*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1375953-Romantic-Romantic-Romantic
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Romance/Love · #1375953
Liz's parents are getting a divorce and Eric is the only one there.
Chapter 1

Now you tell me????

"What?" I screamed. How could this be happening to me? "Lizzy, we can't be with eachother anymore," my dad said trying to calm me down. "Well why don't you two just work out your problems?" I asked. Tears streamed down my face. "It's not that easy," Mom said. "I want to stay with Dad," I said to Mom. "No. You have to stay with me," she said. I didn't try to fight back. I knew I would lose. "Can we at least stay here?" I begged. "Yes we can. But we're moving out of this house in a couple of weeks," she answered. "I love you dad," I said. I walked over to him and gave him a hug and kissed him on the cheek. "I love you too, Sweetheart," he said. I watched him walk out ther door. Why couldn't I stay with him. I never got to see him. Never. He was always working. Even on weekends. I ignored my mom and walked to my bedroom closing the door behind me.
I sat on my desk chair and got onto the internet. Olivia wasn't on. But Eric was. Eric was my best friend befor Olivia. I clicked on his e-mail to IM him:

Lizzy: Eric, You there? :'(

Eric: Yeah. Is something wrong?

Lizzy: Yeah. Can we meet somewhere?

Eric: Sure. Where?

Lizzy: wal-Mart

Eric: OK. see you in a few.

I logged out and grabbed my purse. I told my mom where I was going and walked out the door and got into my car. I drove to Wal-Mart with tears rolling down my cheeks. Why was this happening to me? As I drove through the parking lot I saw Eric leaning against his car. There was an empty parking space next to where he parked. I pulled in and got out of my car. "What happened?" Eric asked. "Mom and Dad are getting divorced," I answered. "What?" he asked shocked. "I didn't see it coming," I said. "Neither did I. They seemed so happy together," he said. "They make me so mad," I said. "Who are you staying with?" he asked. "Mom. I wanted to stay with Dad but she wouldn't let me," I answered. "You aren't moving are you?" he asked. "No. Well, yes. But I'm staying here in town. I'm just moving to a different house," I answered. "OK," he said.
"Do you want to go somewhere?" he asked. "Sure. Can we go get, Olive?" I asked. Olive was Olivia's nickname. Only us two girls had nicknames. We couldn't figure one out for Eric. Mine was Bubbles. "Sure. Leave your car here. We'll take mine," he said. He opened the car door for me and I got in. He got in on the other side, and we drove to Olive's house. I got out and knocked on the door. She came to the door. "Hey," she said. "Hey. You wanna' come with me and Eric. We have to talk to you," I said. She could tell I was serious. She grabbed her purse and got in the back seat of Eric's car.

