*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1377739-Some-Unfinished-Business
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1377739
Your mind can play cruel tricks and with comedic timing.Sylvias was long overdue some fun.
Some Unfinished Business...

She was dreaming...She had to be. How could this be her? Trembling she pulled the worn leather glove from her hand with her teeth and looked down. It was a man's hand, large and calloused from too many months on the trail. And strangely she felt comfortable with that knowledge. She even recognized her surroundings. They were on the Texas Trail run herding cattle into Ogallala, Nebraska.
    It was her first time riding with this trail boss, Gage Sanderson, a seasoned veteran of ten years worth of cattle drives. But something else was nagging at her, something that wasn't quite right about Gage. He seemed to watch her every move. A hint of a memory slipped in and out of her mind, but it lingered just beyond her grasp.

She gathered the reins in her hand and patted the little buckskin mustang on the neck. Pulling a hard left she turned him around to survey the country behind her. They had just forded the herd through a calm portion of the river and were taking a well deserved break.
She nervously rubbed the ungloved hand across each cheek, and finding the beard stubble there was more than a little disconcerting. Investigating further she pulled a frayed Stetson from her head and found a bandana wrapped around long dark red hair, braided and hanging down her back. She found herself to be a man of medium height and build with sinewy arms and well muscled legs showing through worn Levis. Kind of like a cross between Willie Nelson and Vin Diesel. Well fitting boots that seemed ages old completed the getup.

Everything felt right and comfortable. But that little niggle in her mind said different. Her hand fell to her side and she realized she was touching a gun. That was it! She had been in a gunfight yesterday…was it yesterday? If she could just remember where and..had she shot someone? An uneasy feeling crept over her as the memory remained elusive.

It was still a rush to feel this strong and invincible. No wonder men always took the upper hand with all this testosterone screaming through their bodies. Even that edge that most women seemed to have had been denied her. But not today, today she could breathe, reveling in the thought that she was a respected member of this outfit. She was a man accepted in a mans world. If she was indeed dreaming, waking up was not an option as far as she was concerned...Not now anyway.


 










Her real name was Sylvia and her real life had been far from a dream. A marriage, and subsequent divorce, in her early thirties had produced one child whom she rarely saw. An overbearing mother and a slew of siblings had made her childhood a constant fight for attention. Something that was scarce in that home. Always feeling second best to her four brothers, she had tried to build a wall around her feelings. It was her dream world, and she lived inside it, ignoring the hateful world around her. But her mother could always get past that wall with her sarcastic comments, making her feel small and unimportant.
  And now here she was driving back from Texas with a mission. She was going home to her family. Going back to do the one thing she felt would set her free. She wasn't looking forward to it, but it had to be done.
  Had she really been so ignorant about life? Her mother had warned her over and over. She was forever bringing up the many failed relationships Sylvia had been through. Citing they were a product of her haphazard attitude about life. There was an order to things, her mother preached, and certain rules to be followed. Sylvia just couldn't seem to follow any of them.

"I really don't see how either of your husbands have put up with you dear" She had smirked over the phone just that morning. She had already known about the divorce papers. Dan had spoken with her weeks ago, but she had waited to call and gloat on the day Sylvia was to receive them. 
"With your childish ways and ALL those bad decisions...Men do like a woman who is pleasant to be around. Not one who is constantly causing difficulties." Sylvia didn't speak a word as her mother continued.
  "I can't believe you didn't see this coming, but then again you never were the brightest crayon in the box" She knew she had heard enough, and hung up the phone while her mother was still talking. She closed her eyes and tiredly rubbed her hand across each cheek.

Her husband had given a better description of her approach to life.
Didn't he always? And it had been a little more colorful.
"Sylvia, I swear you're like one of those damn prairie dogs, just burrowing along in your own little world with no regard to how things are supposed to be done, until it's too late" She had asked him what the hell that meant and he laughed as he told her.

"It means you leave unfinished business everywhere you go. Your whole life is littered with little holes of unfinished business and sooner or later someone comes along and steps right in them. Does the word responsibility ring a bell?" She knew he was referring to her last stab at employment. She had wanted to open a clothing shop and it would have worked too. She just wasn’t that good with money. If the bank had only given her a little more time on her loan, she could have made it work! They had made it so unbearable for her. She had to get away. It wasn’t her fault. Dan didn’t try to reach her. Of course it had ended in a disaster, which had Dan and the bank in a six month long courtroom battle. After begrudgingly bailing her out of that mess her life with him was worse than ever.
 
