*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1383062-Fluffy-Gone-Missing
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #1383062
Follow fluffy through this neighborhood adventure.
It was a beautiful day. Fluffy had been lost for over a week and Mrs. Smith was going crazy looking for him. She had walked around and around her block yelling "Fluffy, Fluffy" for seven days straight looking for her faithful friend. Upon returning home on the seventh day, she saw something black and white on her front porch. "Could it be?" she asked herself. Could Fluffy be home? she wondered. She ran to the steps. Well, she ran as fast as a seventy year old woman can run so you might say she walked quickly. But as far as she was concerned, she ran. She ran so fast to her beloved Fluffy.

The cat stretched his front paws far out in front of him and pulled his back into place. Mrs. Smith couldn't wait. She leaned down and pulled her beloved Fluffy to her chest. She stroked his fur and kissed his head. "You stink," she told him. "Well, we can fix that."

After getting him inside, Mrs. Smith ran a sink full of warm water in the kitchen. She sat the kitty shampoo beside the sink and took the lid off so that she could easily get to it. She lay a big towel in on the counter for after the bath.

Mrs. Smith picked up her beloved Fluffy. She cuddled the small cat and carried her to the kitchen sink. She spoke softly to the cat and assured her that everything would be okay. She didn't even notice the sink full of water until suddenly she was in it.

He meowed and scratched and bit his owner. She held her hand around the back of his neck where she could fight but she could not get away. With her other hand, she poured some shampoo on his back and then scrubbed the small cat. The potpourri fragrance filled her nostrils and she assured her best friend that this would make him lovable once again.

Mrs. Smith used her short nails to scratch the cats back as she lathered Fluffy. Soon she was done and ready to rinse. She allowed the water to begin to dissipate from the sink and turned on the faucet. She used one hand to adjust the water to the desired warmth and then used the sprayer to spray into the side where Fluffy was not. When she was convinced that the water was warm enough, Mrs. Smith started spraying on top of Fluffy's head and slowly moved along his back until all the soap suds were gone.

She turned the water off and placed the cat in the middle of the large, body towel. She wrapped her friend and then towel dried him as much as possible. While still wrapped in the towel, Fluffy was escorted to Mrs. Smith's bedroom where she sat on the bed. She could reach the hair dryer from where she was sitting and she adjusted the setting to warm, not hot. Then she uncovered just Fluffy's head. She very carefully, in short spurts, dried his head. She never left the air on one spot too long for fear of burning her baby. As she dried each section of the cat, she uncovered a little more and dried that section until Fluffy was completely dry.

Satisfied, that her best friend was clean and dry again, Mrs. Smith opened the front door for Fluffy to take his evening bathroom break. Three hours later, he still wasn't home. Mrs. Smith knew that tomorrow she would have to go and look for him again, and this was fine with her, because looking for Fluffy had been her daily routine for the last twelve years.
© Copyright 2008 Daphne Matthews (daphne123070 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1383062-Fluffy-Gone-Missing