*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1383049-Im-surely-going-to-shatter
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Experience · #1383049
Prompt writing: write from the piont of view of a glass on the edge of a table.
She placed me to her lips, laquered in a deep red, and emptied all of the fruity, full bodied red wine into her mouth.  This was about her fifth glass tonight.  I could tell because she would be walking around, mingling and chatting, and would occaisionally splash some of the wine down the sides of me.  A couple times I was sure she was going to drop me, but luckily she didn't.  The music was blaring and some young man asked her to dance.  She sat me down, not surprisingly close to the edge.  Of course she was having a good time, thats how the nights always began, but surely enough, things would start to go down hill quickly after the next glass of wine.  There is too much commotion going on here, I can not see her through the people standing in front of me, but I hear that voice, loud and clear.  "Come on Alex, isn't it time for a toast for your birthday?"

Earlier that night, in preparation for the party she was throwing, she had already made a trip to the local grociers and picked up the necessities to make all of the finger foods and appetizers for the medium sized group they had invited over to celebrate his thirtieth birthday.  She had picked up the cake, and stopped at the liquor store to grab the necessities there.  She did everything that she could to make the party perfect, just for him.  But when she walked into the house the was a message on the answering machine.  It was a number she had not recognized, so she decided to listen.

"Hey Alex, its me Laurie, I know your phone probably died and you told me not to call this number, but when I had called you in the first place it was to tell you something really important.  I know you are always saying that you want to get away from her... Well, maybe now you can." The slow alluring voice on the other line paused. She did everything that she could not to pick up the answering machine and slam it up against the wall. "I'm pregnant, Alex. And I bought two tickets to Savannah, you know how I told you I have a house down there. Lets just get on a plane and get out of here." Another pause... this time it was longer than the last and the phone beeped because the message was too long.  She promised herself right then and there that she wasn't going to cry over him.  She wouldn't give him that satisfaction and she sure as hell wasn't going to let him hear this message,no, she would tell him tonight.

So I watched her, as she prepared for the party, from the counter where she had placed me after filling me up with wine.  I could see it in her eyes, she was trying as hard as she could to pretend that everything was okay, when really, deep down inside she was shattering into a million little pieces.

She poured more of the wine into me, and picked up the spoon setting on the table next to me, clinking us together. "I'd like to make a toast to my wonderful boyfriend! Can I please have everybody's attention?" Everyone in attendance looked up from their conversations with wide eyes and smiles, all eyes were on her. She caught his eyes from across the room. "First of all I just want to say Happy Birthday, Baby.  I wish you well for the rest of your life, and secondly," she sat me back down on the edge of the table, and placed her hands on her hips, in a defensive stance, " I just have to say congradulations. Laurie called and wanted to tell you that you two were going to have a baby!" She was fuming now, and in her anger she grasped me up once again, raised me in the air for the toast and pulled me back to her lips, draining the whole glass down in one gulp.  She went to place me back on the edge of the table, but hesitated and flung me straight at Alex's head.  I hit the wall with an astounding clash, and fell to the floor, shattering into a million little pieces. 
© Copyright 2008 desireemarie (desireemarie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1383049-Im-surely-going-to-shatter