Just thinking of that awful time and Dan made her head ache, so she tried pushing it all from her thoughts.
Now she was flying down the highway in the little rental car, glad she had decided on the Mustang instead of something more staid. She patted the book stuffed bag on the seat beside her and laughed, thinking of her now ex-husband Dan. He would have rolled his eyes and sighed at her childlike delight.

"My God Sylvia, are you ever going to grow up?" He was always telling her, and all their friends, that if it weren't for him she would be destitute and alone.
“If I didn't watch over her God knows what harebrained scheme she would be up to next" he had announced one night at a dinner party, winking at one of his more offensive buddies.
  “I honestly don't know how she functions; she can barely remember how to get from our kitchen to the bedroom” The whole table had erupted in laughter, and all eyes were on her as she wished she could vanish on the spot. He delighted in reminding her of that embarrassment for weeks afterward.
    Well he wouldn't be reminding anyone else, not with that neat little hole between his eyes. She laughed aloud thinking of the mildly irritated look on his face right before she shot him. She had pulled the gun from her pocket and shakily pointed it at him. He casually draped his jacket across the back of his chair and proceeded to pour his coffee. When he finally sat down at the breakfast bar he gave her that look she had seen a million times.
"What are you going to do Sylvia? Shoot me?" He had sneered. She thought of all the times he had made her feel worthless and stupid and then she answered.
"Yes Dan, I am"

    She stood in the kitchen doorway watching the tiny droplets of blood ooze from the wound. His eyes were still open as though nothing had happened. He seemed to watching her, almost on the verge of speaking. 
  “Nice morning isn't it Dan?" She walked over to the sink to wash her hands.
    “What’s that you say? You needed me to tell you that like you needed a hole in your head?" Now THAT was too funny and she started to laugh.
  “Oh and Mother called yesterday with some fascinating news" She dried her hands on his shirt sleeve.
  “You can thank her for spoiling your surprise, but you know how she is about being the first to say I told you so” She plucked an imaginary piece of lint from his shoulder. Reaching inside his jacket she pulled out two plane tickets. 
    “I hope you don't mind if I take your little vacation tickets. I'm sure that your traveling companion wouldn't have wanted to see Hawaii with a stiff like you" I crack me up she thought walking into the study. Dan’s beloved collection of all things western covered every wall and shelf.
“Gee sweetie, these WILL make a great addition to the landfill. Thanks!”
    Dan had dozens of valuable books and papers on the subject and after stuffing as many as possible into a canvas bag; she turned and walked into the foyer. She stopped and pushed the lever all the way down on the thermostat causing the air conditioning to come on full force. We don’t want the nosey neighbors smelling..I mean finding you too quickly do we dear? As she went down the front steps she could hear thunder rumbling in the distance.

  She had stopped for gas and asked the grizzled old man working the register if he knew a shorter way back to the interstate. He said he did and gave her a set of directions that seemed simple enough, until she tried them. Driving down the back road she passed several steak houses. Well, she reasoned, I can't be that far off the beaten track if there are restaurants this way. It was really a pity that the old man had been so condescending to her when she asked for those directions.
  “Lost are ya?" he grinned broadly sporting more than a few very rotted teeth. She had tried to explain that she wasn't lost, but just looking for a shortcut.
  “Yeah, if you say so " he laughed and gave her directions.
  “Thanks for your help" she said over her shoulder as she was walking out. But his continued laughter stopped her and she turned around.
  "What's so funny?" she asked. He stood up and leaned across the counter and winked at her.
  “Dan said you would need help"
  “What did you say?" she whispered
  “Always leaving unfinished business behind" She felt the blood rush to her face and saw it leave his as she pulled the little pistol from her purse.
  " What'cha gonna do Sylvia?..Shoot me?"
  "Where is he?" She demanded. “Where is Dan?” He looked confused now.
  “Where is who?" It was amazing how much easier it got every time. The same look, the same small hole. Yes indeed, this was the way to go!
 