Chapter 2
Telling Olive and Eric

We pulled into an old gas station. "So guys, what's up?" Olive asked. I turned around to look at her even though I was afraid to face her. I knew that she thought of my parents as her own because her parents were always out partying. She saw the look on my face and asked, "What?" "Mom and Dad are getting divorced, Olive," I answered in a whisper. "What? Why?" she asked. "I don't know. They just shot it at me like a bullet. I didn't even see it coming," I said. "But... No. they can't do that. They were happy!" she was sobbing uncontrollably. I got out of the car and got in the back seat with her and I tried to comfort her as best as I could. It was hard because it was pretty hard on me too. But someone had to stay under control. Eric was pissed off and fuming. When he drove he clenched the steering wheel so hard that his knuckles turned white. I felt like bursting into tears. But I heald it in.
"It's going to be OK, Olive. I promise," I said. "But what's going to happen to you? You aren't leaving are you? Bubbles, please don't leave. I need you," she said. She was crying even harder. "No. Don't worry. I'll never leave you, Olive. You're my best friend," I said wrapping my arm around her shoulder. "Trust me. Everything will work out OK," I said assuring everyone but myself. I couldn't even begin to imagine how hard it would be for me. Me and Mom in a house alone. That isn't going to be pretty. I laughed out loud. "What's so funny, Lizzy. Your parents are getting divorce and your laughing!" Olive nearly yelled. "Olivia, settle down. I was just thinking about how scary it'll sound when me and Mom are in the house alone without anyone there to tell us to stop fighting," I said. "Oh," she said.
"Eric, are you OK?" I asked putting my hand on his shoulder. "Yeah," he answered. But I knew he really wasn't. His muscles were all bunched up and he looked like he wanted to hit something. "Eric?" I asked. "What?" he asked with his teeth clenched. "Relax," I said. "How can I relax? Your parents are getting divorced! I thought of them as my parents too you know!" he fumed. I don't think he understood how much it hurt me. They're my actual parents. I wanted to die. I thought it was all my fault. But I had no one to talk to about it. My best friends weren't even there. They were mad too. I was the one that had to calm them down.
"Guys, it'll be OK, don't worry. We can still go visit Dad you know. He's just going to an hour away. We can drive there anytime," I said. Olive had calmed down my then. "It's just not fair," she said. "I know, Olive. Live isn't fair sometimes," I said. She laid her head on my shoulder. "Why did it have to happen to us though?" she asked. "I don't know," I said. I felt like a mother. But that's the kind of friends I looked for. People that needed help. But in this case, I was the one that needed the most help.
"Eric, Olivia, Don't you think that I don't want this to be happening just as much as you do? I never asked for it to happen," I said. They both just looked at me. "Who said we were ever blaming it all on you? she asked. I thought about that for a minute. "I'm sorry guys. It just feels like that. Eric, you look like you're about to blow up, and Olive, you're... I don't know what your doing. You're just crying," I said. She laughed. "What?" I asked. "Nothing," she said. I rolled my eyes. "Can we go somewhere?" Eric asked. "I can't," Olivia said, "I have to babysit for my mom today." She rolled her eyes. "Okay. Then I'll just drop you off back at your house and then Liz and I will go out," he said. "Okay," she said. She always told me that Eric had a thing for me and she loved it went we went out alone.
We dropped Olive off at her house and I got back in the passenger seat. "I'm sorry," Eric said. "For what?" I asked. "I know how hard it is for you. And Olivia and I are just making it worse," he answered. "It's okay, Eric. You guys are my friends," I said. "That doesn't change anything. We should be there for you sometimes, but we never are," he said. "Eric it's no big deal," I said. It was starting to disturb him. "Of course it is, Elizabeth. Im tired of you having to take care of me all the time. I want to be there for you too, Liz," he argued. "Eric, stop putting so much pressure on yourself," I said. "Lizzy, stop it," he said angrily. "What?" I asked. "Stop babying me," he answered. "I'm sorry," I said quietly looking down. He didn't say anything, he just put his hand over mine. I didn't do anything I just sat there. "You aren't crying are you?" he asked. I shook my head. "I'm sorry," he said. "It's okay, Eric. You're right, I shouldn't baby you. I do that way too much," I said. "I can't argue with that," he said. I smiled and looked up at him. "Liar. You were to crying," he said wiping the tears away from my eyes.
Eric drove us back to Wal-Mart so that I could get my car and I drove home. I didn't even want to go home, but there was nowhere else to go. I walked inside and up to my room. I didn't want to talk to Mom. I didn't want to talk to anyone.
I turned on my television and just stared at it, seeing nothing. Why was I being so stubborn? Tears filled my eyes. Mom and Dad were getting a divorce. Now Eric. Ugh! Why was this happening to me? I was the one that was supposed to help, not the one that needed the help. I put my hands over my face and cried.

Chapter 3
Eric + Lizzy = *Heart*
I lifted my head off of my pillow. It felt like a ten pound weight. I dropped back down on my bed and stretched. How was I going to survive this day? I sat up out of bed and walked across the hall to the bathroom. I turned on the shower and just stood there letting the water fall down on my back. I grabbed the shampoo and scrubbed it through my hair. I rinsed it out and got the conditioner. After that I washed my body and then I got out of the shower.
I got to my room, threw on some clothes and went downstairs to eat breakfast. It didn;t taste like anything. I put my cereal bowl in the sink and walked up to my bedroom. I got onto my computer and checked my mail. I didn't see why Eric would write me when he could have just called. But he did. It said:

Dear Lizzy,
I'm sorry I'm writing so late. But I can't sleep. I wanted to apologize to you for how stupid I acted. I didn't mean to make you cry. I didn't want try to. I wish I could take back the rude things I said. But I can't. But that's not what's bothering me. I want to tell you in person. but Olive can't come. Just you. I need to speek to you alone. Just me and you. got it? Meet me at the High School.
Your Friend,
Eric
I checked to see if he was on first, then I IMed him:

Lizzy: What time?

