*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1382844-Chapter-2----Incompetence
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1382844
Chapter two continues to set the stage for the events to follow.
Please note that the underlined parts are contributed by other writers on the project, however feel free to make comments and ratings based on there work as well.


Chapter 2.                      ‘Incompetence!’                                         

                                                                                                                                  “Of course you of all people should now that I like my ale dark”. And a man screams “hey he touched your ax!” And then the person next to my axe that’s against the wall says “what are you going to do about it?” then I tern around quickly and grab my throwing axs in my side holder and throw one! Then the man next to the ax grabs my throwing ax as its heading for his chest. And he says “is that all you got OMOTO?” And I recognize that it’s my old friend ONOTS and I say “how did you find me?” ONOTS says, “Well I asked around in the fire clan and they told me that you were traveling here on boat, so I asked some people around the earth clan and they said that you were here at this bare”. And OMOTO says “well that we seen each other again you should have a drink a dark drink….Bartender”

  Most in the bar ignore the two choosing instead to focus on there games and drinks. Omoto is a regular here-when he’s here. And his mouth is nothing new. However who comes thru the door next creates the exact opposite reaction…

                                                  ***********

The boat creaks as it rocks back and forth against the dock.  Lena Wheyfinder never could sleep in port. The motion was wrong! At least it was not land, it did not move at all! The pore captain so young has to spend three nights on shore. He did want the opportunity though, and it will be a good experience for him. Restless she gets up to go on deck, swinging out of her bunk she was in her traditional light khaki blouse and snug blue clam-diggers. She was short for a water claner yet she still looked down on any sun. She wares her Wavy brunet hair half way down her back and tied back in a blue bandana.
Before she could go up on deck the door suddenly opened, revealing one of the sailors she put on the night watch. Startled and irritated for it, she demands “What is it sailor?” “Sorry Maam, but there is some activity we thought you should see!” grabbing her cutlass from over the door she shoves it into her sword belt and heads out into the night.
“There” says Donk pointing towards the mouth of the large harbor. “Six of those half riggers in the mouth of the harbor, they showed up around dusk, all not expected, and bearing the dragon symbol.” 
“Having dragon ships show up unexpected is not odd, every one knows that. It’s just how they operate, and given the present circumstances it should be expected.”
“True but ever since Jon here spotted it. we have been watching them and they don’t move like dragons. they are moving to passively and there has been several parties launched as soon as it made night fall. Not only that, but look how they are not sitting together each in such a way that if a ship wanted to leave, they would have a time and a half of it. I think, with all that’s going on, no one here has paid it any mind.” 
Lena’s eyes narrow “if that do be the case then something is happening that we don’t want to be any part of.  Jon, go down and wake the crew, give the order to arm.  Jingo, loose the moorings and set us to drift, let us out slow though, let’s not attract any special attention.”  With all of the ships in the harbor and a little luck we might even get off a warning to the captain. 
                                                  ***********
Shana, Dow, Young. finishes conveying her commands to her caption and Dashua.* As she walks down the gang plank in her emerald green silk gown and matching shoes,  Her servants and guards spread out.
Reaching the dock, she and several others have trouble not slipping. “The docks here are made of some dark wood that is very slick; these earth claners do not know how to build on the water!” lady Young says, “of course my Lady” her captain replies.
Arriving so late to any party is bad but arriving late for this one will not be forgiven, she must succeed in her mission. 
“The dock is unusually empty, all of the dock hands must be taking advantage of the absents of there headmasters. Only a few guards are standing about on the docks, the pore things must have all gotten the short straw. That will not save them from the tongue lashing they are about to receive”.  Pushing past her forward guard-despite there protest-she approaches the dock guard nearest her party. “Excuse me sir! despite the events there is no reason for you not to have someone here to great me cordially. send yourself to get me a carriage. Mine, is being offloaded as soon as you wake the hands from there stupor. However I do not have the kind of time to wait on incompetence!”
The man turns to her “well my lady excuse me for my ‘incompetence!’. Let me take care of the problem.” he says while suddenly drawing his sword. Only then does her and her party notice why the dock had been so dark and slippery!