  To her right she could see a shiny ribbon of water running almost parallel with the road. She could also make out a fence line that went on unbroken for miles. She was hungry and tired and those black clouds behind her promised a gully washer of a storm. She certainly didn't want to be driving in that. It was also starting to get dark and she needed to find a place for the night. She should have reached the main road by now, shouldn't she?
    Turning on the radio she searched for something that would keep her awake, and for a minute could only find talk radio. After finally getting one station to come in halfway decent she realized it was one of her favorite singers and turned up the volume. See, she sighed; even the male singers can continue to croon until they wrinkle up die and still grab an audience. In her rear view mirror she could see that the storm was getting closer.

Evening settled in and around the herd in the form of a mist off the river. Gage had decided to camp close to the water to allow the cattle one more days' luxury in its abundance. The path they would follow for the next few days had a very short supply of water holes, some most likely dried up by this late in the season. The only drawback in his decision was this happened to be the neighborhood watering hole. One could never be too sure what predators would be by for an evening drink, and the herd was already jumpy from the threat of a summer thunderstorm brewing just beyond the mountain ridge.



She had ridden point all day and was exhausted, taking her mount down for one last drink she knew she would most likely be up half the night keeping the sleepy herd from resting too easy. Standing there,waiting for the him to drink his fill, she could smell the meat that was sizzling in the huge cast iron skillets.The low murmer of the other cowbys conversations seemed to and her stomach growled. She then realized how hungry she was. She gave the reins over to one of the youngest wranglers, and he promised her a fresh mount for the evening's watch. Nodding to him, she walked over to the campfire. 
“‘Bout time ya showed yer scrawny ass" Admonished Virgil, wiping his hands on his apron.
"Best meats done et..'cept fer this." The old man winked at her and produced a tin plate heaped with meat and potatoes.

"Coffee's brewin help yerself " He waved his hand toward the blazing campfire, why did everything seem so odd?  Taking the offered plate she sat down with the others and began to eat while Gage laid out the details for that evenings watch. She saw him glance at her several times with a strange look on his face. After he had finished she walked over to him.
  “If you got something to say to me Gage just say it" She couldn't believe the words coming out of her mouth.
  “Ok Sylvia I will" She took a step back shaking her head.
  “What did you just say?"
  “I said I will" She felt herself tense as he closed the gap between them.
  "No, you called me Sylvia" Now it was his turn to shake his head.
  “Why in the hell would I call you Sylvia? You been drinkin?" He laid his hand on her shoulder and put his face close to hers. In a mocking tone he said.
  “It’s always unfinished business with you ain't it?" 

She kept driving and after a while she realized she hadn't seen any more buildings. A couple of fat raindrops hit her windshield and the singer on the radio kept singing the in the same mellow voice. Oh yea THAT'S going to keep me awake, she punched another button to find something a little more upbeat. More talk radio, god she hated talk radio hosts, they reminded her of a couple of boyfriends she had years ago, talking to hear themselves talk. Why couldn't she meet one of those men she was always reading about? In the books her mother loved to call white trash novels? Cowboys, pirates and dashing adventurers who were sensitive and caring, she laughed out loud at that thought. Hell, let’s take it a step further, why couldn't she have BEEN one of those guys? Take cowboys. Now that would be the life. Riding the range doing what you wanted, when you wanted with no ties to anyone. My lord Sylvia, her mothers’ voice droned in her head, none of those tales are true. That's why they call it fiction.
      Looking at her watch she wondered how long it would be before anyone would miss Dan. She was sure his vacation had been planned for months in advance, that’s the way Dan was. Always thinking ahead and double checking everything. But the tickets had been open ended so returning home soon may have not been on his itinerary. It was a shame his 'friend' had been killed last night. He never had time to read the paper that morning or he would have seen the headline. Seems she had been killed by a gunshot wound to the head. Damn, that had to hurt.
    She changed the radio back to the previous station. It was the same singer just a different tune. They must be doing a special on him, like a tribute, she smiled as the music eased into another old standard. The sound of the rain, the soft swish of the wipers and the music on the radio seemed to blend into one soothing sound. She hadn't felt this relaxed in ages as she drove through the Texas night.






Riding in a circle around the softly lowing cattle, she felt as though her eyelids were being weighed down with stones. She couldn't remember the last time she had been this tired. Nodding to the other watchman as they passed for the eighth time that night, she heard Gage singing to the herd. He had a deep melodious voice and she couldn't understand why this kept the cattle awake.  She could hear thunder rumble now as the storm seemed to be heading their way. All she could think about was what Gage had said. What had he meant?  And why couldn't she remember? A couple of fat raindrops hit the brim of her hat.