Eric: 3

Lizzy: Good. Dad is coming over today to get his stuff and I want to see him before he leaves.

Eric: What time is he coming?

Lizzy: noon.

Eric: I'm sorry.

Lizzy: Why?

Eric: I'm sorry that your parents are getting divorced.

Lizzy: Ok. I'll see you later.

Eric: I know you're mad at me.

Lizzy: I know you do.

Eric: I'm really sorry.

Lizzy: It's ok Eric. You were right, I do baby you too much. I should be the one apologizing.

Eric: No, Liz. Just meet me at the high school ok? I need to see you.

Lizzy: Should I be scared.

Eric: I don't know yet. Bye.

We both signed off and I grabbed my phone and called Olivia.
"Hello?" I heard her asked. "Hey, Olive," I said. "Hi," she said. "Eric wants to meet me at the high school today," I said. "Are you serious!?" she asked excitedly. "Yeah," I answered. "He's going to ask you out," she said. "No he isn't. He just wants to apologize to me from what happened last night," I said. "What happened last nigh?" she asked. "He yelled and flipped out on me," I answered. "Oh. That's not good. Are you mad?" she asked. "No I'm not mad. He's right I baby him too much," I said. "Is that what the arguement was about?" she asked. "Yes and no," I answered. "I'm confused,"she said. "It wasn't exactly an arguement. He was telling me that you guys should be the ones comforting me, not me the one comforting you guys," explained. "Well he's right you know," she said. I sighed. "Great, not you too," I said. "I'm not going to yell at you. But he is right. We spend all of our time complaing and whining to you, and we don't even pay attention to you," she said. I knew it was right, but I didn't want to admit to them how much I was hurting. "Sure," I said trying to sound sarcastic. "Don't even try to convince me that you don't have any problems at all," she said. "I can never escape you can I, Olive?" I asked. She laughed. "You got that right," she said. "Hey I got to go. Dad just got here," I said. "Is he moving out today?" she asked. "I'm afraid so," I said. "It'll be okay," she assured me. "I sure hope so," I said. I hung up and set my phone on my desk and walked downstairs.
"Hey, Dad," I said. "Hey, pumpkin," he said. I smiled. "You need help getting your stuff packed?" I asked. "No, I'll be alright," he answered. "Okay," I said. I followed him to his bedroom anyway. "When did you guys start not getting along?" I asked. "After Nathan died," he answered. I felt a sharp pain in my chest. Nathan was my little brother. He had leukemia and died when he was seven a few years ago. "And you guys have been waiting that long?" I asked. He nodded. "We tried to build our relationship back up. But we couldn't do it," he said. "Can I asked you a serious quesion?" I asked. He nodded. "If it were me that died, would you have still gotten a divorce?" I asked. He thought for a minute. "Your mother and I wouldn't be able to do that to Nathan," he said. What did he just say? I got up and stormed out of the room and ran up to my room, grabbed my phone, and strormed out the door, not telling anyone where I was going.
I drove to Eric's house and knocked loudly on the door. He opened it and I fell into his arms and sobbed. "Sh. What's wrong?" he asked. He guided me to up to his bedroom and we sat down on his bed. I waited until I was able to talk and then I said, "I asked my dad how long have they not been getting along and he said it was because Nathan died. And then I aske him if it was me that died would they still have gotten a divorce," I said. "And what did he say?" he asked. "He said no," I answered. "Oh no," he said pulling me into his arms. I started crying again.
Once I stopped crying Eric said, "I guess now's not a good time to tell you what I wanted to tell you," he said. "Oh no. You aren't moving are you?" I asked. "No!" he said. "Oh. Good. Go ahead and tell me," I said. He hesitated. "I wanted to tell you that..." he trailed off. "Go ahead," I said. He just sat there staring at me. "Eric!" I said. "I love you," he blurted out. My heart stopped. I was shocked. "You do?" I asked. He nodded. Before I could say anything else, he pulled me into his arms and kissed me. I pulled away. "I never said you could do that," I said. He laughed and kissed me again.