                                                    ***********
      Aveanda wandered in the crowd, and in her thoughts.
Ordondo-a true Dragon if there ever was one-He belongs to a time I still do not understand, and hope will not come again. I shake my head softly- battlefields and attractions are not a good combination- perhaps neither are Dragons and Queens.
  Thus occupied I almost forgot my surroundings until Aleana Borrind caught my attention and gave me a certain look. She was right, I need to open my eyes and see. So, I look around, what I see is not encouraging. High King Osolo is standing like an island, surrounded but alone, his normally stoic face betraying some internal battle. His Lady Aleeana looks strained, and the generals seem to be balanced on their toes, ready to pounce, but why?
  Lady Aleeana and General Leeana -de' javu- never good with those two. There's a strange feeling to the air, a thickness you can almost taste. Laughing, oblivious guests, seem to spin with the room, how do they not feel it? I shiver to myself; this gathering suddenly feels like a masquerade, all the glitter a mere facade, but what will be revealed?
  Taking a breath, I smooth out my worried face and decide if they can hide, I can wait, and watch. Aleana passes by and mutters, "keep an eye on those women". I couldn't agree more.
A noble of some rank caches Aveanda’s eye and makes a beeline for her “Ah, lady Aveanda!” he calls as he closes on her. He is well dressed his dark blue suit is accented with gold trimmings while his dark hair is accented with grey streaks. “Remember me? At court, we meet… on the case of Doushier verses Monod. You did a wonderful job presiding on the case. But where are my manners I am Lord Dou Demanred. I own an estate in the western foot hills of the Dragon Mountains. I was only three miles from one of your recent battles. Actually there where some dragons that came and turned one of my fields into a grave yard. But back to the point, I am interested in two things, do you have a moment?”
                                                  ***********
    Arianna take’s a sip of the red wine brought to her by one of her attendants. 
It’s strong, slightly bitter and dry.  I hide my grimace---to each his own I suppose. Fleetingly, I think of my late brother, so cruelly taken in battle three years ago.  I place the goblet back on a passing tray and turn to face the crowd once more. 
      I speak briefly with a lady of the water clan---Alaya Fgidrin. A tall young lady of 20, she is well-spoken and intelligent.  Her violet eyes sparkle as she speaks of her people and a recent success against the elves. Then she turns her attention to my dress and admires its details.  A strange jump in topic I think to myself, but then we are the leaders in fashion. I smile to myself as I speak of the latest trends (elbow flutters if you must know).  I smile as I excuse myself to mingle some more. 
    My eyes widen as I spot an all-too-familiar face.  What is he doing here?  Memories and emotions tumble through my mind like a loose sail in a stormy sea. Disbelief, confusion, joy and horror wash over me. Pictures keep coming into my head--I am powerless to stop them.  A letter, dried yellow rose, promises, poetry, an old bridge.................
  Arianna stirs nervously as yet another noble is announced.  Turning around she stands face to face with the stern face of Nalco, lady of trade of the tree clan. “I have a word for you on our trade agreement!”…
                                                          ***********
    Ordondon walks around the room navigating through the large number of people.  Thoughts start running through his head about where he has been what he has been doing.  He then sees a balcony out to his right and proceeds toward it.  He rests his hands on the railing and starts to consider what was running through his head; Thoughts about previous wars and the like.  He knows he should be inside conversing but he wants to settle these constant thoughts.  He wants to improve his strategy; he wants to learn the tactics that other captains use.  He wants to advance in rank and soon lead a fleet of ships.  His mind is on other things as well, the meeting for instance:  He would like to speak at the meeting but he did not have the right words to say.  Or even the way in which to say them.  But he had settled the main thing: strategy.  So e decided to go back in.

    He lifts his hands from the railing and removes the pressure he placed upon them.  Blood starts to run back to the tip of his fingers.  As he begins to walk back in he notices something, it catches his Immediate Attention.  It is a young lady standing at the end of the balcony just sipping at a glass of wine.  “Her beauty is unreal.  Dress is fairly modest and reflects a certain amount of elegance and yet simply made.  She wears it like my boat sails through the wind when it is gliding on the shimmering water alongside the shoreline ever so gracefully.”  He thinks to himself.  And so forgetting his real objective for being here he decides to approach her and introduce himself…


                                                        ***********

Mina composes herself as she inters the room. It requires great trouble to get into one of these parties without an invitation. With her jet black hair up in a netted bun and dressed in a cabernet red and black Cheongsam,**  she blinds in well with the dragons in the room, of coarse matching dragons is not as easy as it sounds. There are many subtleties in the cut, colors, and accessories, of what they wear, which other clans have little grasp of. Smiling with her slanted eyes at various nobles as she makes her way through the room she Spots the king and makes her evaluation. The time is not yet right. Moving out to the balcony she sets herself into a spot perfect for her to watch her objective. 
As she waits a young captain walks out onto the balcony. If it was for nothing else his height gives away his clan, but of coarse there are many such tells and some just as subtle. She gave him no more thought until he walked up to her.  He then introduces himself; quickly she calls up her memory of her dealings with waters.
Bowing slightly she says, “May the wind be to your back. It is nice to meet you captain, my name is Lady Mina Shownfay, of the Dragon Clan. Might I ask the name of your vessel?”
She immediately can tell her words got the response desired, this will be fun.

                                                        ************

*Dashua- moon clan term for a very high servant trusted like a noble’s right hand. They are sworn at birth to serve and protect, they are usually the same age living together there whole lives.

** Cheongsam. - The common, traditional Chinese dress.
© Copyright 2008 Che'joey (osolo007 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1382844-Chapter-2----Incompetence