"DAMN!" She muttered turning to get her slicker that was tied to the back of her saddle. It proved to be a bad move as a bolt of lightning chose that moment to strike the ground on the river side of the herd. It was sudden and absolute pandemonium as the herd bolted in an effort to escape. Her mount went into action immediately and she barely had time to think as he sped after the fleeing cattle.

She knew all they could do was ride with them until they either gave out or calmed down, hopefully within the next ten miles or so. Another flash of lightning gave her a look at the terrain they were running headlong into. What she saw terrified her. The landscape was littered with little holes…prairie dog holes… They would surely lose some of the herd that night. All it took was one wrong step and a cow or horse's leg could snap like a twig. So far so good, everyone seemed to be avoiding the deadly traps and the herd was tiring out. The thunder rumbled all around them and then the rain started to come down in sheets. Then another flash of lightning, this time right in front of her, startled her horse just enough to make him veer to the right. Before she could blink an eye it happened, so fast it seemed to be in slow motion. There was Dan standing there frowning, with that neat little hole between his eyes! She pulled back on the reins as hard as she could but the pony just kept going right into the middle of the prairie dog holes. Then he just fell out from under her and she felt herself flying towards the ground. A calmness swept over her as she realized this would probably kill her; hitting head first she was sure she felt her neck crack. The last thought that went through her mind was a strange one, hadn't Dan warned her about those damn prairie dogs?


"Ma'am? Are you alright?"...The rain felt good on her face, but that stupid light had to go. She struggled to open her eyes and when she did she had to blink them in disbelief. She was sitting in her car in the middle of a cow pasture her windshield gone and soaking wet.

" Ma'am?..Can you speak?" a deep voice asked. She slowly turned her head to see someone peering in the window at her pointing a flashlight in her face. Her eyesight was blurred but she could tell by his tone he was concerned.

"What happened?" She croaked pushing herself back from the steering wheel.

"Don't you know?" the voice asked gently. Her head hurt and she reached up to gently touch a bump on her forehead

"Yes..I...Well no I don't" she answered lamely. Where was the herd? What happened to her horse and Gage...and Dan?

She looked around for the others and saw..cows..regular old cows. The herd was gone, the chuck wagon, everything and everyone.

"How long have I been here?" The man tried opening her car door but it was jammed shut.

"From the looks of you and your tire tracks maybe thirty minutes...I've called an ambulance they should be here any minute. I'm thinking you must have fallen asleep at the wheel and crashed through Virgil Denton’s fence up there" He pointed up a hill about a hundred yards away.

"Took yourself a ride too, you must have been airborne. Lucky for you there are no trees out here to crash into, your windshield must have busted out when you hit the ground" He squatted down beside the car to get a better look at the damaged door. She felt as if she were hearing this from somewhere else, but yet here she was.

"I was in a hurry to get back home" she finally said her eyes frantically searching the seat beside her for her purse. Papers and books were everywhere.
"To see my family" she continued. Where the hell is it?
"Really?"
"Yes. I have a little unfinished business with them. Especially my mother" She leaned over to look in the floorboard, still more papers.
"Looking for this?" he held up her muddy purse.
"It must have been thrown out of the car" he added.
  She smiled and reached for it but he held on to it for a minute as though judging its weight. She tugged on it slightly and he let it go.
“I guess I was lucky you came along" She said as she wiped the mud from it with her hand.
"That part wasn't luck ma'am.” He smiled “I’ve patrolled this part of what used to be the Old Texas Trail every night for ten years" He leaned away from the car and it was then she noticed the badge on his shirt.
"Oh I see ...you're a policeman" He smiled again, his face so familiar.
"Well actually they call me the Sheriff...Sheriff Sanderson" She stared at him her mouth open in shock.
"Could I see your license and registration please" he continued pointing to her purse. She nodded and unzipped it slowly.
"Unfinished business" she mumbled as her hand touched the gun inside.
She could hear the ambulance sirens echoing over the field and thought...I must be dreaming...I have to be...





© Copyright 2008 Pandora (pandora3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1377739-Some-Unfinished-Business