*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1381276-Ticket-blues
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by ules
Rated: E · Short Story · Women's · #1381276
trying to develop a character and this short story is a result.
“I honestly forgot,” Heather spoke innocently.
“I reminded you everyday last month,” Karen scolded as she shifted her weight to the other leg and placed her hand on her hip. “How can you be so irresponsible? You have very few responsibilities, yet you always manage to let me down.”
“I’m sorry.”
“You’re always sorry.” Karen’s paced around the room. Click click click click the sound grew louder with each step. Why must I always correct the mistakes due to her laziness and immaturity? I don’t have time to deal with this right now. The benefit is right around the corner and there’s still so much to be done.
“Just give me the ticket.” Heather took the threatening slip from her purse and handed it to Karen. Her mother snatched the paper. “Dinner is in an hour. Be ready.”
Karen left the room and walked down the hallway. She walked with haste although her step was light against the maple flooring. Her husband appeared in a nearby doorway, “Hey hon. What’s going on?”
She faced her husband and placed her arms around his neck. She kissed him softly on the cheek, “I need to finish some paperwork in my office,” she smiled moving her hands to his shoulders. “I have a special dinner arranged tonight. You’re going to absolutely love it.”
“You always take such good care of me.” He kissed her forehead, “I love you.”
“I love you too.” Karen continued down the hallway and entered her office, closing the door behind her.
“Mr. Davis please.”
“Karen Mansfield. We met at the Governor’s Ball last spring. My husband and I would like to extend an invitation for you and your family to attend dinner at our home. A chance to mix business with pleasure.” She laughed politely.
“Mainly to discuss you’re platform. We’d love to offer support to your campaign.”
“Absolutely. I have concerns about how decisions will affect communities. Individual families.”
Karen passively listened to the typical political response.
“I look forward to hearing more from you very soon Mr. Davis. Please give my regards to your wife. ”
“Richard is wonderful.”
“Heather? You have a fantastic memory” A devious smile swept across her face. “She’s in her first semester at the university. She’s extremely focused on her studies.” Karen chuckled, “She actually forgot to replace her inspection sticker. She was on her way to the shop when a police officer pulled her over and issued her a ticket.” She waited for the predictable reply.
“I would appreciate that very much. I’ll fax the information over tout de suite.” She replaced the receiver and smiled to herself. What would they do without me?
© Copyright 2008 ules (ules0102 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1381276-Ticket-blues