*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1378821-Hambone
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #1378821
a story about a little dog name Hambone who became a girl's best friend.
Hambone


This is about a dog name Hambone, let me tell you how hambone got his name. One day my grandfather and I had been fishing, I love to catch fish, when I put my hook in the water with a long worm on it the fish would grab it and run away with it, that was the thrill to me especially when I would pull out a big catfish. That day me and my grandfather went fishing. We caught a whole string of fish, we were going home to have a fish fry and we heard a noise in the bush it sounded like a whining sound and there was a little black and white dog lying there with his leg broken.

My grandfather picked the little dog up and carried him home. He put a splint on the dog's leg so it could heal we took a box and made him a bed with the side out so he could get out if he wanted to, it took awhile before he could. I had to bring him his food and water he got really spoiled after a month of that. His leg started to heal and he was hopping around a bit. we gave him a hambone to bite on to keep him company he loved it, if you tried to take it way he would growl. That is how he got the name Hambone.

He got so that he could ran and play with me we had lots of fun together. We went every where with my grandfather, we went riding in the wagon down in the woods to cut some wood and hambone would chase birds and rabbits he could never catch them because of his bum leg it was fun to watch. Hambone and I had a long life together he was my best friend. I became a teenager and he became a old dog. whenever I would leave off for school he would look so sad. when I would come home I would play with him and he would be happy but I could tell that something had changed in my dear friend, he was tired.

I came home from school one day and I didn't see hambone and he didn't run to meet me. I called out for hambone and searched and searched for him I begin to worry. I went and told my grandfather that I couldn't find him he told me not to worry he probably was off somewhere chasing rabbits but it didn't ease my mind I couldn't sleep thinking about Hambone all night. I got up early that morning to look for Hambone I went aound to all the neighbors asking if they had seen him. all the kids help look. after an exhausting search all the kids went home, and a sat on the front porch feeling really sad. I decided to look under the porch and there was Hambone laying there stiff like cardboard he was dead.

I called for my grandfather and he told me to go in the house and get some paper. I cried and cried. I didn't know what I would do without my best friend. I decided I would have a funeral for Hambone I invited all my friends and family. My grandfather dug a deep hole we put a blanket in a box and put Ham bone in it and covered him up. I asked my grandfather to say a prayer for him. we buried him in our back yard. I've never forgotten Hambone. I carry him always in my heart.

© Copyright 2008 lilnicecy (trinitra32 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1378821-Hambone