"Are you alright?" he asked. "I don't know," I answered honestly. "Do you love me?" he asked. I looked over at him. "Yes," I answered after a few minutes. He smiled. "I'm scared," I said. "So am I. I don't want that to happen to us either. And who knows, we might not even get married," he said. I laughed. "What?" he asked. "Nothing," I said. I didn't even pay attention to what he said. I was thinking of how short I was compared to him. "Tell me," he said. I stood up. "Stand up," I said. He stood up. "I'm a shrimp compared to you," I said. "I don't care," he said. "Neither do I. But what will other people think?" I asked. "I don't know," he answered. I thought for a minute. "I don't think they'll mind. Olive wanted us to hook up you know," I said. He laughed. "I know she did," he said. "How did you know?" I asked. "She always bugged me about it too," he siad. "That little boogar," I said laughing.
We sat on the bed talking about what we were going to tell Olivia when my phone rang. I flipped it open and said, "Hello?" "Lizzy? Where are you?" my dad asked. I flipped my phone shut. "Who was that?" Eric asked. "My dad," I answered. "What did he want to know?" he asked. "Where I was," I answered. "And you didn't tell him?" he said. I shook my head. "He's going to get worried," he said. I knew he was trying to get me to call him back. "Who the hell cares?" I asked angrily. "What if he calls the police 'cause he can't find you?" he asked not backing down. "I don't care. I'll hide out here," I said. "Liz," he said. I looked at him. "I don't want you to get into trouble," he said. I couldn't resist those begging eyes. "Okay," I said giving in. "Thanks," he said. "But I'm only telling him where I am. I'm staying here with you," I said. "That's alright with me," he said. I laughed.
"Dad," I said into my phone. "Elizabeth, if you don't tell me where the hell you are..." he threatened. "I'm at Eric's," I said cutting him off. "I don't care where you are! Get your ass back home right now, young lady!" he shouted. "No, Dad. I'm not coming back! Not tonight anyway. What you said hurt me. You shouldn't expect me to come running back home," I said. "But what I said was true," he said. "Asshole!" I shouted and hung up my phone.
Eric burst out laughing when I got off the phone. He looked so funny rolling on the floor like that, that I had to laugh too. "Why in the world did you call your dad an asshole?" he asked still laughing but able to speak. "Because he didn't even try to apologize. All he said was that it was true and he meant it. He acted like I didn't have any feelings at all," I said. "Don't listen to him, Liz. He's just being shitty. I don't know what's wrong with him," Eric said. I smiled. "I don't even know why I wanted to live with him in the first place," I said with a sigh. "You wanted to live with him?" he asked surprised. "I didn't tell you that?" I asked. He shook his head. "Well, yeah I wanted to live with him until just this afternoon," I said. "Were you even thinking about me and Olivia?" he asked. I didn't know why it made him so mad, but it did. "No," I answered quietly. "But, Liz, we're your best friends. What if you ended up going with him and I was never able to see you again? Liz, I love you. You mean everything to me. What if I never got to tell you that? Lizzy, I would die if you left me. I need you. Not because I need help, but because I'm in love with you," he said. I didn't say anything. I didn't even look up at him. "Liz," he said. "Hm?" I asked. "Will you please say something?" he asked. I looked up at him. "I've loved you for a long time, Eric. I just didn't know how you felt about me," I said.
We just sat there for a while in silence. "I'm sorry," Eric said. "It's okay," I said. He came over and sat down next to me. "No it's not. I freaked out on you and it was rude," he said. I looked up at him and he kissed me. When he pulled away, I sank into his chest and closed my eyes. "Tired?" he asked. I nodded. "Then lay down," he said. I sighed. He lifted me gently, pulled over his blankets, and laid me down on his bed. I opened my eyes and smiled. He kissed my forehead and turned to walk out the door. "Wait," I said. He turned around. "I love you," I said. "I love you too," he said. He walked out the door and I heard him walk down the stairs. I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

© Copyright 2008 love hurts (peanutbutter12 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1375953-Romantic-Romantic-Romantic