is over with.” Torrie said excitedly to Randy. “I’ll come over your house straight from school and help get things ready. See you later.” She said as she ran off to her first hour class.
         When the bell rang at the end of the day, the students ran out of the school like a pack of wild animals. Everyone was wound up and ready to start their summer.
         Torrie waited by the bus for Randy. As the bus was ready to leave, Randy was nowhere to be seen. Sometimes Randy chose to walk home, but he did tell her today that he would meet her on the bus. Torrie was a little bit worried about Randy as the bus took off without him.
         When Torrie got to Randy’s house, his mother welcomed her. “Thank you for offering to help out, honey.” She turned to look for her son. “Where’s Randy?” she asked. “Isn’t it just like him to come home late when there’s still so much to prepare?” She sounded perturbed.
         A few minutes later, Randy was dropped off in front of the house by one of his friends; a high school senior. “Thanks for the lift man.” Randy said to the driver as he grabbed a large brown paper bag from the backseat. Torrie hated when Randy hung out with seniors. They seemed to be trouble and she didn’t want Randy to start getting into trouble.
         Randy headed straight for the garage in the backyard with the bag in his hand. Torrie followed him. “Who was that?” She asked curiously. “Why didn’t you take the bus with me? What’s in the bag?” She was grilling Randy and he seemed annoyed with all her questions.
         “I needed to pick up a few things for the party and a buddy offered to give me a lift.” He kissed her. “We’re gonna have a great day. How are things coming along here?”
         “Good. No thanks to you,” said Torrie as she finished setting up some card tables in the yard. Something’s up, she thought. Randy was acting very suspicious about something.
         The guests started to arrive. “Mmmmm, smells good. What’s cooking Randy?” asked one of his buddies. It wasn’t long before the whole gang was there.
         Torrie and several other guests immediately jumped into the pool. It was such a hot day and the cold pool was so refreshing. “Hey guys,” Torrie shouted, “c’mon in. It feels great.” She noticed Randy and some of his high school buddies head into the garage.
         When Torrie got out of the pool, she went to see what the guys were up to in the garage. “What’s going on? Why are you hanging out in here?” She asked. She noticed that Randy and several of his older friends were drinking beer. Torrie could feel anger taking over her whole being.
         “The guys and I are just having a few beers. Want one?” Randy asked.
         “No, I don’t want one.” Torrie replied angrily. “You guys shouldn’t be drinking either. What’s wrong with you, Randy? You’re acting like an idiot! Do you know how much trouble you could get into if your mom finds out?”
         Randy snapped, “My mom’s not going to find out if you just keep your mouth shut. Just go and mind your own business, Torrie.”
         “Fine, you and your drinking buddies do what you want. I’m not getting involved. Drinking leads to nothing but trouble!” Torrie spouted as she stormed out of the garage.
         Randy shook his seemingly disgusted with Torrie’s behavior. He turned toward his friends, “C’mon guys. Let’s get outta here.”
         About an hour later, a policeman came up to Randy’s house. Randy’s mom answered the door. “Is there a problem officer?” Torrie overheard as she stood in the kitchen.
         “Yes ma’am, there is,” replied the officer. “I just pulled over a teenage boy for drunk driving as he was leaving your house. I took him home and spoke to his mother. He’s in quite a bit of trouble.”
         Randy’s mother gasped. “Where’s Randy?” she asked as Torrie ran to her side.
         “Your son is in the back of my car right now.” The officer stated somberly. “He was with the drunk driver. He is also intoxicated.”
         “Oh my God!” Randy’s mother trembled and began to cry. Torrie thought she was going to faint.
         Torrie stood watching in disbelief as the officer went out front to escort Randy into the house. Serves him right for acting like such a jerk, she thought.
         The officer turned to Randy. “Explain to us what you’ve been doing, young man.”
         “A couple of the guys brought some beer over. We didn’t think there would be any harm in having a few. Then we went for a drive. It’s not like we’re drunk or anything.” Randy apologized as he stared down at the floor.
         The police officer gathered all the guests in the backyard. “Anyone underage who has been drinking at this party is ordered to call a parent to pick them up. You are also put on notice that next time you are caught drinking, you will be arrested.” All guests were checked for alcohol use before they left the party.
         Torrie felt bad for Randy’s mother. How humiliating and embarrassing this must have been for her. How could Randy have acted so stupidly? She wondered. It’s because of those troublemaker seniors he hangs out with.
         “I’m leaving now.” She said to Randy. “I’ll call you in a few days to talk things out. I’m not sure I still feel the same way about you anymore, Randy.” As Torrie left the house, she was so glad that she chose not to get involved with the drinking. She just hoped Randy learned his lesson.
© Copyright 2008 Baby Sweet (cherstpier6 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1375385-Backyard-Party